Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Best RS song on CD to test a new stereo?
Date: April 17, 2023 21:26

WorriedAboutYou

The important thing is knowing when to stop. Hi-fi can be an expensive and bottomless rabbit hole.

Correct. I'm a "victim" as well, classical music in particular. Music should have back to front depth coming from the speakers, no treble, midrange or bass needed to adjust the sound. Once you get lost in that, the sky is the limit. I know a few people that spent a fortune on it, only focusing on what's not entirely ok with their Hi-end set up.

Just enjoy the music.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: April 17, 2023 22:00

TheflyingDutchman
WorriedAboutYou

The important thing is knowing when to stop. Hi-fi can be an expensive and bottomless rabbit hole.

Correct. I'm a "victim" as well, classical music in particular. Music should have back to front depth coming from the speakers, no treble, midrange or bass needed to adjust the sound. Once you get lost in that, the sky is the limit. I know a few people that spent a fortune on it, only focusing on what's not entirely ok with their Hi-end set up.

Just enjoy the music.

I don't remember who said about the high ends audiophiles, they are using my music to listen their system.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-17 22:03 by ds1984.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 18, 2023 01:14

TheflyingDutchman
WorriedAboutYou

Just enjoy the music.

If it costs more, I'd rather just fiddle with the knobs!

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: April 18, 2023 13:34

I have no idea which one is the best but I have very strong memories of my experience with my my first stereo system in 1977. I put on Goats Head Soup and was blasted away by the stereo sound. A real strong memorie.I was thirteen, it was spring and it was the year I discovered girls and Rock'n Roll.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 18, 2023 14:08

I remember bringing a cassette of Sticky Fingers with me when I went to test out speakers for a new car stereo way back in '78. I think that was a good choice. Even the salesman seemed impressed.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: April 18, 2023 15:19

I remember going to Circuit City to purchase a receiver and CD player to really blast in my new house --- SLAVE like someone else said here was really great -- hearing the fingers on the strings--the great dynamics of the Virgin re-issue of Tattoo You

Posted by: z ()
Date: April 18, 2023 15:37

Black And Blue

Little Red Rooster from Love You Live

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: April 18, 2023 16:32

JJF from Get yer ya yas or Gimmie Shelter....

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 18, 2023 16:40

onestep
I remember going to Circuit City to purchase a receiver and CD player to really blast in my new house --- SLAVE like someone else said here was really great -- hearing the fingers on the strings--the great dynamics of the Virgin re-issue of Tattoo You
You are messing dynamics with punch. Virgin CD is louder than the earlier editions. Also it was boosted between ~100 Hz and ~2kHz.

Although Virgin remaster is much better than 2009 and 2021 Polydor remasters (these are extra loud and squashed by excessive compression), it is less dynamic comparing to old black triangle CD, old CBS CD and the newer one that was made from the flat transfer of the original master tapes.

Tattoo You [Toshiba-EMI CP35-3032] (Japanese Black Triangle CD)
DR14....-3.60 dB....-19.38 dB....4:56 03-Slave

Tattoo You [CDCBS 450 198 2] (CBS CD Japan for Europe)
DR14....-1.44 dB....-18.40 dB....4:58 03-Slave

Tattoo You [Virgin 7243-8-39502-2-5] (Virgin Collector's Edition)
DR11....-0.20 dB....-12.96 dB....6:32 03-Slave

Tattoo You [UICY-40002] (Flat transfer from original master tape, Japan only)
DR14....-1.96 dB....-18.54 dB....4:56 03-Slave

Here:
DRxx - Dynamic range of the track (the higher the better)
First reading in dB - peak level, the loudest sample of the track
Second reading in dB - root meas square of the track (well, you can consider it as an average loudness).

Virgin version is well mastered rock CD with average dynamics and acceptable loudness. But it is miles away from audiophile product. Sure, it has longer version of Slave winking smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-18 16:59 by ironbelly.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 20, 2023 16:18

I would think Can't You Hear Knocking would be a great choice for this. Followed by Winter perhaps.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 23, 2023 04:45

What To Do
Get Off My Cloud
Miss Amanda Jones
2000 Light Years From Home
Jigsaw Puzzle
Let It Bleed
Brown Sugar
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Tumbling Dice
Sweet Virginia
Heartbreaker
Fingerprint File
Hot Stuff
Dance/If I Was A Dancer
She's So Cold
Slave
Neighbours
She Was Hot
Tie You Up
Love Is Strong
Flip The Switch
Thief In The Night
Rain Fall Down
Living In A Ghost Town (if possible)

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 23, 2023 13:28

GasLightStreet
Rain Fall Down
Living In A Ghost Town (if possible)
Yeah. If you'd like to check how your system withstands overloads and distortions winking smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-23 13:29 by ironbelly.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2041
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home