Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Forty Licks talks
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 31, 2023 17:25

treaclefingers

If you have the patience Black Friday or post Christmas will be the timing on this.

Or when the sell-out starts: on [www.Bravado.de] there's currently a sale with 15%-50% off for some older releases.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-31 17:30 by Irix.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: July 31, 2023 20:13

The UK Midweek Album Chart Update was published at 17.45 hours (UK time) this afternoon, and Forty Licks has re-entered that chart at No. 20. Always great to see the band somewhere - anywhere - in the charts. I appreciate that charts are no longer relevant in the way they once were. But they are still the only game in town when attempting to quantify the success of performers and albums. Of course it is the week-end chart (published at 17.45 hours every Friday) that contributes to the overall chart history of each album. And of each performer too.

It will be interesting to see whether the album manages to maintain, or even improve, its performance come Friday. My personal opinion - and one I hope is wrong - is that it won't do either. It may cling on in the main chart but at a much lower position. And will then, most likely, disappear completely.

But right now, it's in there. And for that I'm one happy camper...!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 1, 2023 22:39

GerardHennessy
The UK Midweek Album Chart Update was published at 17.45 hours (UK time) this afternoon, and Forty Licks has re-entered that chart at No. 20. Always great to see the band somewhere - anywhere - in the charts. I appreciate that charts are no longer relevant in the way they once were. But they are still the only game in town when attempting to quantify the success of performers and albums...

Somewhere indeed. I was looking for his quip that is similar but this will do.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 1, 2023 23:09

They could've updated it to SIXTY LICKS. Apparently in 2012 that silly album was originally gonna be FIFTY LICKS going by Keith's shoe (that's my observation, I've not read that anywhere).

They've never repeated an album theme, just a tour (NO FILTER went on for how long?), so whatever. Probably a missed opportunity but yeah, duh, the reissue of their 40th anniversary hits comp 21 years later makes complete sense.

Of course, instead of just updating REWIND, a specific album deal finisher, they put out JUMP BACK, a specific album deal beginner. Instead of updating JUMP BACK UMe released HONK, a specific 'we can release something with extremely unoriginal artwork because you're not releasing anything and we're the record label' album.

HONK! Still not as bad as the ridiculous simian disaster.

Date: August 3, 2023 09:00

Officially available on Apple Music (probably on TIDAL and Amazon Music too):

[Twitter.com] , [www.Facebook.com] , [www.Instagram.com]

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: August 3, 2023 10:43

It's on tidal and it's wonderful

Date: August 4, 2023 20:14

Earlier in this thread I said that Forty Licks had entered the UK Midweek Chart at No.20. However, midweek chart placings are not utilised in either computing or assessing chart history. Only the full chart week placings are used for that.

The full week chart for the UK has just now been posted, and Forty Licks is in there at no. 39. As I suspected, sales tapered off as the week progressed. Nevertheless for a sad old chart obsessive like me, No.39 is a decent placing. Of course actual sales are nothing like as large as they used to be back in the good old days. But, heck, a Top 40 album is a Top 40 album. Even if it drops out of sight by next week. Which I strongly suspect it will.

For all its faults, and Forty Licks has its share of those, it is still a better album than Hot Rocks. I'm not saying this to have a dig at ABKCO or London Records. Frankly Hot Rocks is not the best Stones album ABKCO have the rights to. Rolled Gold is a far, far superior summation of The Stones work on London/Decca. So is The London Years which includes both the A & B sides of the vast majority of The Stones singles on those labels also. Plus some tantalising semi-rarities like Memo From Turner.

But, for whatever reason - and I confess to struggling to find one - Hot Rocks seems to be the go-to album for most buyers. Had it been a single album rather than a double I would have said that might have been its attraction. But it is a double. Just like Rolled Gold. Just like Hot Rocks too. The London Years is a treble which does make it appear unwieldy to casual buyers. Although that would be a point in its favour for me.

Date: August 4, 2023 22:15

Forty Licks was at #7 in Germany on 4-Aug-2023 in the general Top-100 album charts - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] .

In 2002 it peaked in Germany at #2 for three consecutive weeks (Oct. 14-28, 2002).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-04 23:00 by Irix.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 4, 2023 22:42

Strange country! winking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 4, 2023 22:47

Irix
Forty Licks was at #7 in Germany on 4-Aug-2023 in the general Top-100 album charts - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] .

Back in 2002, Forty Licks peaked at a respectable #2 in both the US and the UK with Elvis 30 #1 Hits taking the top spot in both countries.
Not sure how well Forty Licks will do this time around in the US, but something tells me not very well based on the competition (see Taylor Swift, et al).

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 5, 2023 01:52

More info from Music Week in the UK:

Albums chart

01 25,027 Travis Scott - UTOPIA [289 downloads, 24,738 streaming]
02 23,778 Anne-Marie - UNHEALTHY [16,231 CDs, 3,125 vinyl, 422 cassettes, 1,175 downloads, 2,825 streaming]
03 11,873 Post Malone - AUSTIN
04 7,105 The Weeknd - The Highlights
05 6,981 Taylor Swift - Speak Now (Taylor's Version)
06 6,462 Dexys - The Feminine Divine
07 6,058 Elton John - Diamonds
08 5,931 Taylor Swift - Midnights
09 5,639 Harry Styles - Harry's House
10 5,478 Blur - The Ballad of Darren

19 4,417 Post Malone - The Diamond Collection [total: 55,413]
39 2,771 The Rolling Stones - Forty Licks [794 vinyl, 1 CD, 48 downloads, 1,927 streaming] [previous format totals: 1,124,953 CDs, 6,195 cassettes, 3,176 downloads, 1,326 streaming]

52 2,311 Joni Mitchell - Joni Mitchell at Newport
70 1,852 Sinéad O'Connor - So Far... The Best Of

"Housing 36 of their classics and four new songs, Rolling Stones compilation Forty Licks was first released in 2002 to celebrate the band’s 40th anniversary and was an immediate success, spending its first three weeks at No.2. Released briefly and in a low-key fashion digitally in 2006 before being deleted again in 2008, it returns to the format for streaming and purchase in Dolby Atmos, and is available on vinyl for the first time, its release coinciding with lead singer Mick Jagger’s 80th birthday last week. With previous sales of 1,124,953 CDs, 6,195 cassettes, 3,176 digital downloads and 1,326 sales equivalent streams, it is in the chart for the first time since 2006, re-entering at No.39 on consumption of 2,771 units - 794 vinyl four-packs, 1 CD, 48 digital downloads and 1,927 sales-equivalent streams."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 5, 2023 02:52

Nice to see Blur still in the UK top 10 after hitting the #1 spot there last week.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: August 5, 2023 09:21

1 cd..!?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 5, 2023 11:21

Although this re-release does, indeed, seem somewhat pointless to me, it must be said that 40 Licks was mightily successful in the U.K. It peaked at #2, though sold incredibly steadily, and it even had a second-run in the Top-10 in 2003, coinciding with the Stones’ selection of shows in London and Manchester. I, myself, have a certain amount of nostalgia for the release, certainly. It was the first ‘new’ album/collection after the dawning of my fandom, a year-or-two prior. It was an exciting time to be a Stones fan, and 40 Licks was forever in my father’s car CD-player.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: August 5, 2023 11:33

Irix
Officially available on Apple Music (probably on TIDAL and Amazon Music too):

[Twitter.com] , [www.Facebook.com] , [www.Instagram.com]

Ok, so at last I finally can provide a first hand account on this Dolby atmos novelty.

Love how the bass sounds, and interesting to hear the various layers of guitar separated (the bridge of shattered is a treat), but as an overall musical experience, mmmmmm , not my coup of tea. Loses the punch of the original stereo / mono version.

C

Date: August 5, 2023 14:11

Here's one: which is better? 40 Licks, or the 40-track edition of Grrr?

I know the latter is more well-known for it's 3-CD and deluxe incarnations, but there was a 2-CD, 40-track version released, too.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: August 5, 2023 15:20

Big Al

I know the latter is more well-known for it's 3-CD and deluxe incarnations, but there was a 2-CD, 40-track version released, too.

In terms of continuity and 'flow' (historical order) 40-track version of Grrr! is better.

In terms of mastering - the 1st CD is about the same both for 40 Licks and Grrr!

But the 2nd disc for Grrr! is spoiled by brickwall mastering. Sure, it is not a big deal if you listen to it in a car or through computer speakers. But for any average sound system all 2009 remastered post-1971 material is not good at all. No matter regular album, Grrr! or Honk.

For me 40 licks was always a bit strange compilation. Barely played that one in ages. It just collects dust. The main issue - they shuffle the tracks.

Thus, for Decca/London period either Singles Collection or Rolled Gold+ are better options. Well, old West German London hot Rocks 1&2 from 1985 too, but for different reasons - wide stereo mixes, flat transfers (and all that MFSL mystery).

For RSR era Rewind is enough. Even Made In The Shade will do winking smiley.

Grrr! for RSR era might have worked too, but it is virtually impossible to listen to that one due to 2009 brickwall remaster.

Date: August 5, 2023 15:30

ironbelly
Big Al

In terms of continuity and 'flow' (historical order) 40-track version of Grrr! is better.

In terms of mastering - the 1st CD is about the same both for 40 Licks and Grrr!

But the 2nd disc for Grrr! is spoiled by brickwall mastering. Sure, it is not a big deal if you listen to it in a car or through computer speakers. But for any average sound system all 2009 remastered post-1971 material is not good at all. No matter regular album, Grrr! or Honk.

For me 40 licks was always a bit strange compilation. Barely played that one in ages. It just collects dust. The main issue - they shuffle the tracks.

Thus, for Decca/London period either Singles Collection or Rolled Gold+ are better options. Well, old West German London hot Rocks 1&2 from 1985 too, but for different reasons - wide stereo mixes, flat transfers (and all that MFSL mystery).

For RSR era Rewind is enough. Even Made In The Shade will do winking smiley.

Grrr! for RSR era might have worked too, but it is virtually impossible to listen to that one due to 2009 brickwall remaster.

For me, 40 Licks should really be titled: '36 Licks and 4 Other Songs' The omission of Little Red Rooster is a black mark against it, in my opinion.

I absolutely agree about Rolled Gold. It's about as terrific an overview of those DECCA years as one could wish for. If someone wished for a comprehensive compilation of the Brian-era, it's certainly the direction I'd point them in.

Posted by: StonesSoCal ()
Date: August 5, 2023 17:17

“1CD” sold reads so funny and is somewhat crazy… definitely a sign of different times for the industry and the band alike. How things changed so much since this album was released. If they release a new album after all this time, they might move 100 CD’s! All jokes aside, 40 Licks brings back some amazing memories of that time period for the band and fans. Plus, we got a new album a few years later. Definitely a different era for the band and all of us as well.

Date: August 5, 2023 19:50

Forty Licks it's the second album in the UK Top 40 this year after GRRR Live which reached #21 in February, that's more than good for an act with their first chart hit in 1963 and with the new album out in 3 months that will hit the Top 3 at least.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: August 6, 2023 00:19

Mistake

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-06 00:22 by liddas.

Date: August 6, 2023 19:51

georgelicks
More info from Music Week in the UK:

Albums chart

01 25,027 Travis Scott - UTOPIA [289 downloads, 24,738 streaming]
02 23,778 Anne-Marie - UNHEALTHY [16,231 CDs, 3,125 vinyl, 422 cassettes, 1,175 downloads, 2,825 streaming]
03 11,873 Post Malone - AUSTIN
04 7,105 The Weeknd - The Highlights
05 6,981 Taylor Swift - Speak Now (Taylor's Version)
06 6,462 Dexys - The Feminine Divine
07 6,058 Elton John - Diamonds
08 5,931 Taylor Swift - Midnights
09 5,639 Harry Styles - Harry's House
10 5,478 Blur - The Ballad of Darren

19 4,417 Post Malone - The Diamond Collection [total: 55,413]
39 2,771 The Rolling Stones - Forty Licks [794 vinyl, 1 CD, 48 downloads, 1,927 streaming] [previous format totals: 1,124,953 CDs, 6,195 cassettes, 3,176 downloads, 1,326 streaming]

52 2,311 Joni Mitchell - Joni Mitchell at Newport
70 1,852 Sinéad O'Connor - So Far... The Best Of

"Housing 36 of their classics and four new songs, Rolling Stones compilation Forty Licks was first released in 2002 to celebrate the band’s 40th anniversary and was an immediate success, spending its first three weeks at No.2. Released briefly and in a low-key fashion digitally in 2006 before being deleted again in 2008, it returns to the format for streaming and purchase in Dolby Atmos, and is available on vinyl for the first time, its release coinciding with lead singer Mick Jagger’s 80th birthday last week. With previous sales of 1,124,953 CDs, 6,195 cassettes, 3,176 digital downloads and 1,326 sales equivalent streams, it is in the chart for the first time since 2006, re-entering at No.39 on consumption of 2,771 units - 794 vinyl four-packs, 1 CD, 48 digital downloads and 1,927 sales-equivalent streams."

I wonder who bought the one CD? Must be someone as crazy as I am...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 7, 2023 15:50

Big Al

...I absolutely agree about Rolled Gold. It's about as terrific an overview of those DECCA years as one could wish for. If someone wished for a comprehensive compilation of the Brian-era, it's certainly the direction I'd point them in.

The only issue with Rolled Gold is that the long running time on 2 lps leaves it sounding a little soft and lacking dynamics on vinyl...but yes, a very good anthology for the Decca years.

Date: August 7, 2023 16:27

Spud
Big Al

...I absolutely agree about Rolled Gold. It's about as terrific an overview of those DECCA years as one could wish for. If someone wished for a comprehensive compilation of the Brian-era, it's certainly the direction I'd point them in.

The only issue with Rolled Gold is that the long running time on 2 lps leaves it sounding a little soft and lacking dynamics on vinyl...but yes, a very good anthology for the Decca years.

Well, that's probably very true; though that's an issue regarding the format. In terms of content, their really isn't anything 'official', that truly covers those all-important DECCA years as thoroughly as Rolled Gold. Of course, there's The Singles Collection, though - it is superb; don't get me wrong! - that set has a particular purpose: a compiling of every DECCA/London A and B-side; well most of them, anyway. It's not meant to be a 'hits set' or an 'introduction' of any kind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-07 16:29 by Big Al.

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: August 7, 2023 18:20

Big Al
ironbelly

I absolutely agree about Rolled Gold. It's about as terrific an overview of those DECCA years as one could wish for. If someone wished for a comprehensive compilation of the Brian-era, it's certainly the direction I'd point them in.

Yes, Rolled Gold+ was great but if i remember correctly lots of songs were released here still in the old mono versions (Paint it, Let´s spend, Rainbow, Satisfaction etc)

Date: August 8, 2023 03:07

Dorn
Big Al
ironbelly

Yes, Rolled Gold+ was great but if i remember correctly lots of songs were released here still in the old mono versions (Paint it, Let´s spend, Rainbow, Satisfaction etc)

Indeed they were, just as they were recorded back in the day. And they are all the better for it too. Most of those early Stones singles were not mixed in true stereo. My own personal opinion is that the intensity and immediacy of the mono mixes and masters cannot be bettered.

And, regarding Forty Licks, the latest midweek chart here in the UK was published at 5.45pm yesterday (Monday). Forty Licks is, I'm delighted to say, still in it. At No. 66. Of course this is just the midweek listing. The full week chart will be released on Friday at 5.45pm. And I'm hoping Forty Licks is still in there somewhere. I am delighted it has staggered into a second week. I had expected it to sink without a trace after last week.

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: August 8, 2023 19:15

GerardHennessy
Dorn

Yes, Rolled Gold+ was great but if i remember correctly lots of songs were released here still in the old mono versions (Paint it, Let´s spend, Rainbow, Satisfaction etc)[/quote]

Indeed they were, just as they were recorded back in the day. And they are all the better for it too. Most of those early Stones singles were not mixed in true stereo. My own personal opinion is that the intensity and immediacy of the mono mixes and masters cannot be bettered.
[/quote]

agree that for some songs the intensity and immediacy of the mono mixes and masters are indeed better than the stereo (Satisfaction, Let´s spend) but others again gain from the stereo mix. you say that early Stones singles were not mixed in true stereo but where from were those versions on the MFSL Hot Rocks CD released 1985 ?

Date: August 8, 2023 19:37

Dorn
GerardHennessy
Dorn

[/quote]

agree that for some songs the intensity and immediacy of the mono mixes and masters are indeed better than the stereo (Satisfaction, Let´s spend) but others again gain from the stereo mix. you say that early Stones singles were not mixed in true stereo but where from were those versions on the MFSL Hot Rocks CD released 1985 ?[/quote]

I’m pretty sure they were genuine stereo mixes. There’s a website that goes through all the true-stereo mixes from the pre-Satanic Majesty’s releases. I know that Aftermath was the first release that featured all true-stereo mixes.

Date: August 8, 2023 19:39

Ruby Tuesday, in my opinion, sounds better in stereo. Brian’s flute-lines are far more prominent in the mix.

Date: August 8, 2023 19:51

Forty Licks is back on the Billboard 200 at #61 with over 12,000 units, 1000 sales and over 11000 streaming points.

[www.billboard.com]

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1824
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home