Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best RS song on CD to test a new stereo?
Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: April 17, 2023 01:21

I'm considering buying a new stereo setup, or at least a new amp and speakers (maybe CD player too) to play mainly CD's on. (Yes Vinyl is better blah blah....)

So what Rolling Stones CD / Songs would you suggest to play on different systems in a store to get a feeling of which setup to buy? Something that tests the range and dynamics etc of the system, that would work well across the majority of their albums?

And yes - it will depend a bit on which CD pressing - but I'm just generally interested in a couple of different song options to use as a reference when testing
speakers out.

TIA!

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Re: Best RS song on CD to test a new stereo?
Posted by: Putty ()
Date: April 17, 2023 01:34

Slave

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: April 17, 2023 01:46

It should be a song you are familiar with. I've used IORR to see how a setup sounds, taxing the speakers with layers of guitars.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 17, 2023 02:02

You need a variety of tunes (electric and acoustic, and/or a combo of both) to test all aspects of the system - treble, bass, balance, dynamics, etc

For starters:

Get Off My Cloud
Lady Jane
Can't You Hear Me Knockin'
Hot Stuff
Play With Fire
Good Times Bad Times
Sympathy
Dance Little Sister
No Expectations
Summer Romance
No Use in Crying
Time Wait for No One
Angie
Sitting on a Fence
HAPPY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-17 02:03 by Hairball.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 17, 2023 03:10

Putty
Slave

good choice. something off Tattoo You for sure.

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: April 17, 2023 07:14

Hot Stuff / Black and Blue

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: April 17, 2023 08:48

When I bought my latest speaker some weeks ago I listened to:

- Can't You Hear Me Knocking
- Wild Horses
- Beast Of Burden
- Continental Drift

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: April 17, 2023 08:55

Sympathy for the Devil.

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Miss You (the 12" vinyl version sounds incredible)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 17, 2023 09:39

You Dont Move Me from Talk Is Cheap .....

esp the the gold - Mobile Fidelity version ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 17, 2023 10:01

bakersfield
Sympathy for the Devil.

Darned good list.

I'd suggest that you seek out the SACD 5.1 version of "Sympathy for The Devil" - it's on a special CD single that came out when the SACDs were released early this century.

Now THAT's a song to test your system!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 17, 2023 10:46

Actually, none winking smiley.

The Rolling Stones CDs are far away from audiophile delight. It is in the nature of their recordings. If you'd like to test new stereo you'd better try classic record or something from prog-rock bands. There must be a topic on Steve Hoffman Music Forum's about the best sounding CDs.

If you are focused on The Rolling Stones only, then consider the following list.
1. Aftermath [London 820 050-2]. No Matter West German or French pressing. Not Japanese P33L-25006, P25L-25037 or POCD-1917. These were made from the same tape transfer but were affected with 'Japanese production mastering'. The EQ profile for frequencies above 8 kHz is a bit different.
2. Beggars Banquet SACD-hybrid CD from 2002. ABKCO 882 301-2 or ABKCO 9539-2 or UICY-7015. Or any redbook equivalents that were on the market till recently.
3. Black And Blue, old CBS CD CDCBS 450203 2 or 32DP 605 or 23DP 5574 or SRCS 6209 or CK 40495.

You might also consider the following discs of The Rolling Stones with the highest Dynamic Range (DR)
1. Dirty Work (DR 15), old CBS CD CDCBS 863231
2. Undercover (DR 14), old CBS CD CDCBS 450200 2
3. Emotional Rescue (DR 14), old CBS CD CDCBS 450206 2
4. Some Girls (DR 14), old CBS CD CDCBS 450197 2
I put here only European catalog numbers. One can figure USA and Japanese counterparts using discogs.
But DR is not an ultimate measure. It just shows the difference between the loudest sample and the noise floor. It is not the whole thing. Some audiophile purists might crucify me because they do not like overall tonality (and tiny details) of those records with high DR.

Finally, you can simply get 1994 Virgin Records versions of Sticky Fingers and Tattoo You (mastered by Bob Ludwig). These discs have nothing to do with audiophile quality but they have punch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-17 10:47 by ironbelly.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 17, 2023 10:57

I always play the remastered Beast of Burden and mix for the drums.

Mathijs

Date: April 17, 2023 10:59

Hand Of Fate
She's So Cold

From the two best-sounding albums in their catalogue, imo.

Other bands? Try Aja by Steely Dan (Many hi-fi stores use that one).

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 17, 2023 10:59

You'll read lots of total b*llocks about how to evaluate Hi Fi systems.

Don't try to listen to stuff like "tonal balance" "bass", "treble" or "stereo image" etc etc...

The best system is simply the one that sounds the most enjoyable ...because this will certainly then be the one revealing the most musical information for your ears and brain to assimilate .

Trust your gut .

[it's useful also to use some recordings that you don't feel are too great...because a good system will still allow the music to shine even if the recording quality isn't all it could be. ]

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 17, 2023 11:16

Beggars, Black and Blue, Tattoo you.

Date: April 17, 2023 11:19

Exile... if you want to test how well a system can delve into a murky mix and reveal all the submerged magic grinning smiley

Date: April 17, 2023 11:33

Spud
Exile... if you want to test how well a system can delve into a murky mix and reveal all the submerged magic grinning smiley
Second this winking smiley.

Posted by: MonicaDe ()
Date: April 17, 2023 11:39

OUT OF CONTROL!

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 17, 2023 12:52

Brown Sugar – if your hear the "yeah" at the end of the song your new stereo is okay (if not it's rubbish)

Date: April 17, 2023 14:16

If you can't hear that on any system ...then you're as deaf as a post, and might be better saving your money winking smiley

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: April 17, 2023 15:47

Crosseyed Heart is a great sounding album, lots of air and space with plenty of room around the instruments. Sweet Thing from Wandering Spirit sounds good.

But no RS album is going to give you a very accurate image of what a new system is capable of. It wouldn't be fair on the system.

I would suggest Donny McCaslin's latest release, Creeper, especially the track Body Blow. Amazing music and phenomenal sonically. Yello have incredible production and sonics, try their Touch album. Kraftwerk's Minimum Maximum if you want something a bit more familiar. Anything mixed by Trentemøller sounds wonderful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-17 15:50 by WorriedAboutYou.

Date: April 17, 2023 17:10

Just don't let your Hi Fi system start choosing the music you listen to on the basis of how impressive the recordings sound !

I've seen too many folks fall into that trap over many years working in the Hi Fi industry.

your system is a tool for playing the music you want to enjoy...

...and music wasn't invented so that fancy audio systems could show off how much bass they've got or the precision of their imaging grinning smiley ]

Date: April 17, 2023 17:17

Spud
If you can't hear that on any system ...then you're as deaf as a post, and might be better saving your money winking smiley
You forgot to add a link.
[onlinetonegenerator.com]
For some people with 60 years millage music in mp3 quality is more than enough.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: April 17, 2023 17:41

I always use Hot Stuff. Great sound, clear separation between guitars and brilliant drums and bass.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: April 17, 2023 18:16

Spud
Just don't let your Hi Fi system start choosing the music you listen to on the basis of how impressive the recordings sound !

I've seen too many folks fall into that trap over many years working in the Hi Fi industry.

your system is a tool for playing the music you want to enjoy...

...and music wasn't invented so that fancy audio systems could show off how much bass they've got or the precision of their imaging grinning smiley ]

Very true. Listen to your music, not your gear.

That said, I've discovered a lot of albums and artists I wouldn't have otherwise heard if not for chasing audiophile production and recordings. It does take you down roads you may not have travelled otherwise.

The important thing is knowing when to stop. Hi-fi can be an expensive and bottomless rabbit hole.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: April 17, 2023 19:28

Street Fighting Man will tell you what you need in 30 seconds

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 17, 2023 19:31

Yes, I found Madonna´s Like a prayer on vinyl. Madonna! Second hand - one euro, excellent condition. But, well I just HAD to play it and really liked this powerful production and most of the songs. Melodies! And Prince produced one of them, and is on the record. 1989. So, strange things can happen down the road...smiling smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 17, 2023 20:35

CaptainCorella
bakersfield
Sympathy for the Devil.

Darned good list.

I'd suggest that you seek out the SACD 5.1 version of "Sympathy for The Devil" - it's on a special CD single that came out when the SACDs were released early this century.

Captain, you beat me to it! the 5.1 is awesome to hear, ranks right up there with my Dark Side Of The Moon 5.1! Having said that, even the stereo version from 2002 remasters sounds great, Nicky's piano is very clear.
Now THAT's a song to test your system!

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: April 17, 2023 20:42

If you're willing to step outside the Stones, here's what I like:

Uncle Albert/Adm Halsey - stereo separation.
Time - Pink Floyd - first couple of minutes: those long bass notes near the beginning. If your sub is gonna crackle, this will do it. NEVER listen to it on a Bose Acoustimass!
1812 Overture - good workout especially for the sub.

Of course, this is particular for my own set up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-17 20:44 by josepi.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: April 17, 2023 21:11

Why do you need RS song for testing a system?

Always take the music you like and you are familiar with because this is what you will listen on your system.

If you want an "audiophile" approach, also take classical : symphonic recordings, organ, piano, all sort of accoustic recordings.

Last but not least, the main factor for music reproduction is the room where it is played.
It is not because it will sounds great at the music shop that it will sounds great at your home. You can get huge difference.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1527
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home