Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Comparing Each 1st Original Single Track Per Decade
Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: June 17, 2023 16:59

In looking at the Stones first studio release of original new music per each decade, it's intriguing to see the various directions the developing Jagger/Richards writing team would take the band over time. And the results sure reveal a mixed bag of tracks. Just for fun, how would you rank them, simply based on your own personal level of enjoyment?

In terms of singles, here are the candidates for the first original track of new music released per decade:

60s (1) - Tell Me (You're Coming Back)
70s (2) - Brown Sugar
80s (3) - Emotional Rescue
90s (4) - Highwire
00s (5) - Don't Stop
10s (6) - Doom & Gloom
20s (7) - Living In A Ghost Town

I'm excluding any of the deluxe reissue tracks such as "Plundered My Soul" because, while PMS was the first original single track of the 2010s to be released, it can't really be considered "new" at the time of its release.

I think my current ranking of these singles would be: 3, 2, 7, 6, 5, 4, 1.

Cheers!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-17 19:01 by sf37.

Re: Comparing Each 1st Original Track Per Decade
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 17, 2023 17:07

sf37
70s (2) - Brown Sugar
90s (4) - Highwire
00s (5) - Don't Stop
10s (6) - Doom & Gloom

I think my current ranking would be: 3, 2, 7, 6, 5, 4, 1.

Tricky for me since Brown Sugar was written and recorded in the sixties, Emotional Rescue was written and recorded in the seventies, and Living in a Ghost Town was already an existing recording in 2019, though there were lyrical and vocal changes in 2020. Also, there was no song called Plundered My Soul nor any lyrics written prior to 2009 for its 2010 release. Vocals and lead guitar were all 2009 additions so it should count over Doom & Gloom. However, I'll play nice and follow your ranking with my own:

2, 3, 4, 1, 5, 7, 6

Date: June 17, 2023 17:12

Rocky Dijon
sf37
70s (2) - Brown Sugar
90s (4) - Highwire
00s (5) - Don't Stop
10s (6) - Doom & Gloom

I think my current ranking would be: 3, 2, 7, 6, 5, 4, 1.

Tricky for me since Brown Sugar was written and recorded in the sixties, Emotional Rescue was written and recorded in the seventies, and Living in a Ghost Town was already an existing recording in 2019, though there were lyrical and vocal changes in 2020. Also, there was no song called Plundered My Soul nor any lyrics written prior to 2009 for its 2010 release. Vocals and lead guitar were all 2009 additions so it should count over Doom & Gloom. However, I'll play nice and follow your ranking with my own:

2, 3, 4, 1, 5, 7, 6

You raise some valid points, and as such I amended my post to include the releases as "singles" to help clarify. Good point too about PMS versus D&G - I struggled with which one I should include, based on your logic.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 17, 2023 17:15

It's all just opinion on how to count things. I just enjoy ranking the selection.

Date: June 17, 2023 17:22

Rocky Dijon
It's all just opinion on how to count things. I just enjoy ranking the selection.

Much appreciated, and thanks for playing! grinning smiley

Re: Comparing Each 1st Original Single Track Per Decade
Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 17, 2023 20:26

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 17, 2023 21:00

At the moment I'll say 2,1,and 7 with the rest tied for last place.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: June 18, 2023 04:38

sf37
In looking at the Stones first studio release of original new music per each decade, it's intriguing to see the various directions the developing Jagger/Richards writing team would take the band over time. And the results sure reveal a mixed bag of tracks. Just for fun, how would you rank them, simply based on your own personal level of enjoyment?

In terms of singles, here are the candidates for the first original track of new music released per decade:

70s (2) - Brown Sugar
90s (4) - Highwire
00s (5) - Don't Stop
10s (6) - Doom & Gloom

I'm excluding any of the deluxe reissue tracks such as "Plundered My Soul" because, while PMS was the first original single track of the 2010s to be released, it can't really be considered "new" at the time of its release.

I think my current ranking of these singles would be: 3, 2, 7, 6, 5, 4, 1.

Cheers!

If Tumblin' Dice was counted as first single recorded and released in 70s and Plundered counted as being the first single of teens than it would be:

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 18, 2023 09:15

I know US markets were treated differently, but I still consider their first original single A side the UK one, "The Last Time". And that one is so great that of the mentioned songs only "Brown Sugar" tops it.

- Doxa

Date: June 18, 2023 11:00

Doxa
I know US markets were treated differently, but I still consider their first original single A side the UK one, "The Last Time". And that one is so great that of the mentioned songs only "Brown Sugar" tops it.

- Doxa

Great point, Doxa, and one that I had missed, in that "Tell Me" was only released as an A-side single in the US. Thanks for bringing this observation to light.

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: June 18, 2023 14:39

This is a pretty start to a soundtrack of my life! I love Don't Stop and have always thought it's underrated.

1, 2, 5, 3, 4, 6, 7

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 19, 2023 05:10

I'm not going to go with which I think are 'better' or more 'important' singles....just ones I most listen to, or would like to listen to now...today.

Emotional Rescue
Doom & Gloom
Tell Me
High Wire
Brown Sugar
Living In A Ghost Town
Don't Stop

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 19, 2023 16:37

2 Brown Sugar
1 Tell Me
7 Living in a ghost Town
6 Doom and Gloom
3 Emotional Rescue
4 Highwire
5 Don’t Stop

Rod

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: June 19, 2023 17:55

The Last Time.. 1 , yes Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-19 17:55 by snoopy2.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2112
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home