Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Wish list for outtakes album
Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: June 10, 2023 09:46

It was a marketing decision, and an obvious choice at that, why the songs from the archives were put out as bonus tracks for expanded reissues: the ever so elusive "casual fans" are already familiar with the good reputation of the well-known catalogue albums, and trying to get them to buy something is the reason for creating interesting stuff to lure in the real fans so they will create some interesting talk about how the new version really enhances the old version in a "rather buy it now if you haven't already" kind of way.

That kind of marketing would not work for several new disc titles which have to start building their reputation in the public conciousness from scratch.

Is it more likely we get an expanded "Steel Wheels" or an expanded "Voodoo Lounge" next? If it is the latter, you could always put on songs from the sessions of the former as well.

Either way, the cover of "Precious Love" from 1989 is stunning and should be out there.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 10, 2023 18:07

Mr. Jimi
TravelinMan
I'm going to pretend Mick called me up and asked me to produce a new Tattoo You with what's still in the vault (as far as I know),

Side A

1-And I Was a Country Boy
2-Who Am I
3-Hamburger To Go
4-Still A Fool
5-Blood Red Wine

Side B

1-Travelin' Man
2-Potted Shrimp
3-Hillside Blues (I hate to cut this down to fit the side)
4-Walk With Me Wendy
5-Exile Ballad

Bonus cuts: Trident Jam, Curtis Meets Smokey

I also toyed with Who Am I as a single w/ Trident Jam as a B-side and putting Curtis Meets Smokey on the album, but I needed more of an upbeat song.

How about sticking in Highway Child, pretty upbeat

Good one!

I tried collecting all the Jimmy Miller era material, which is by far my favorite period.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: June 11, 2023 04:16

Misty Roads
I Need You
I Love Ladies
I Got A Letter
Man Eating Woman
Travelin Man
Blood Red Wine
The Scarlet take Mick was recording in Brazil
For Your Precious Love
English Rose
Tried To Talk Her Into It

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 11, 2023 08:02

Doxa
Hmm.. No matter how much I have personally loved the bonus tracks over the years, I think the Stones/UMG sort of screwed up the potentiality of these old out-takes by making them nothing but tools to sell the reissues a bit better. With that concept by being 'bonus tracks' the tunes were doomed. Since getting only a die-hard fan interest they were fated to be pretty marginal. Taking the quality many of them has, I think they would have deserved better. I think some of them surpass in quality anything they have done since the 80's.

If not totally TATTOO YOU type release, but at least a release of their own had been a better option to give these great tracks more spot light. Not being in the shadow of some classic stuff, but an entity of its own.
- Doxa

Other artists/bands have had anthologies but, of course, The Rolling Stones would be compared to...

Which was and still is a huge missed opportunity/accomplishment. "We're still a functioning band".

So what. Their set lists reveal that they are a nostalgia band. Of course they are - they haven't done anything new in almost 18 years except for Doom And Gloom, One More Shot and Living In A Ghost Town (at least they've played all of them live).

They could've released so much previously unreleased material yet alone some of the B-sides that have never made it to CD, at least, maybe not even streaming, as well as unedited tracks (Emotional Rescue, Miss You, Send It To Me, She Was Hot, whatever else - of course, the obligatory Everything Is Turning To Gold) as well as early working versions (Neighbors, Start Me Up with early vocals, IORR) and remixes that, as far as I know, remain unheard (one of Undercover Of The Night according to Mick and even Ronnie, the 'meanwhile back in the jungle' Too Much Blood, 8-track edits, finished but unreleased B-sides, obviously whatever leftovers, including the STRIPPED sessions, finished or not.

If there would be too much material, well, loads of B-sides on the single EPs, whether it's 2 or 3 singles: get it all out.

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: June 12, 2023 04:02

1) Never too into.
2) Still in love.
3) Guess I should know.
4) Lonely at the top.
5) Ganster moll.
6) What am I goona do with your love.
7) Crushed pearl.
8) When I call your name.
9) Treat me like a fool.
10) Some of us are on our knees.
11) 20 Nil
12) My baby left me.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 12, 2023 15:43

I wish the track featuring Elton would get taken out. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-12 15:45 by Topi.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 12, 2023 16:22

over the last ten years or so we've got most of the fabled stuff we'd begged for over the previous many-many years ...

I think we're now rooting around in the bottom of barrel for any old tatty scraps.

Posted by: MeanDispo ()
Date: June 12, 2023 21:49

High or Low
You Got Away with Murder
Everything is Turning to Gold
Randy Whore
Munich Hilton

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: June 13, 2023 03:08

Spud
over the last ten years or so we've got most of the fabled stuff we'd begged for over the previous many-many years ...

I think we're now rooting around in the bottom of barrel for any old tatty scraps.

I wouldn't consider Misty Roads or I Need You as barrel scraping for one and there is a lot of potentisl in those snippets heard in the playbsck of English Rose and Man Eating Woman.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 13, 2023 03:31

big4
Spud

I wouldn't consider Misty Roads or I Need You as barrel scraping for one and there is a lot of potentisl in those snippets heard in the playbsck of English Rose and Man Eating Woman.
Travelin Man, Hillside Blues, Stones version of Separately, zip Mouth Angel,and possibly others that remain unreleased.Plus there are songs like Moonlight Mile and Pass the Wine were cut down from much longer takes.I’d love to hear a 10 minute Moonlight Mile

Date: June 13, 2023 10:57

So far as "hard copy" releases go...I think there's certainly scope for another "Rarities" type package... alternative takes, single B sides and other stuff that wasn't on the respective original album releases for one reason or another.

If they're going to release more & deeper "out-takes" stuff, please put the effort into making it sound really good and not just like the bloody bootlegs that've been circulating for donkey's years.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 13, 2023 11:27

Me I want none of what you guys have listed.

Me I want the new "Fully Finished Studio Outtakes" bootleg thumbs up

Date: June 13, 2023 11:42

dcba
Me I want none of what you guys have listed.

Me I want the new "Fully Finished Studio Outtakes" bootleg thumbs up

thumbs up

That would be fine...so long as it sounds good and finished.winking smiley

Date: June 13, 2023 12:58

MeanDispo
High or Low
You Got Away with Murder
Everything is Turning to Gold
Randy Whore
Munich Hilton

Not an outtake.

Date: June 13, 2023 13:16

Spud

Vol.1-3 have proven the material offered here often was quite finished : I remember Strictly Memphis with horns which was brand new (previous versions lacked the brass addition).
Imho the horns overdubs made the song absolutely exciting.

I say it again ; when we get an expanded reissue of DW with lots of outtakes - around 2060? winking smiley - people will stop saying it was the nadir of the band’s discography.

Date: June 13, 2023 13:43

dcba
Spud

Vol.1-3 have proven the material offered here often was quite finished : I remember Strictly Memphis with horns which was brand new (previous versions lacked the brass addition).

I say it again ; when we get an expanded reissue of DW with lots of outtakes - around 2060? winking smiley - people will stop saying it was the nadir of the band’s discography.

A very, very few tracks sounded quite finished smiling smiley

Date: June 13, 2023 14:39

DP/B. I want to hear as much new stuff as possible before I croak. cool smiley
Finished, unfinished, lossless, lossy, bring it on.

Date: June 13, 2023 14:52

dcba
DP/B. I want to hear as much new stuff as possible before I croak. cool smiley
Finished, unfinished, lossless, lossy, bring it on.

No disagreement there! smileys with beer

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: June 13, 2023 16:57

I really wish an album with tracks like Fancy man blues, cook cook blues, wish I never met you

Posted by: Fitzcaraldo ()
Date: June 13, 2023 17:56

In order of greatness:

- Down In The Hole (10)
- Dance Pt.1 (10)
- All About You (10)
- She´s So Cold (9)
- Emotional Rescue (8)
- Let Me Go (8)
- Send It To Me (8)
- Where The Boys Go (8)
- Summer Romance (8)
- Indian Girl (7)

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 13, 2023 19:57

DandelionPowderman
dcba
Spud

Then there were some that received frivolous modern Wood overdubs

Date: June 13, 2023 21:06

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
dcba
Spud

Then there were some that received frivolous modern Wood overdubs

On 'Fully Finished Studio Outtakes'?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 14, 2023 06:26

Spud
So far as "hard copy" releases go...I think there's certainly scope for another "Rarities" type package... alternative takes, single B sides and other stuff that wasn't on the respective original album releases for one reason or another.

If they're going to release more & deeper "out-takes" stuff, please put the effort into making it sound really good and not just like the bloody bootlegs that've been circulating for donkey's years.

RARITIES is so bizarre - there are only a few, the rest are basically the usual.

How it could've been better:

Fancy Man Blues
Tumbling Dice (Live)
Honest I Do (STRIPPED sessions)
Beast Of Burden (Live 1981)
Anyway You Look At It
Criss Cross (the Japanese soundtrack version)
Miss You (Dance Version)
Wish I'd Never Met You
I Just Want To Make Love To You (Live 1990)
Mixed Emotions (12")
Through The Lonely Nights
Memory Motel (STRIPPED sessions)
Let It Rock (Live 1971)
Harlem Shuffle (NYC Remix)
One Hit (To The Body) (London Mix)
Too Much Blood (Dance Version)

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1747
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home