Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Long Story Short: Willie Nelson 90
Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 12, 2023 05:55

Good show. I like the blues and pop ballads more than the pure country, including
performances by Warren Haynes and Gary Clark Jr., for example. Keith exhibited
charm and confidence, great to see.

~"Love is Strong"~

Long Story Short: Willie Nelson 90
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 12, 2023 22:15

Erin Free

Year: 2023 Rating: TBC

Director: Gregg Gelfand

Cast:
Willie Nelson, Keith Richards, Neil Young, Sheryl Crow, Ethan Hawke, Beck and many, many more

Released: June 10 - 16, 2023

Running Time: 173 minutes

Worth: $20.00

FilmInk rates movies out of $20 — the score indicates the amount we believe a ticket to the movie to be worth

"…a near religious musical experience."

“He’s the spirit guide,” says singer Edie Brickell during this extraordinary concert film. “He’s the vibe nurturer.” They’re apt words to describe the great Willie Nelson, the genial, friendly face of the mostly lonesome-ornery-and-mean brand of Outlaw Country Music that he invented with his compadres Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings and Kris Kristofferson in the 1970s. Over the decades of his storied career, Willie Nelson has become well-loved not just for the brilliance of his songwriting and the unmistakable timbre of his wise, world-weary delivery, but also for his counter-culturalist swagger and, particularly in recent years, his fondness for – as Woody Harrelson calls it in one of his introductions here – Saint Mary Jane.

One the event of Willie Nelson’s, wait for it, 90th birthday (!!!), a huge two-day concert event was held in Los Angeles earlier this year to celebrate, and an incredible array of artists were on-hand to bring the party via some wonderful musical performances. This close-to-three-hour concert film is a distillation of those two days, and while it’s easy to run through the list of players and query the obvious absences (Dwight Yoakam, The Chicks, Ziggy Marley, Sturgill Simpson, Orville Peck and others all fail to make the cinematic cut), it’s hard to quibble with any concert film that boasts performers as diverse as George Strait, Rodney Crowell, Beck, Snoop Dogg, Tom Jones and Keith Richards. The fact that just about everyone is deliriously, entertainingly on-point makes Long Story Short: Willie Nelson 90 a truly rollicking, touching, emotionally resonant and richly enjoyable watch.

Beautifully, simply shot by director Gregg Gelfand without the barrage of cross-cutting that renders most contemporary concert films so distracting, Long Story Short: Willie Nelson 90 unfolds at a cool, calm leisurely pace totally in sync with the famously laidback titan at its centre. With the stunning natural amphitheatre of The Hollywood Bowl as backdrop; a host of big-name announcers – including obvious Willie like-minders Ethan Hawke, Woody Harrelson and Owen Wilson, along with the slightly less obvious Jennifer Garner, Chelsea Handler and, um, Helen Mirren – to keep things going; and a crowd filled with LA urban cowboys and cowgirls, hippies, and celebs (was that Julia Roberts and Danny Moder?), the mood is just right from the get-go.

With the day still light, a host of country music’s best new practitioners (Billy Strings, Charlie Crockett, Waylon Payne, Nathaniel Rateliff, Margo Price) deliver strong, personalised versions of Willie Nelson hits and deep cuts, all backed by a drum-tight house band featuring Benmont Tench on keys, the great Mickey Raphael on harmonica, and frequent drop-ins from Willie’s annoyingly handsome and gifted sons, Lukas and Micah Nelson. The highlights fly thick and fast, from the surprising (Beck’s “Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain” is gorgeous; a decidedly red-eyed Jack Johnson’s “Willie Got Me Stoned And Took All My Money” is comic genius, as is Dave Matthews’ pre-song story about getting baked on Willie’s tour bus) to the expected (the brilliant Rosanne Cash being joined on stage by the distressingly frail Kris Kristofferson for “Lovin’ Her Was Easier” is heartbreaking and incredibly moving, while just seeing Willie Nelson and Keith Richards breathe the same air on “We Had It All” is worth the ticket price on its own).

Scattered throughout are many, many great moments (“Can we do this in the key of smoke?” Snoop Dogg asks before joining Willie on the wonderful “Roll Me Up And Smoke Me When I Die”; “Oooooh, Helen Mirren,” hollers eighty-something Tom Jones salaciously after being introduced by The Great Dame) and a host of unforgettable performances (Neil Young, Sheryl Crow, The Dead’s Bob Weir, Leon Bridges, Gary Clark Jr., Jamey Johnson, Chris Stapleton, Norah Jones, Tyler Childers, Rodney Crowell and Emmylou Harris and a very coolly outfitted Miranda Lambert are all absolutely great) that combine to make the uplifting and truly joyous Long Story Short: Willie Nelson 90 a near religious musical experience.

[www.filmink.com.au]

Date: June 13, 2023 00:38

From another review:

[news.pollstar.com]

"Though word had leaked, the appearance of the Rolling Stone took the night over the top. Two naughty pirates, he and Nelson did a tough-tender lament “We Had It All.” But it was Shaver’s “Live Forever,” a gospel song that bubbled over with the reality of existence beyond the grave and the promise of ongoing life in the hearts of others, that served as a jubilant final song. What needed to be said was sung, the audience joining in – and the musicians taking the stage for that euphoric moment. Yes, a gospel medley and “Happy Birthday” followed, but “Live Forever” shut the night down."

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: June 23, 2023 23:17

Willie Nelson to Update His Classic Hits on New Album ‘Bluegrass’
Country great's 151st album arrives in September and includes "You Left Me a Long, Long Time Ago"

Willie Nelson will reinterpret some of his classic songs with a group of world-class pickers on his new album Bluegrass. The project, which marks the 90-year-old country legend’s 151st (or so) album release, arrives Sept. 15 and is introduced with a new rendition of “You Left Me a Long, Long Time Ago.”

The original version of “You Left Me a Long, Long Time Ago,” from Nelson’s 1972 album The Willie Way, was a full-band production that was steeped in piano and pedal steel, belying its relatively quick tempo. This new version featuring only acoustic instruments, is slower and heavier, with Nelson’s voice occasionally accented by delicate harmonies.

Nelson is joined on Bluegrass by some of the best in the business, including Barry Bales (upright bass), Ron Block (banjo), Aubrey Haynie (fiddle), Rob Ickes (dobro), Josh Martin (acoustic guitar), Mickey Raphael (harmonica), Seth Taylor (mandolin), Bobby Terry (guitar), and Dan Tyminski (mandolin), with backing singers including Wyatt Beard, Buddy Cannon, and Melonie Cannon. The selections are all Nelson compositions, from well-known numbers like “Good Hearted Woman” (which he wrote with Waylon Jennings) and “On the Road Again” to lesser-known gems like 1993’s “Still Is Still Moving to Me” and the 1963 tune “Home Motel.”

Bluegrass is Nelson’s second album of 2023, following I Don’t Know a Thing About Love, which came out in March and paid tribute to the songs of Harlan Howard. Nelson also celebrated his 90th birthday with two-day all-star celebration at the Hollywood Bowl — a film made about those concerts will arrive in June. And in November, Nelson will release his new book Energy Follows Thought: The Stories Behind My Songs, where he unpacks lyrics to 160 of his compositions.

Bluegrass Track List

“No Love Around”
“Somebody Pick Up My Pieces”
“Good Hearted Woman” (co-written with Waylon Jennings)
“Sad Songs and Waltzes”
“Home Motel”
“You Left Me a Long, Long Time Ago”
“Yesterday’s Wine”
“Bloody Mary Morning”
“Slow Down Old World”
“Still Is Still Moving to Me”
“On the Road Again”

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 24, 2023 03:50

GO WILLIE GO....151st album!!!!eye popping smileyhot smileysmiling smiley

Keep on rolling.............

Date: July 8, 2023 15:53

Billy Strings doing "Whiskey River", from the film “Long Story Short: Willie Nelson 90”,

Date: July 10, 2023 23:36

Lukas Nelson guests on the latest WTF With Marc Maron podcast. He talks about opening for the Stones and Keith's recent appearance with Willie. "Dead Flowers" was being discussed before they decided on "Live Forever".

[www.wtfpod.com]

Date: July 16, 2023 22:41

Thanks for that, bbj, great interview! I follow Maron.
Details on how Lukas came to decide on his career as a musician. (Duh, but interesting.)

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 17, 2023 12:48

We saw Willie over the 4th of July weekend for his Outlaw Music Festival.
It was insanely good.
He’s such a seasoned veteran of the business that he knows exactly what to do.
The show has huge acts such as Robert Plant/ Allison Kraus , John Fogerty, etc
They play a set which of course is a headliner anywhere else,you got your moneys worth and afterwards you get an hour with the legend.
Many members of his band have passed away, his drummer, guitar player, his piano player and sister Bobbie,
He sits through the entire show with his son Micah and they play acoustic guitars.
It is FCKNG phenomenal.
The show we saw the opener was Whiskey Meyers, I’ve mentioned this band before.I know fans here saw them open for the Stones and were a bit indifferent, you should’ve paid more attention.
I saw SKYNYRD and the ALLMAN BROTHERS in the 70s, I’d put this band up against them any day.
And Willie followed them- AND Pulled it off.end of story-GOAT

Date: July 18, 2023 23:00

A recent upload from Josh Timmermans

© Noble Visions | Josh Timmermans

Keith Richards all smiles during rehearsals for the Willie Nelson 90th Birthday shows at the Hollywood Bowl

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 19, 2023 02:23

Thanks bye bye johnny - always good to see Keith here, good to see Keith anywhere - it's good to see Keith here, there, and everywhere...healthy and happy!
I've always wondered what it would be like to be a performer standing on the fantastic and historic Hollywood Bowl stage looking out at the crowd in amazement...
Quite a nice venue, and I've been fortunate to see many bands there - the Stones, the Who, Dylan, Clapton/Winwood, Neil Young, CSNY, Blur...and on and on...

Date: September 15, 2023 19:54

NilsHolgersson

Willie Nelson to Update His Classic Hits on New Album ‘Bluegrass’
Country great's 151st album arrives in September and includes "You Left Me a Long, Long Time Ago"

Willie Nelson will reinterpret some of his classic songs with a group of world-class pickers on his new album Bluegrass. The project, which marks the 90-year-old country legend’s 151st (or so) album release, arrives Sept. 15 and is introduced with a new rendition of “You Left Me a Long, Long Time Ago.”

The original version of “You Left Me a Long, Long Time Ago,” from Nelson’s 1972 album The Willie Way, was a full-band production that was steeped in piano and pedal steel, belying its relatively quick tempo. This new version featuring only acoustic instruments, is slower and heavier, with Nelson’s voice occasionally accented by delicate harmonies.

Nelson is joined on Bluegrass by some of the best in the business, including Barry Bales (upright bass), Ron Block (banjo), Aubrey Haynie (fiddle), Rob Ickes (dobro), Josh Martin (acoustic guitar), Mickey Raphael (harmonica), Seth Taylor (mandolin), Bobby Terry (guitar), and Dan Tyminski (mandolin), with backing singers including Wyatt Beard, Buddy Cannon, and Melonie Cannon. The selections are all Nelson compositions, from well-known numbers like “Good Hearted Woman” (which he wrote with Waylon Jennings) and “On the Road Again” to lesser-known gems like 1993’s “Still Is Still Moving to Me” and the 1963 tune “Home Motel.”

Bluegrass is Nelson’s second album of 2023, following I Don’t Know a Thing About Love, which came out in March and paid tribute to the songs of Harlan Howard. Nelson also celebrated his 90th birthday with two-day all-star celebration at the Hollywood Bowl — a film made about those concerts will arrive in June. And in November, Nelson will release his new book Energy Follows Thought: The Stories Behind My Songs, where he unpacks lyrics to 160 of his compositions.

Bluegrass Track List

“No Love Around”
“Somebody Pick Up My Pieces”
“Good Hearted Woman” (co-written with Waylon Jennings)
“Sad Songs and Waltzes”
“Home Motel”
“You Left Me a Long, Long Time Ago”
“Yesterday’s Wine”
“Bloody Mary Morning”
“Slow Down Old World”
“Still Is Still Moving to Me”
“On the Road Again”

[www.rollingstone.com]

'Bluegrass', released September 15

[www.youtube.com]

[open.spotify.com]

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 16, 2023 01:18

New release: Always On My Mind by Eric Clapton and Bradley Walker

In celebration of Willie Nelson’s 90th birthday.

[whereseric.com]

[N.B. I also post this on the Eric Clapton thread.]

Date: September 16, 2023 02:19

I am going to have to get this album - this You Left Me is a wonderful, wonderful version.

Date: October 19, 2023 21:13

Blackbird Presents & Legacy Recordings Set to Release Long Story Short: Willie Nelson 90 Live at the Hollywood Bowl

October 19, 2023
By: Blackbird Presents

Long Story Short: Willie Nelson 90 Live At The Hollywood Bowl, produced by Blackbird Presents, will be released Dec. 15 as a 2CD+Blu-Ray deluxe edition, a complete digital edition and as a 2xLP highlights.

Long Story Short: Willie Nelson 90 Live At The Hollywood Bowl, is the definitive music release of the star-studded concerts celebrating Willie’s 90th Birthday. The concerts were recorded live on April 29 & 30 at the legendary Hollywood Bowl and feature once-in-a-lifetime performances by Willie Nelson, Allison Russell, Beck, Billy Strings, Bobby Weir, Booker T. Jones, Buddy Cannon, Charley Crockett, Charlie Sexton, Chris Stapleton, Daniel Lanois, Dave Matthews, Dwight Yoakam, Edie Brickell, Emmylou Harris, Gary Clark Jr., George Strait, Jack Johnson, Jamey Johnson, Keith Richards, Kris Kristofferson, Leon Bridges, Lily Meola, Lukas Nelson, Lyle Lovett, Margo Price, Micah Nelson (Particle Kid), Miranda Lambert, Nathaniel Rateliff, Neil Young, Norah Jones, Orville Peck, Rodney Crowell, Rosanne Cash, Sheryl Crow, Snoop Dogg, Stephen Stills, The Avett Brothers, The Lumineers, Tom Jones, Tyler Childers, Warren Haynes, Waylon Payne, and Ziggy Marley.

On Friday, Dec. 15, 2023, Legacy will release the 2CD+Blu-ray and digital configurations of Long Story Short: Willie Nelson 90 Live At The Hollywood Bowl. The deluxe 2CD+Blu-Ray will include 3-hours of video performances from the concert along with 3 video bonus performances, 39 audio tracks and a multi-page booklet. A 2xLP vinyl edition featuring select highlights from the event will also be available on Friday, Dec. 15, 2023. Both configurations can be pre-ordered HERE

“We are thrilled to partner with Legacy Recordings to bring these iconic live shows that celebrated Willie’s 90th to fans around the world”, said Mark Rothbaum and Keith Wortman, Creators / Executive Producers of the Willie 90 shows. “This release captures the magic of these shows and enables audiences all around the world to experience these performances as if they were at the Hollywood Bowl with all of us.”

Click here to see the complete track listing of the CD.

[blackbirdpresents.com]

Date: November 3, 2023 21:41

‘Willie Nelson’s 90th Birthday Celebration’ Coming To CBS, Paramount+

By Bruce Haring
November 2, 2023

He’s always on country music fans’ minds, and now they’ll have a chance to celebrate him. Willie Nelson’s 90th Birthday Celebration concert special was announced tonight during Nelson’s appearance on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.

The two-hour show will air Sunday, Dec. 17 on CBS at 8:30 PT/ET on CBS, with streaming live and on-demand via Paramount+.

The special was recorded live earlier this year across two nights before a sold-out crowd at the Hollywood Bowl, celebrating Nelson’s milestone 90th birthday and the 12-time Grammy Award winner’s contributions to popular culture and music.

Performances include Nelson, Beck, Gary Clark Jr., Sheryl Crow, Snoop Dogg, Norah Jones, Miranda Lambert, Dave Matthews, Nelson’s sons Lukas Nelson and Micah Nelson, Keith Richards, George Strait and Chris Stapleton. The special is hosted by stars Jennifer Garner, Chelsea Handler, Woody Harrelson, Ethan Hawke, Helen Mirren and Owen Wilson.

“It is the sincere privilege of our lives to have produced these shows celebrating our beloved Willie, and to partner with CBS to bring this special to fans around the world,” said Mark Rothbaum and Keith Wortman, creators and executive producers. “Viewers will now have the chance to sing, and laugh, and cry and experience the joy of this celebration like never before.”

The show is a production of Blackbird Presents.

[deadline.com]

Date: November 4, 2023 23:49

The Avett Brothers - Pick Up The Tempo (Willie Nelson 90: Live At The Hollywood Bowl)

Date: December 12, 2023 17:37

CBS promos for the special airing Sunday, December 17

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-12 17:39 by bye bye johnny.

Date: December 14, 2023 22:08

Interview with Anthony Mason - "CBS Mornings", December 14

Date: December 15, 2023 13:41

"We Had It All" - Willie Nelson & Keith Richards Live At The Hollywood Bowl, April 30, 2023

[open.spotify.com]

[www.youtube.com]

"Live Forever" - Willie Nelson & Keith Richards Live At The Hollywood Bowl, April 30, 2023

[open.spotify.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Long Story Short: Willie Nelson 90 (Live At The Hollywood Bowl) - Full Album

[open.spotify.com]

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: December 15, 2023 15:42

bye bye johnny
"We Had It All" - Willie Nelson & Keith Richards Live At The Hollywood Bowl, April 30, 2023

[open.spotify.com]

[www.youtube.com]

"Live Forever" - Willie Nelson & Keith Richards Live At The Hollywood Bowl, April 30, 2023

[open.spotify.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[open.spotify.com]

Thanks fot the info !

The whole album is also available as HiRes Download via qobuz from today on:

[www.qobuz.com]

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 17, 2023 17:43

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-17 19:14 by schillid.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 18, 2023 16:13

BlueTurns2Grey
bye bye johnny

[open.spotify.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[open.spotify.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[open.spotify.com]

Thanks fot the info !

The whole album is also available as HiRes Download via qobuz from today on:

[www.qobuz.com]

Awesome, they sound great!

Posted by: IsakSun ()
Date: December 18, 2023 20:39

[youtu.be]

Live forever

Date: December 18, 2023 20:49

^ Unfortunately the audio and video are out of sync.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1830
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home