Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rolling Stones & Dolby Atmos: Comments
Posted by: jobt ()
Date: June 16, 2023 17:39

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-24 23:08 by bv.

Re: Rolling Stones & Dolby Atmos: Tell me about your own first-hand experiences
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 16, 2023 17:43

I don't know about Dolby Atmos I love the stuff that sounds like dirt

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 16, 2023 17:49

Nikkei
I don't know about Dolby Atmos I love the stuff that sounds like dirt

[www.youtube.com]

Show respect for the topic. This thread is not for you.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 16, 2023 19:05

> Rolling Stones & Dolby Atmos <

Recently listened to it in an Apple-Store via AirPods Max (over-ear headphones with noise-cancellation). Stones in Spatial Audio sounds not bad, it's like they're playing on stage in front of you. It's a nice add-on, included in the Apple Music subscription. But if you already have high-end headphones with a large (almost holographic) soundstage, then it's not necessarily needed.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: June 16, 2023 19:29

No Dolby, please

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: June 17, 2023 00:15

I need to spend more time listening to the specific Stones ones you posted. But in general, I have a surround sound system with Dolby Atmos, and I prefer that vs. Dolby Atmos headphones. The effect that the music moves when you turn your head on Apple AirPods at first is kind of cool, but if you're listening to music on a walk and look around a lot, it gets kind of annoying and I tend to turn it off. The loudness level is much lower on headphone which is mostly a positive unless you really want to play something loud. But sitting in a room with the sound all around you is really cool. R.E.M. Automatic for the People, and I'm not even a huge R.E.M fan, sounds really amazing in Dolby Atmos. Apple Music has tons of Spatial Audio playlists. Some are like the Pink Floyd 5.1 SACD of Dark Side of the Moon - very well done and immersive. Some songs I think they just slapped the label on and didn't spend a lot of time on the Dolby Atmos mix it so the stereo version is superior. How would you rate the Stones in Dolby Atmos?

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: June 17, 2023 00:19

When I first listened to El Mocambo I was expecting the same mix as on Love You Live. I was a little disappointed but started to love the new release. When I listened to the Dolby Atoms version I found that it sounded much more "realistic" in a way. Broader and more alive. I really love it now.

Date: June 17, 2023 00:38

1963luca0
No Dolby, please

Show respect for the topic. You don't know what it is, you can't handle the complexity and you haven't heard it.

Date: June 17, 2023 00:41

Jimmy C
I need to spend more time listening to the specific Stones ones you posted. But in general, I have a surround sound system with Dolby Atmos, and I prefer that vs. Dolby Atmos headphones. The effect that the music moves when you turn your head on Apple AirPods at first is kind of cool, but if you're listening to music on a walk and look around a lot, it gets kind of annoying and I tend to turn it off. The loudness level is much lower on headphone which is mostly a positive unless you really want to play something loud. But sitting in a room with the sound all around you is really cool. R.E.M. Automatic for the People, and I'm not even a huge R.E.M fan, sounds really amazing in Dolby Atmos. Apple Music has tons of Spatial Audio playlists. Some are like the Pink Floyd 5.1 SACD of Dark Side of the Moon - very well done and immersive. Some songs I think they just slapped the label on and didn't spend a lot of time on the Dolby Atmos mix it so the stereo version is superior.

Great feedback.

Jimmy C
How would you rate the Stones in Dolby Atmos?

I have a 5.1.2 setup and Tattoo You and Honk are the best, both absolutely overseen gems with surprising details and even newly recorded parts.

Date: June 17, 2023 00:42

schwonek
When I first listened to El Mocambo I was expecting the same mix as on Love You Live. I was a little disappointed but started to love the new release. When I listened to the Dolby Atoms version I found that it sounded much more "realistic" in a way. Broader and more alive. I really love it now.

I feel the same way thumbs up

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 17, 2023 01:17

jobt
1963luca0
No Dolby, please

Show respect for the topic. You don't know what it is, you can't handle the complexity and you haven't heard it.

Hi Jobt, are you only expect positive reactions or is it oke if there are different opinions?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 17, 2023 09:20

First off, JOBT, are these official releases you're talking about? I think I heard GHS in Dolby Atmos from the boxset in my local library. I have heard Electric Ladyland, and Abbey Road in Dolby Atmos and they were superb. Everything I've heard in Dolby Atmos is superior to previous mixes. But they aren't common, and I don't know any stand alone CDs that are in Dolby Atmos. You have to almost always buy an expensive boxset, with the Dolby Atmos CD being an extra.

I had the Tattoo You boxset and I don't remember there being a Dolby Atmos mix CD as part of it.

Date: June 17, 2023 10:50

The in the first post depicted Dolby Atmos mixes are official releases - but except the RnR-Circus, GHS and GRRR BluRays - only available via streaming services.

Links to the albums: GHS - [Twitter.com] , TY (2021) - [Twitter.com] , El Mocambo - [Twitter.com] . Spatial Audio in general - [Music.Apple.com] .

HONK and GRRR Live! should be displayed as available in Dolby Atmos if you have subscribed to [Music.Apple.com] , [Music.Apple.com] .

About Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music - [Support.Apple.com] .

TIDAL and Amazon Music provide Dolby Atmos as well.

"Dolby Atmos Music: everything you need to know about the spatial audio tech" - [www.WhatHiFi.com] .

Other artists Dolby Atmos mixes on standalone BluRay-Audio (by SuperDeluxeEdition) - [www.TheSDEshop.com] . Yello 'Point' album in Dolby Atmos as standalone BR-Audio - [www.jpc.de] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-20 13:45 by Irix.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 17, 2023 11:06

Like many technological advances...it's potentially great but it's a long learning curve to apply this stuff wisely and to get the best from it .

If you are trying to recreate a live string quartet in an intimate setting...the potential is mind boggling...but rock and popular music historically arrives via speakers in front of you, and a whole new set of production values and criteria may take a while to evolve.

[Edited to add...but this is from an old dinosaur who still mostly plays LPs.grinning smiley]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-17 11:21 by Spud.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: June 17, 2023 11:37

jobt
1963luca0
No Dolby, please

I know Dolby since when it was introduced. You ask for others’ opinion in public and I give - and confirm - my opinion: no dolby at all. You don’t agree? I couldn’t care less…

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: June 17, 2023 12:47

1963luca0
jobt
1963luca0
No Dolby, please

I know Dolby since when it was introduced. You ask for others’ opinion in public and I give - and confirm - my opinion: no dolby at all. You don’t agree? I couldn’t care less…

thumbs up

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 17, 2023 12:48

Anyone know if Dolby Atmos uses the same noise reduction as the original Dolby?

Date: June 17, 2023 12:53

No chance. it's all in the digital realm these days

Date: June 17, 2023 12:55

Koen

Dolby Atmos is a digital multi-channel (surround sound) audio format - not to be confused with the Dolby noise reduction from the times of magnetic tape.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 17, 2023 12:58

Irix
Koen

Dolby Atmos is a digital multi-channel (surround sound) audio format - not to be confused with the Dolby noise reduction from the times of magnetic tape.

That’s what I thought - thanks for confirming.

Date: June 17, 2023 13:03

Why is this thread even here? This has nothing to do with the Stones. Looking for positive endorsements from world's largest Stones board for a product.

Date: June 17, 2023 13:11

Palace Revolution 2000

This has nothing to do with the Stones.

Really? Check out Stones' official [Twitter.com] , [Twitter.com] , [Twitter.com] . Or the BluRay in the 2020 GHS Super Deluxe Box.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-17 13:25 by Irix.

Date: June 17, 2023 13:12

I love to hear tape hiss on old records...and hear the faders moving up and down . [I'm a bit sad like that winking smiley]

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 17, 2023 13:48

Spud
I love to hear tape hiss on old records...and hear the faders moving up and down . [I'm a bit sad like that winking smiley]

This thread is not for you; show some respect for the Dolby

Date: June 17, 2023 13:52

thumbs up grinning smiley

Date: June 17, 2023 16:07

Irix
Palace Revolution 2000

This has nothing to do with the Stones.

Really? Check out Stones' official [Twitter.com] , [Twitter.com] , [Twitter.com] . Or the BluRay in the 2020 GHS Super Deluxe Box.

I'm not discounting the technology, or advancement. And of course the Stones would/should be a part of it. Nor would I discount your (Irix) post.
But this is a post asking for input, and shutting down anyone, seasoned posters, who do not embrace it. Many of us here work in studios or sound, and may have some sort of qualified opinion.

Posted by: stefanz ()
Date: June 17, 2023 20:39

Palace Revolution 2000
But this is a post asking for input, and shutting down anyone, seasoned posters, who do not embrace it.

Upthread we've got two poor souls, the one don't know what DA is, the other thinks DA is about NR. Come on, you can do a better research.
Even if you've been around for one hundred years, you can still be a IORR nobody.

Palace Revolution 2000
Many of us here work in studios or sound

But have you heard the Stones in glorious DA?

Palace Revolution 2000
, and may have some sort of qualified opinion.

What's stopping you from trying to impress everybody?

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: June 18, 2023 04:38

You can’t do rock n roll in Dobly.

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: June 18, 2023 07:07

I think smoking a Dolby goes great with some Stones!

Posted by: sotob ()
Date: June 18, 2023 16:43

I have heard all of them except Honk since Tidal does not carry it. I enjoy the Atmos releases and wish there was more of them in general.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1217
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home