Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ronnie Wood Interview : On The Jeff Beck Group, Faces, Rolling Stones, and Slide Guitar
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 16, 2023 22:18

JasO posted this interview link to the guitar site I usually hang out :

"In 1994 I had the opportunity to interview Ronnie Wood during the Rolling Stones rehearsals in Toronto. Ronnie spoke at length about the art of slide guitar, as well as his earliest musical adventures and playing with the Jeff Beck Group, the Faces, Rod Stewart, and the Rolling Stones. I've just posted it for free in my Talking Guitar online magazine. If you're interested in Ronnie's distinctive playing, I invite you to check it out! Here's the link:

"
Ronnie Wood first found fame as bassist in the original lineup of the Jeff Beck Group. Then in the early 1970s he distinguished himself as the lead, slide, and pedal steel guitarist for The Faces and Rod Stewart, with whom he played on The Rod Stewart Album, Every Picture Tells a Story, and other classic LPs. In 1974, he replaced Mick Taylor in the Rolling Stones, a gig he still holds today.

Wood’s amplified lead guitar sound is one of the most distinctive in all of British rock and roll – sure-handed, heartfelt, and scrappy, all at the same time. Deeply rooted in prewar American country blues and postwar Chicago blues, his acoustic and electric guitar slide playing likewise have great depth of character and an appealing, bittersweet sound.

Our interview took place on July 14, 1994, in the empty cafeteria of Toronto’s Crescent School, where the Rolling Stones were rehearsing for their Voodoo Lounge tour. The previous evening, I’d been invited by Keith Richards to watch the band rehearse in the school’s gymnasium, an event Ronnie references in our interview. Just before talking to Ronnie, I’d interviewed Charlie Watts [link below]. As Charlie was leaving, Ronnie strode in, a dark brew in hand, and greeted me warmly. On the table in front of us was a photograph of various guitar slides that guitarists used over the past century. Ronnie examined the photo and pointed excitedly to an old hunk of thin copper pipe.

Copper pipe – that’s what I use! 3/4”. I also use the Stevens bar with the lap steel and a Bullet bar with the pedal steel, and I’ve used knives and lighters.

You have a very distinctive slide tone. The second you hear it, you know it’s Ron Wood.

Right.

read on here:

[jasobrecht.substack.com]

Re: Ronnie Wood Interview : On The Jeff Beck Group, Faces, Rolling Stones, and Slide Guitar
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 16, 2023 23:51

Thanks for sharing, great interview.

Re: Ronnie Wood Interview : On The Jeff Beck Group, Faces, Rolling Stones, and Slide Guitar
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 17, 2023 01:58

Great interview, but I disagree about Ronnie having a distinctive style. If you put on a song I've never heard and Ronnie was on guitar I couldn't pick him out. I think he's more of a chameleon, doing whatever's necessary. Mick Taylor seemed effortless and soared on slide. Brian was the most emotive player ever. And Ronnie just seems to do whatever the song needs. It's not a putdown. Different players is all.

Posted by: mkbbcmr ()
Date: May 17, 2023 08:12

Excellent interview, thanks. But "The Artworks"? Hardly.

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: May 17, 2023 09:24

Thanks for sharing this, hadn't come across it before!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home