Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: My hope for the Stones as we move forward.
Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: February 17, 2023 11:16

Doxathumbs up
War horse are still strongest stuff im showbusines

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: February 17, 2023 11:49

My only hope is that they call it a day before their musical prowess significantly fades (not that I think that time is here yet). Jerry Lee Lewis could barely sing in tune during his final years yet remained a fine pianist, whereas Chuck Berry played guitar poorly but remained strong vocally, as well as physically fit. I don't expect an 80 year old to be the same as they were at 20, 40 or even 60, but I would've been happy for both of them to call it quits 5-10 years earlier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-17 12:07 by Congratulations.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 17, 2023 12:31

Congratulations
My only hope is that they call it a day before their musical prowess significantly fades (not that I think that time is here yet). Jerry Lee Lewis could barely sing in tune during his final years yet remained a fine pianist, whereas Chuck Berry played guitar poorly but remained strong vocally, as well as physically fit. I would've been happy for both of them to call it quits 5-10 years earlier.

I kind of agree. Much as I love 'em (and probably because I love 'em) - I just wouldn't want to witness them pushing it too far, at least as long as they're using the current business model of huge stadiums and huge stages and all that stuff. Which is why the "scaling it down" idea mentioned by a couple of people in this thread does have a certain logic to it. But then as others have pointed out, they'll probably stick with the current model, because the smaller/more intimate/nostalgic concept just isn't gonna happen - in all probability !

In this particular conversational context, I sometimes think of Tina Turner. She just quit decisively, plain and simple. Her last gig was in Sheffield on 5th May 2009. Since then, just as an example, the Stones have rolled through Zurich (which is where she lives) at least twice, and of course rumours on both occasions were rife that she would make a guest appearance. But NO - zilch. I think once or twice there was a photo of her and Mick & Keith backstage, but no appearance. Maybe, at the end of the day, the manner in which she decided to bow out was the best way to go ? At the top of her game - so to say.

I wish the same for the Stones, just not to push it too far ...

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2830
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home