Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Did Mick Jagger hold pep talks at LSE in the late 60's?
Posted by: tumblingdice52 ()
Date: June 12, 2023 15:58

One of Norway's most prominent journalists claimed in a new book that he was a student at LSE at the same time as Mick Jagger. However, Norway's No. 1 newspaper (VG/vg.no) has exposed that the journalist began his studies at LSE 5 years after Jagger quit.

The journalist then commented to the newspaper that he believed Jagger was a student at LSE at the same time, and he further claims that the LSE-students were in the forefront of continuing the student revolt from the continent - and that Jagger was at the forefront in connection with it as a pep talker at meetings on campus.

It has been my impression that Jagger held a low key when it came to politics and protests at the time.

I would be grateful if someone on this forum can confirm or deny the claim that Jagger attended meetings and was a pep talker at the LSE campus when the journalist studied there in the period 1968-72.

It is essential that sources are provided.

Replies in English, Norwegian, Swedish and Danish are welcome if you are contacting me directly.

Thank you very much in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-12 16:44 by bv.

Re: Did Mick Jagger hold pep talks at LSE?(sources required)
Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 12, 2023 16:43

Christian Borch (age 79) is (or rather was) a famous reporter in Norway. He has written Mick Jagger into his own stay at LSE, sort of being connected to Jagger, even if they were five years apart in time - he never bothered to check his own story before publishing it. It is sad to see an old twisting the truth in order to sell books.

First the lie in the book of Christian Borch:

In the chapter "Historiens U-sving" Borch writes that Mick Jagger was one year ahead of him at the London School of Economics (LSE), and says in an interview with NRK's Drivkraft about the book that Jagger was the one year ahead him.

“A year above me at LSE studied a fellow called Mick Jagger. He soon came up with something else," he writes in the book.

But: The two never attended LSE at the same time. The press officer at LSE confirms to VG that Mick Jagger was a student there from 1961 to 1963. Christian Borch only started in 1968.

Then another lie to explain the first lie:

That has been my impression until now, I thought he was there at the same time. The LSE students were at the forefront of continuing the student revolt from the continent, and Jagger was at the front in connection with it, both as a pep talk at meetings on campus, and with texts in various contexts. His affiliation with the university was constantly emphasized.

Will correct several errors in the Borch book: - You portray me as a cheater (VG.no story published June 9, 2023) (Norwegian language)

Bjornulf

Re: Did Mick Jagger hold pep talks at LSE in the late 60's?
Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 12, 2023 19:11

"Lies, lies in my history books!"

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 12, 2023 23:57

Jagger WAS present at the anti-US rally in Grosvenor Sq in London (where the US Embassy was at the time), and that was in 1968.

See [www.theguardian.com]

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: NathanLaze ()
Date: June 14, 2023 19:14

if the author attended LSE in 1968 not 61-63, that doesn't imply he's lying. the alma mater tales of yore are very strong indeed. see edgar poe's "william wilson"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-14 19:16 by NathanLaze.

Posted by: spiderman ()
Date: June 16, 2023 00:20

Great point Captain Corella.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 17, 2023 02:22

CaptainCorella
Jagger WAS present at the anti-US rally in Grosvenor Sq in London (where the US Embassy was at the time), and that was in 1968.

Not intending to get into politics, so I am withdrawing my original question...

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-17 02:32 by angee.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: June 17, 2023 20:59

The answer to the topic question is......no.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 19, 2023 14:47

CaptainCorella

That's when he went down to the demonstration to get his fair share of abuse.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: June 19, 2023 23:40

Green Lady
CaptainCorella

That's when he went down to the demonstration to get his fair share of abuse.

It's been a long time, but if I recall correctly he said in an interview back in the 70s that he had wanted to participate because he thought it was the right thing to do, but he felt that his presence caused a distraction from the point of the demonstration.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 20, 2023 02:18

Right, so as I recall reading, he went there, but left early. Is that right?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 20, 2023 04:08

"Mick Jagger Grosvenor Square Demonstration, 1968"
© Michael Cooper

"I remember also seeing Mick Jagger standing coolly on the steps of a house in the square surveying the chaos. My friend Tim Hunt (a Research Fellow at Cambridge at the time - he has since won a Nobel Prize) caught him on film.
Robert Newsom, University of California, US
[news.bbc.co.uk]

"After the event, Sue, one of my fellow students, said that Mick Jagger had lifted her out of the way of a police horse. 'Mick rescued me,' she sighed."
Jon Henley

[www.theguardian.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1976
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home