Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: New marker at Joshua Tree
Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: September 21, 2023 20:43

hbwriter
uhm... it's an OFFICIAL NPS marker... and they hosted Phil Kaufman at the visitor center to discuss it

I stand corrected! There wasn't news after a quick web search. Very uncharacteristic of NPS.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: September 21, 2023 21:07

UPDATE: I am in touch with the interpretive sign director -- will update as it develops

Date: September 21, 2023 21:08

Kurt
hbwriter
Pietro
This is a joke, right? The National Forest Service doesn't put up markers to commemorate people like Gram Parsons or celebrity overdoses.

This LA Times article mentions make-shift markers in the park, but that's about all there is. Have you been to Joshua Tree?

[www.latimes.com]

I've been maybe 50 times? have stayed in room 8 about 10

Honest question here, hbw...
Why have you stayed in that room? Personally, I cannot fathom the fascination with death sites. Just curious.

i find it interesting--have been invited to stay there several times as a journalist - i've stayed in many rooms like this-

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 21, 2023 22:03

hbwriter
Kurt
hbwriter
Pietro
This is a joke, right? The National Forest Service doesn't put up markers to commemorate people like Gram Parsons or celebrity overdoses.

This LA Times article mentions make-shift markers in the park, but that's about all there is. Have you been to Joshua Tree?

[www.latimes.com]

Why have you stayed in that room? Personally, I cannot fathom the fascination with death sites. Just curious.

i find it interesting--have been invited to stay there several times as a journalist - i've stayed in many rooms like this-

Interesting, to say the least!
What is the vibe like in that particular room?
I don't think I could get a good night's sleep there...

Date: September 21, 2023 23:23

Kurt
hbwriter
Kurt
hbwriter
Pietro

[www.latimes.com]

actually soothing and peaceful--a nice laid back vibe.

Interesting, to say the least!
What is the vibe like in that particular room?
I don't think I could get a good night's sleep there...

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: September 23, 2023 03:39

This is the Latest update, but this was several weeks ago. It’s getting pretty close to the end of September when the CD is supposed to be shipped. No word since this.
[www.kickstarter.com]

Re: OT: Gram Parsons
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 25, 2023 14:40

Are there any known pictures of Keith and Gram after Summer of 1971? Gram was kicked out of Nellcote in ~July 1971, and he wasn't very welcome on the 1972 tour so I wonder if they actually met in 1973.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-25 15:57 by Mathijs.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: September 28, 2023 19:27

Mathijs
Are there any known pictures of Keith and Gram after Summer of 1971? Gram was kicked out of Nellcote in ~July 1971, and he wasn't very welcome on the 1972 tour so I wonder if they actually met in 1973.

Mathijs

According to Robert Greenfield in "Exile On Main Street : A Season in Hell..." once Gram is booted from Nellcote, he and Keith never see each other again.

Date: October 4, 2023 00:16

I just got notice from Kickstarter that the Gram Parsons Live CD will be shipping this week to those who contributed. The Vinyl will ship in November.
Yay!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 4, 2023 00:34

TheBadRabbit
Mathijs

Mathijs

According to Robert Greenfield in "Exile On Main Street : A Season in Hell..." once Gram is booted from Nellcote, he and Keith never see each other again.

I remember reading somewhere the Stones heard the Byrds were going on tour and asked Gram why he wasn't heading to meet them and basically said he'd rather hang out there, and they kind of got disillusioned with his work ethic and told him to hit the road.

Posted by: yyclassical ()
Date: October 4, 2023 05:42

Ross
I just got notice from Kickstarter that the Gram Parsons Live CD will be shipping this week to those who contributed. The Vinyl will ship in November.
Yay!

Wonderful news!hot smiley

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 4, 2023 09:04

hbwriter
The bad news is, the marker states unequivocally that the song Wild Horses was written by Parsons and Keith Richards.

I've made park officials aware.

HB - what do you think is accurate re: Wild Horses authorship?
-swiss

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 4, 2023 09:10

kovach

I remember reading somewhere the Stones heard the Byrds were going on tour and asked Gram why he wasn't heading to meet them and basically said he'd rather hang out there, and they kind of got disillusioned with his work ethic and told him to hit the road.

That was 1968. Mathijs was asking about 1973 - it's a great question. Greenfield is probably, but not necessarily, correct.
-swiss

Date: October 4, 2023 15:12

swiss
hbwriter
The bad news is, the marker states unequivocally that the song Wild Horses was written by Parsons and Keith Richards.

-swiss

Funny, I saw a guitar player in Memphis once that had "a friend of a friend who knew Jackson Brown" (for whatever that's worth) that claimed Jagger/Richards stole it from Parsons who wrote it about Emmylou Harris. He stuck to his story even though I said I don't think he'd even met Emmylou when it was recorded by the Stones.

Date: October 4, 2023 15:32

kovach
swiss
hbwriter

-swiss

Funny, I saw a guitar player in Memphis once that had "a friend of a friend who knew Jackson Brown" (for whatever that's worth) that claimed Jagger/Richards stole it from Parsons who wrote it about Emmylou Harris. He stuck to his story even though I said I don't think he'd even met Emmylou when it was recorded by the Stones.

Yup! Unless Gram was Nostradamus. He first met Emmylou in 1971, two years after WH was written and recorded smiling smiley

Date: October 5, 2023 19:02

Link to the update.
[www.kickstarter.com]

Date: October 5, 2023 19:14

kovach
TheBadRabbit
Mathijs

Mathijs

Keith convinced him to bow out of The Byrds tour of South Africa because of apartheid. In reality, most think Keith just didn't want him to leave so he could hang out with him!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 6, 2023 00:28

Hear a Stirring Unreleased Live Version of Gram Parsons and the Fallen Angels’ “Love Hurts” from Upcoming LP

[americansongwriter.com]

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: October 6, 2023 02:45

I have a bootleg from the concert they did the night before. When introducing six days they say "six days on the road and we're going to make it to Philadelphia tonight." It's good. Same basic setlist.

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: October 6, 2023 05:19

Gram says in this video he first heard Wild Horses right after Altamont. Mick played him the recording.

[youtu.be]

Date: October 6, 2023 05:30

Ross
Link to the update.
[www.kickstarter.com]

Gram looks more like Richie Blackmore on the cover of that album!

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: October 6, 2023 06:26

Omg I would love to buy this! Love Gram.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 6, 2023 15:14

I don' t get why Keith , if he was best friends , would never see him again after what transpired at Nellcote.Wat difference does it make if Gram was lazy. He was not playing on Stones records.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-06 15:58 by Taylor1.

Date: October 6, 2023 15:29

Taylor1
I don' t get why Keith , if he was best friends , would never see him again what what transpired at Nellcote.Wat difference does it make if Gram was lazy. He was not playing on Stones records.

Keith was pretty busy after Nellcote (kicked out of France, overdubs on Exile in the US, the US tour, moving to Switzerland, recording GHS in Jamaica, the Euro-tour etc.). Then Gram died.

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: October 7, 2023 16:15

The vinyl was listed as a record store day release this coming Nov.

The blonde who posed nude with the Stones
Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: October 7, 2023 19:45

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5483823/blonde

...Keith on Gram's bike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-07 19:49 by Zotz.

Posted by: django ()
Date: October 7, 2023 19:46

Just back from a three weeks road-trip in California (and suffering from a really bad jetlag), I would like to share these pics:

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: October 7, 2023 20:10

keefgotsoul
Gram says in this video he first heard Wild Horses right after Altamont. Mick played him the recording.

[youtu.be]

Linda Ronstadt bio 'Simple Dreams: A Musical Memory' states that Keith played 'Wild Horses' (pre Muscle Shoals version) for her and Gram and wanted to record the song herself.

Posted by: rayrad ()
Date: October 12, 2023 12:10

and now there's this

the story of the great lost environmental sci-fi film starring michelle phillips and gram - with music by the burritos and roger mcguinn:

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2224
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home