Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: Forty Licks talks
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 8, 2023 19:56

georgelicks
Forty Licks is back on the Billboard 200 at #61 with over 12,000 units, 1000 sales and over 11000 streaming points.

[www.billboard.com]

So this I find fascinating. In it's first week of release only 1000 physical units moved - the new vinyl. Probably cumulatively another 1000 in the rest of the world.

What does that mean for future sales, another thousand, maybe 2000?

Was that what they were expecting and how many vinyl packages were actually pressed?

Unless this was an extremely limited run it wouldn't be hard to predict this is going to go under some heavy downward price pressure by Christmas.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: August 8, 2023 20:40

georgelicks
Forty Licks is back on the Billboard 200 at #61 with over 12,000 units, 1000 sales and over 11000 streaming points.

[www.billboard.com]

Always interesting to see Rumours by Fleetwood Mac steadily have a top 100 position as well. They also have more than 30 million users listening to their songs on Spotify at least once per month, far ahead of our guys. Very impressive!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-08 20:41 by tiffanyblu.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 9, 2023 08:55

georgelicks

[www.billboard.com]

Is that 500 hard copies sold? Or are they counting doubles as one sale?

Unfortunately for UMe, those vinyl sales are probably in line with all the rest of vinyl sales except for one thing: a majority of people already own whatever.

If I saw it for sale used I'd possibly get it.

Just like with anything else, vinyl making a "come back" does not necessarily equate to new releases being sold.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 9, 2023 16:26

Hard copies sold, the double count is for certifications (RIAA) and not for sales (Billboard).

Date: August 11, 2023 01:42

georgelicks

Hard copies sold, the double count is for certifications (RIAA) and not for sales (Billboard).

Ok. Couldn't remember.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 11, 2023 09:46

Maybe the vinyl fad has passed. They'll have to come out as 78RPM shellacs to get attention for people buying the same old songs. (And four 'new' clunkers).

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 11, 2023 10:34

The vinyl "comeback" has been great for enthusiasts like me.
The reality I guess is that it will last as long as there remains some profit in it .

Sadly, the industry hasn't supported it for any other reason.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: August 11, 2023 23:40

Well Forty Licks has clung on to a chart placing in the UK for a second week. It's right there at No. 68 so sales will be minute. BUT it is a hit album (again) and it keeps The Stones name alive in a chart sense.

I know I am very trainspotterish about all this, but, hey, how many other bands who have remained fully active for SIXTY years can do this?

Way to go guys!

Date: August 12, 2023 02:27

The album at #73 in UK moved 1823 units, so 40 Licks at #68 is very close to that number, mostly from streaming points.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 12, 2023 07:56

They could have moved about the same number by not promoting it at all. I was at one of the very few big record stores left in America, Amoeba in Hollywood. It was depressing. What is being sold is up front as vinyl. I'm always interested in new concert DVDs, of which there are very, very few being released these days. It has to be for sales depression, because we know the vaults ain't empty. The concert DVDs are so bereft now that they're under the CDs now. You actually have to sit on the ground to look through them. What the hell happened?

Date: August 14, 2023 21:53

To my amazement, and delight, Forty Licks has actually clung on - at no. 74 - in the UK midweek update chart, published at 17.45 hours this afternoon. Before everyone starts telling me this means very little as the actual number of sales is tiny, I remain upbeat and very very happy that its still in there. Regardless of how many - or how few - sales it actually means. Regardless also of the disdain in which the charts are now held.

Why am I so happy? Simple really. I'm a fan! And that means, at least to me, being happy for every success the band has, irrespective of the size of that success. Also looking at the charts is a lifelong habit of mine. Anyone in or around my age (mid 70s) will kinda understand why it is. I grew up in an era when the new chart show - God bless Alan 'Fluff' Freeman RIP - was a very big deal. Of course that was when singles reigned supreme. As singles have waned and albums became all powerful, my chart watching moved with them. And I guess I will continue to watch the charts for the rest of my life. And get childishly happy every time The Stones get something in there.

Way to go guys. Sixty years plus on the road, and still getting hit albums.

Date: August 15, 2023 09:09

24FPS
They could have moved about the same number by not promoting it at all. I was at one of the very few big record stores left in America, Amoeba in Hollywood. It was depressing. What is being sold is up front as vinyl. I'm always interested in new concert DVDs, of which there are very, very few being released these days. It has to be for sales depression, because we know the vaults ain't empty. The concert DVDs are so bereft now that they're under the CDs now. You actually have to sit on the ground to look through them. What the hell happened?

It's called Blu-ray. Superior to DVD and streaming.

Date: August 15, 2023 15:15

Unloved by many it may be, but Forty Licks has justified its re-release, at least in chart terms, by remaining on the Billboard 200 for a second week. On the chart just issued Forty Licks is at No.81, a fall of twenty places. But the fact it is there at all is quite surprising. Frankly I thought it MIGHT pop onto the chart for a week before disappearing again. Possibly forever.

I appreciate the actual sales will be minute. Maybe 1500 copies/streams/downloads in total. I appreciate also that the charts don't seem to matter to many people nowadays. The halcyon chart days of the 60's, 70's and even 80's are long gone. Those times when the each new chart - singles AND albums - was eagerly awaited and consulted to see how well a favourite band or performer was performing, sales-wise.

One other point to consider regarding how ANY Stones compilation is performing on the US charts, is the looming presence of Hot Rocks. An album that still sells solidly week-in, week-out. Currently closing in on 420 chart weeks in aggregate, and always likely to re-appear in the lower reaches of the Billboard 200 several times each year. And, in consequence, a pretty sizeable obstacle for any other compilation album to overcome.

Perhaps what gives me the greatest pleasure about Hot Rocks is that it covers more than the usual London/Decca warhorse material. And of course it also contains those four 'new' recordings. At least they WERE new when the album was originally released in 2002. And in truth none of them was especially memorable. But at least they were written, recorded and released.

Here's hoping Forty Licks does the three-in-a-row chart hat-trick next week. In BOTH the US and UK.

Come on you Stones!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 15, 2023 17:37

How many on here have bought 40 Licks? I'm waiting for a Black Friday price drop personally.

Date: August 15, 2023 18:00

VoodooLounge13
How many on here have bought 40 Licks? I'm waiting for a Black Friday price drop personally.

I bought it on CD way back in 2002 and don't feel the need to get it on vinyl. Me and many millions more I would imagine! But SOME music lovers like it enough to buy it. And even if it is no more than maybe 1500 good people in the US who hand over their hard-earned, plus perhaps another 1500 world-wide, it does show that The Stones remain vital, relevant and alive in recording terms to more people than just us here on IORR.

Long may it remain so.

Date: August 15, 2023 18:01

GerardHennessy
Unloved by many it may be, but Forty Licks has justified its re-release, at least in chart terms, by remaining on the Billboard 200 for a second week. On the chart just issued Forty Licks is at No.81, a fall of twenty places. But the fact it is there at all is quite surprising. Frankly I thought it MIGHT pop onto the chart for a week before disappearing again. Possibly forever.

I appreciate the actual sales will be minute. Maybe 1500 copies/streams/downloads in total. I appreciate also that the charts don't seem to matter to many people nowadays. The halcyon chart days of the 60's, 70's and even 80's are long gone. Those times when the each new chart - singles AND albums - was eagerly awaited and consulted to see how well a favourite band or performer was performing, sales-wise.

One other point to consider regarding how ANY Stones compilation is performing on the US charts, is the looming presence of Hot Rocks. An album that still sells solidly week-in, week-out. Currently closing in on 420 chart weeks in aggregate, and always likely to re-appear in the lower reaches of the Billboard 200 several times each year. And, in consequence, a pretty sizeable obstacle for any other compilation album to overcome.

Perhaps what gives me the greatest pleasure about Hot Rocks is that it covers more than the usual London/Decca warhorse material. And of course it also contains those four 'new' recordings. At least they WERE new when the album was originally released in 2002. And in truth none of them was especially memorable. But at least they were written, recorded and released.

Here's hoping Forty Licks does the three-in-a-row chart hat-trick next week. In BOTH the US and UK.

Come on you Stones!

Being #81 on the US chart means more than 10,000 or 11,000 sales/points.

The charts work this way nowadays, at least in the UK and US, all streaming points go to the album that has sold the most physical or digital copies in the week, Brown Sugar or Wild Horses points for example, could go to Hot Rocks, Sticky Fingers, Jump Back...or Forty Licks in this case.

As Forty Licks is the physical or digital album that sold the most copies last week, all the streaming points of the 40 songs go to that album as up to 2 weeks ago they went to Hot Rocks.

A clearer example for better understanding:

Let's take Start Me Up

Physical or digital record sales with Start Me Up in a week:

Forty Licks - 10 copies
Honk - 3 copies
Tattoo You - 2 copies

All Start Me Up streaming points go to Forty Licks.

This is the reason why the charts are exploaded with Greatest Hits or classic records, the albums sell next to nothing, all is streaming.

Date: August 15, 2023 18:59

Very interesting, georgelicks. Appreciate the knowledge sharing.

Date: August 15, 2023 19:00

GerardHennessy
VoodooLounge13

I bought it on CD way back in 2002 and don't feel the need to get it on vinyl. Me and many millions more I would imagine! But SOME music lovers like it enough to buy it. And even if it is no more than maybe 1500 good people in the US who hand over their hard-earned, plus perhaps another 1500 world-wide, it does show that The Stones remain vital, relevant and alive in recording terms to more people than just us here on IORR.

Long may it remain so.

I, too, bought it upon its release, but I was specifically wondering about the new vinyl version, which I do hope to add to the collection, just not at the moment. It's rare that I buy a vinyl on the day of its release, due in large part to the mark-up.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 15, 2023 19:10

They planning parties in cities to celebrate the Re-issue...
LICKS BALLS

Date: August 15, 2023 19:19

Life's just a cocktail party!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-15 19:20 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 22, 2023 13:45

The mastering error at 'Losing My Touch' in digital releases - [iorr.org] - is fixed since early September 2023. On some streaming services / download stores, the 'Forty Licks' album appears currently twice.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 22, 2023 16:04

got a vinyl copy but didn't have time to listen to it yet.
hope it has no glitches
my old CD had a glitch on losing my touch

Date: September 22, 2023 20:50

GerardHennessy

One other point to consider regarding how ANY Stones compilation is performing on the US charts, is the looming presence of Hot Rocks. An album that still sells solidly week-in, week-out.

Perhaps what gives me the greatest pleasure about Hot Rocks is that it covers more than the usual London/Decca warhorse material. And of course it also contains those four 'new' recordings. At least they WERE new when the album was originally released in 2002.

LOL no new recordings were done for HOT ROCKS, which was released in 1971.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: January 5, 2024 17:42

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home