Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Glastonbury 2023
Date: June 28, 2023 14:26

Beast
After his performance, Elton was apparently whisked away in a golf buggy to a waiting helicopter and was back home in Windsor (more than 2.5 hours by road) in under 40 minutes!

I heard that too, from a work colleague who lives not far from Glastonbury. When the wind was blowing in the right direction he could hear the music from his garden! He saw a helicopter flying overhead, presumably Elton's, just minutes after the end of the show.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 28, 2023 15:20

padre69
Is there any place for non UK citizens to watch these Glastonbury gigs (besides crappy cell phone youtube clips)?

That's one crafty network that can tell the citizenship of a viewer! Get out the tinfoil helment!

Perchance in place of 'citizen' you meant 'resident'?
smiling smiley

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: June 29, 2023 04:48

Watching Wizkid now. Not quite as spectacular as his jam packed Novo gig in Oct 2021 but entertaining just the same.

Also watched the Pretenders and most of Elton. Going to try for GNR, rest of Elton and Lizzo tonight.

Re: O.T. Glastonbury 2023.
Posted by: Dan ()
Date: June 29, 2023 04:49

powerage78
After months of backlash about their headline slot, Guns N’ Roses finally take to the stage at Glastonbury 2023 and deliver one of their strongest sets in recent years. The only pity? It’s to the wrong crowd.

[www.nme.com]

Wrong crowd? You mean there was a misprint on the schedule and everyone thought they were gonna see someone else?

Edited to add:

Chinese Democracy -> Slither ?

Is there any crowd for that? Other the few thousand still buying tickets to that dreck 20 years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-29 06:21 by Dan.

Re: O.T. Glastonbury 2023.
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 29, 2023 22:30

Flashback: 10 years ago on this day, 29-Jun-2013, the Rolling Stones played at Glastonbury Festival 2013 on the Pyramid Stage - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: June 30, 2023 15:31

"Guns N’ Roses review, Glastonbury 2023: Frontrunners for the worst Glasto headline set of all time"

[www.independent.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-30 15:32 by Milan.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 30, 2023 21:09

Milan
"Guns N’ Roses review, Glastonbury 2023: Frontrunners for the worst Glasto headline set of all time"

[www.independent.co.uk]

Guns N' Roses
@gunsnroses

...it would take a lot more hate than you

@neil_mccormick

@Markbeaumontuk

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: July 2, 2023 21:33

Axl has been struggling with his vocals for a long time now. He had such dynamic range when he was in his prime 1985-89 that it is almost impossible to hit the high notes in those old songs now.

You can cover for a musician playing an instrument on a bad night, like the Stones do for Keef, but a singer is the focal point of the music and there is no place to hide.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 2, 2023 21:40

oldschool
Axl has been struggling with his vocals for a long time now. He had such dynamic range when he was in his prime 1985-89 that it is almost impossible to hit the high notes in those old songs now.

You can cover for a musician playing an instrument on a bad night, like the Stones do for Keef, but a singer is the focal point of the music and there is no place to hide.

Slash could extend his solos and/or the band could do more instrumentals

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 3, 2023 00:24

Milan

[www.independent.co.uk]

"Mumbling vague approximations of English words as if chronically constipated..."

Seems I've read that exact phrase somewhere referring to Bruce Springsteen's vocals.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 3, 2023 00:27

slewan
oldschool

That's already what they do. Still that doesn't help with Axls vocals

Date: July 3, 2023 08:30

StonedRambler
slewan
oldschool

I meant ever more solos and instrumentals (who really cares about Axl Rose?)

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: July 3, 2023 08:34

Bad idea for GNR to play Glastonbury in this day and age. It has become a wretched woke middle class festival for right-on university types. Even if they were great (they aren't) they still would have gone down like a lead balloon because they do not tick the right boxes.

Take a look at Elton..... He was dreadful and we all know it. He can barely walk, he can barely sing (not as bad as poor Axl) and his special guests were a massive anti-climax. However, Elton does tick all the right bingo boxes. He is gay, talks about racism, and "the climate crisis" all in one gig, and therefore he is "on message" and will be forgiven all manner of ills.

I'll tell you one thing..... Watching poor Elton and GNR really does make you appreciate how good The Stones are at their age. I saw Depeche Mode in London and they can still cut it as well. Dave Gahan? What a front man he is.....

Elton is right to be calling it a day, and I would suggest GNR should not be to far behind.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-03 08:39 by strat72.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 3, 2023 09:19

strat72
Bad idea for GNR to play Glastonbury in this day and age. It has become a wretched woke middle class festival for right-on university types. Even if they were great (they aren't) they still would have gone down like a lead balloon because they do not tick the right boxes.

Take a look at Elton..... He was dreadful and we all know it. He can barely walk, he can barely sing (not as bad as poor Axl) and his special guests were a massive anti-climax. However, Elton does tick all the right bingo boxes. He is gay, talks about racism, and "the climate crisis" all in one gig, and therefore he is "on message" and will be forgiven all manner of ills.

I'll tell you one thing..... Watching poor Elton and GNR really does make you appreciate how good The Stones are at their age. I saw Depeche Mode in London and they can still cut it as well. Dave Gahan? What a front man he is.....

Elton is right to be calling it a day, and I would suggest GNR should not be to far behind.

All a bit extreme there……

Elton was better than your crediting him with, no one is expecting a younger Elton’s voice or performance, but there was nothing really wrong his performance at Glastonbury for an old guy!

Also, Forget he’s gay. He’s an Englishman, who’s had numerous hits across a few decades and he’s playing an English festival, which looks like it’ll be his last on English soil. That’s gonna be headline material and a massive crowd puller. Forget words like woke and gay. They mean nothing when a legend like Elton takes the stage in that setting. The boxes he ticks to headline a festival are hits hits hits. No other criteria needed. There’s a lot of festivals Elton could headline.

Date: July 3, 2023 10:21

strat72

well, I'm one of those 'middle class university types' – but I don't like Elton John, enjoyed GnR in Madrid this year very much and I'm now heading to Frankfurt to see them again… in short: be careful with prejudice. Class background doesn't tell everything

Date: July 3, 2023 15:36

i've seen some very good GnR shows since 2016. But boy they are milking this tour....

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 3, 2023 16:12

strat72

I'll tell you one thing..... Watching poor Elton and GNR really does make you appreciate how good The Stones are at their age...

Too right . It was evident that GNR are trying to ape the way the Stones work big stages...but it all looked so obviously choreographed that it was laughable.

[especially Slash trotting up and down like an overburdened gnome and landing like a sack of spuds when jumping from a low platform

Just play the guitar for goodness sake...you're good at that grinning smiley]

Yes, Stones shows are equally choreographed...but you can only tell when you see the same show on another night !

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: July 3, 2023 19:38

strat72

Imagine using the word “woke” past 2011 without a hint of sarcasm

Date: July 3, 2023 22:10

strat72
However, Elton does tick all the right bingo boxes. He is gay, talks about racism, and "the climate crisis" all in one gig, and therefore he is "on message" and will be forgiven all manner of ills.
Uncharetaristic poor post.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: July 3, 2023 22:23

PaintMonkeyManBlack
strat72
However, Elton does tick all the right bingo boxes. He is gay, talks about racism, and "the climate crisis" all in one gig, and therefore he is "on message" and will be forgiven all manner of ills.
Uncharetaristic poor post.

Agree - I stopped reading after the first paragraph so didn’t have the fortune of reading this.

Date: July 4, 2023 01:12

Spud
strat72

I'll tell you one thing..... Watching poor Elton and GNR really does make you appreciate how good The Stones are at their age...

Too right . It was evident that GNR are trying to ape the way the Stones work big stages...but it all looked so obviously choreographed that it was laughable.

[especially Slash trotting up and down like an overburdened gnome and landing like a sack of spuds when jumping from a low platform

Just play the guitar for goodness sake...you're good at that grinning smiley]

Yes, Stones shows are equally choreographed...but you can only tell when you see the same show on another night !

Slash wore a Rolling Stones Tour of The Americas-T-Shirt tonight in Frankfurt. Show was rather short (2:50) and Axl Rose wasn't bad but murdered November Rain. It's really hard that he can't sing their best song anymore and can't drop it either. Hard so watch him struggle and suffer throughout the song. On most other songs he sings much better

Date: July 4, 2023 01:20

StonedRambler
slewan
oldschool

Wonder if Axl has ever considered lip synching?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-04 01:21 by Hairball.

Date: July 4, 2023 01:28

Hairball
StonedRambler
slewan
oldschool

I guess/hope he's a man of honor…
The better choice is to rearrange the song in a way Axl is able to sing it with his current voice

Date: July 4, 2023 01:34

slewan
Hairball
StonedRambler
slewan
oldschool

The better choice is to rearrange the song in a way Axl is able to sing it with his current voice

True, that would be the smart choice. Either that or throw in the towel.

To quote Clint Eastwood in Magnum Force "A man's got to know his limitations", end evidently Axl does not.

Date: July 4, 2023 01:46

Hairball
slewan
Hairball
StonedRambler
slewan
oldschool

True, that would be the smart choice. Either that or throw in the towel.

To quote Clint Eastwood in Magnum Force "A man's got to know his limitations", end evidently Axl does not.

I guess he knows them but – as I said before – it's nearly impossible for the band to drop November Rain.

Date: July 4, 2023 01:51

November Rain is not the only tune that he he struggles with unfortunately.

Date: July 4, 2023 01:53

Hairball
November Rain is not the only tune that he he struggles with unfortunately.

well, in the shows I saw this year – Madrid and Frankfurt – he did the other songs quite well. But I was suprised how much time he spend off-stage in Frankfurt

Date: July 4, 2023 02:06

I saw them back in '86 (pre-fame), then in '88, and again in '89, and it's astonishing to hear how badly time has treated Axl's vocals.
Obviously pushing it to the limits as he did way back when has had some major drawbacks, and eventually his screeching maniacal vocal style has taken it's toll.
He should be given credit though for giving it a go, but think he might want to ease up to save whetevers left of his voice - he might not be able to even talk someday.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 4, 2023 04:22

Because it wasn’t his natural voice but a forced one I think he’s wrecked his voice or burned out that part of the vocal chords. His rasp was never a natural part of his voice. Because that voice was a huge part of their sound it all sounds a bit weak now at this stage. Bad Karaoke.

It’s time they pulled the plug.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: July 4, 2023 08:44

Generation Sex at Glastonbury... With Billy Idol and Tony James from Generation X, and Steve Jones and Paul Cook from the Sex Pistols... They sound pretty good!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2063
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home