Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Buddy Guy - Damn Right Farewell Tour
Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: July 7, 2023 17:10

rbk
You never know which Buddy you're going to get. There's the force of nature, hurricane of blistering six-string fire, focused and ferocious Buddy "M-ther F-ck-ng" Guy...

OR

There can be Attention Deficit Buddy who stops and starts songs, forgets what he's saying (or playing), meanders all over the stage and venue acting a bit goofy and, while entertaining, isn't terribly fulfilling musically.

# # #

I saw the former do a 45 minute opening set for the Stones in Chicago on the last night of BB tour in Chicago, 1999. He was vicious and I think he was pissed that the United Center was only a third full for his hometown set and, perhaps, because he wasn't sitting in with the Stones later. Rather, the Stones did a quick, tidy show that began at the stroke of 8pm apparently because they had to be out of the country by midnight per work/visa rules or something.

I've seen plenty of ADD Buddy shows as well. Living in a medium sized market a couple hours from Chicago we get to see Buddy at least once a year.

Also, I'm old. I saw Buddy with Junior Wells when I was in high school. I'll be 66 next month.

I would concur with the above. Saw Buddy (with Junior) in a jazz club in Glasgow many years ago and he was on fire. Next time I saw him was at the prestigious Royal Concert Hall when he was promoting the "Damn Right..." album and he was all over the place, goofing around and never finishing a tune. The best thing about that show was that it introduced me to the music of John Campbell, who was support. Apparently Buddy was on fantastic form the next time he played the city, but I can't confirm that as the previous show had put me off going to see him again.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 8, 2023 00:43

I saw him too with Junior Wells, Koko Taylor, BB King and Lonnie Brooks. He was all about the business of playing awesome guitar and while I already heard of stories and was excited to see him it surpassed all expectations.

He did get a little goofier as time went on , not sure why, but sometimes only showed flashes of that brilliance.

Either way, he's the last living blues legend imo and still worth catching if you can.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 8, 2023 01:54

I must have got lucky, the two times I caught him it was the smoking guitarist you’d want to see, defying age.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: July 9, 2023 10:09

kovach
I saw him too with Junior Wells, Koko Taylor, BB King and Lonnie Brooks. He was all about the business of playing awesome guitar and while I already heard of stories and was excited to see him it surpassed all expectations.

He did get a little goofier as time went on , not sure why, but sometimes only showed flashes of that brilliance.

Either way, he's the last living blues legend imo and still worth catching if you can.

Oh, yes. Buddy was an innovator and guitar genius. He was a musical hero of mine and guitar inspiration since my teens which is why I was so disappointed with his goofing around and musical meandering, particularly in such a prestigious venue when was at last beginning to get international recognition. It just felt like he was treating the audience as if they had no knowledge of his work or understanding of the blues and I wondered if it was because we were a European audience. As he got older, BB King used to ham things up in his shows here, verging towards cabaret and I wondered the same thing at the time.

For sure I would love to see Buddy one more time, but the tour doesn't come anywhere near me.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: July 9, 2023 23:17

Even at his club there are times when he makes more of a show of things than trying to be musical.

Posted by: wolundamo ()
Date: July 12, 2023 13:26

Saw him yeterday in Paris. He was fabulous and absolutely on. Heartwarming and on fire. Location was l'olympia. A place where erverybody played. Ftom James Brown to the Rolling Stones... you should go and see him! E.g. in Praha on sunday

Posted by: GeirGG ()
Date: July 12, 2023 19:47

Yes, great show yesterday!

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: July 12, 2023 21:02

wolundamo
...you should go and see him! E.g. in Praha on sunday
Last show in Europe. 2 shows in Israel cancelled. Then touring US.

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: July 12, 2023 23:20

Great show in Paris
He's not going anymore into the audience
A bit of talking but not that much
great

More photos and video on ROCKERPARIS.

Date: July 13, 2023 04:44

Posted by: bisonvodka ()
Date: July 13, 2023 12:03

I am going to see him in Prague on Sunday. Tickets still availabe.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 14, 2023 20:50

MAF
wolundamo

does anybody know why these shows have been cancelled?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 14, 2023 21:22

slewan
MAF
wolundamo

essentially politics. end of discussion.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 14, 2023 21:50

kovach

Yes that’s why I don’t see him anymore. Too much goofy around on stage. Playing half songs that just gets annoying after awhile. No need for that Buddy just play and quit the horsing around

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 15, 2023 10:21

bisonvodka

Me too, currently sitting in Kraków airport waiting on my flight to Prague !! Can't wait for tomorrow .....

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Nankstone ()
Date: July 15, 2023 11:49

paulywaul
bisonvodka

Me too, currently sitting in Kraków airport waiting on my flight to Prague !! Can't wait for tomorrow .....

Me too, tomorrow 2 friends and i driving to Prague from Leipzig.
It seems that the Prague gig could, should be, the last Buddy Guy concert worldwide ... except USA/Canada.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 15, 2023 11:53

crholmstrom
slewan
MAF
wolundamo

essentially politics. end of discussion.

Sounds about right !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: July 15, 2023 14:33

Hm, he hasn’t played the UK since 2017, and is still adding dates to his Farewell tour. Let us see.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 15, 2023 14:44

GeirGG
Hm, he hasn’t played the UK since 2017, and is still adding dates to his Farewell tour. Let us see.

do you really think he might come back to Europe (or at least the UK)? His tour schedule is very tight and there are shows booked until late Novemeber

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: July 16, 2023 03:57

This is one of the things I like about this forum. It often reminds me of other people I want to see. Never seen Buddy Guy (I saw few concerts by anybody in "my middle decades"), and this thread popping up reminded me, I'd intended to check back on if Buddy was adding shows near me.

Answer: Yep, he did.

Just got back -- from the box office of a Richmond theater formerly called The Mosque -- with Oct 17 tix for Buddy.

He's actually playing another old Richmond theater, the Carpenter Center, but "the Mosque" (renamed Altria) box office covers that too.

Fun historical footnote:

Elvis in 1955 - 1956 played the Mosque... four?... different dates, two shows per date.

Anybody who's seen Alfred Wertheimer's well-known 1956 photo series from when he tagged along with Elvis for a few days, paid for by RCA, will have seen his shots of Elvis in Richmond and playing the Mosque June...30?, 1956. Including of him offstage in a stairwell kissing a blonde.

Wertheimer's 1956 Elvis series wasn't quite Jim Marshall's Rolling Stones 1972, but at the time it was as close to it as rock n roll photography got.

Anyway, that same theater is still operating. (Springsteen played a free show in the park facing it in... 1971? 1972?) I just got my Damn Right Buddy Guy tix there. And I'm seeing Parliament Funkadelic w/ George Clinton there next month.

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-16 04:07 by TheBluesHadaBaby.

Date: July 16, 2023 04:26

I wouldn’t be surprised. He was in shockingly good shape. Maybe play the Royal Albert Hall next year?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 16, 2023 05:37

Last saw Buddy in a very small theater about 15 years ago with my wife - excellent show as always.
He came out to the audience with guitar a'blazing, and then came up to my wife and I with a wide eyed grin while playing a Hendrix style solo - amazing.
He then allowed my wife to strum his guitar while he gave me a friendly wink and then his guitar pick! That was one of the most memorable moments I've ever encountered at any concert by anyone.
I also went to his blues club in Chicago in 2010, and sure enough there was Buddy manning the gift shop selling t-shirts, etc. While he didn't perform that night, he was extra nice to everyone.
I bought a shirt from him, he offered to autograph it, and then let me take a couple of pictures with him. I'm not usually one to getting autographs from anyone, but when it's offered from Buddy Guy...hard to refuse!

Date: July 16, 2023 22:18

Amazing story Hairball... thumbs up

Start time in prague, Buddy on stage cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-17 01:20 by Nankstone.

Date: July 17, 2023 20:11

What an incredible concert in these beautiful city of Prague - specially food & beer smileys with beer
(by the way - the location had only little flair, but the sound inside was fabulous).
The most special moment for me was when Buddy took a trip into the audience.
My place in row 1 (left block) was right at the end of the steps leading down from the stage, he came right up to me and we had a wonderful moment face to face half a meter away, i was in heaven ...

Here is my setlist I wrote down at the concert, 2 of my pictures & a critical link :

Intro - band only
01 - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues
02 - I'm Your Hoochie Choochie Man (Willie Dixon Cover)
03 - She's Nineteen Years Old (Muddy Waters Cover)
04 - I Just Want to Make Love To You (Willie Dixon Cover)
05 - How Blue Can You Get (Johnny Moore's Cover)
06 - Grits And Groceries (Little Milton Cover) --- incl. snippets of "Sunshine Of Your Love" / "Miss You" / "Take Me To The River"
07 - Boom Boom (John Lee Hooker Cover) --- short version
08 - Voodoo Chile - Slight Return (Jimi Hendrix Cover)
09 - Skin Deep
10 - Someone Else Is Steppin' In (Denise LaSalle Cover) --- walk from stage to crowd and back
11 - Cheaper To Keep Her (Johnny Taylor Cover)
12 - Love Her With A Feeling
Band Intros
13 - Strange Brew (Cream Cover)
14 - Got My Mojo Working (But It Just Won't Work On You) (Ann Cole Cover)
15 - I Let My Guitar Do The Talking
Outro - only band

Support : Tom Humbridge & Dan Souvigny - 20:15-20:45
Buddy Guy & Band : 21:16-22:39 (Buddy Guy on stage 21:18-22:36)

Band :
Ric "Jaz" Hall - g
Orando Wright - bg
Tom Humbridge - dr
Dan Souvigny - keys

[bnn.network]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-18 09:01 by Nankstone.

Date: July 17, 2023 22:16

Nankstone
What an incredible concert in these beautiful city of Prague - specially food & beer smileys with beer
(by the way - the location had only little flair, but the sound inside was fabulous).
My place in row 1 (left block) was right at the end of the steps leading down from the stage, he came right up to me and we had a wonderful moment face to face half a meter away, i was in heaven ...

Here is my setlist I wrote down at the concert, 2 of my pictures & a critical link :

Intro - band only
06 - Grits And Groceries (Little Milton Cover) --- incl. snippets of "Sunshine Of Your Love" / "Miss You" / "Take Me To The River"
09 - Skin Deep
10 - Someone Else Is Steppin' In (Denise LaSalle Cover)
11 - Cheaper To Keep Her (Johnny Taylor Cover) --- walk from stage to the crowd and back
12 - Strange Brew (Cream Cover)
13 - Got My Mojo Working (But It Just Won't Work On You) (Ann Cole Cover)
14 - I Let My Guitar Do The Talking
Outro - only band

Band :
Ric "Jaz" Hall - g
Orando Wright - bg
Tom Humbridge - dr
Dan Souvigny - keys

[bnn.network]

Glad you had a good time. I've seen Buddy a lot over the years & have never been disappointed. I actually got to sit down & have a drink with Buddy before a show once. Really nice man. Fantastic stories! I'm seeing him in a few weeks in Seattle.

Date: July 17, 2023 23:32

Yes, I think he's definitely a nice guy, his charisma is amazing.

If you live in North America it is of course easier to see him LIVE than in Europe, for me it was only the 2nd time (Stuttgart 2017 & Prague 2023) - both were incredibly good concerts.
On this tour there were only 5 concerts in Europe (2x France, Netherlands, Switzerland and Czech Republic - no UK, no Scandinavia, no Germany, no Italy etc.)
In Europe, I'm afraid it will hardly work out with a concert by Buddy Guy in the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-17 23:36 by Nankstone.

Date: July 18, 2023 09:05

I'm edited the setlist a bit, sorry but after Buddys walk in the crowd i was too confused.
Now the setlist should be complete.

Date: July 18, 2023 11:46

Nankstone
I'm edited the setlist a bit, sorry but after Buddys walk in the crowd i was too confused.
Now the setlist should be complete.

Thank you

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 18, 2023 21:49

Nankstone

Intro - band only
09 - Skin Deep
10 - Someone Else Is Steppin' In (Denise LaSalle Cover) --- walk from stage to crowd and back
11 - Cheaper To Keep Her (Johnny Taylor Cover)
12 - Love Her With A Feeling
Band Intros
13 - Strange Brew (Cream Cover)
14 - Got My Mojo Working (But It Just Won't Work On You) (Ann Cole Cover)
15 - I Let My Guitar Do The Talking
Outro - only band

Band :
Ric "Jaz" Hall - g
Orando Wright - bg
Tom Humbridge - dr
Dan Souvigny - keys

[bnn.network]

Great pics and post Nankstone, and nice to know Buddy is still putting on fantastic and memorable shows at 86 years old...amazing!!!
Like Willie Nelson (90), Bob Dylan (82), Tony Bennett (96) - Buddy is a living legend and an American treasure.

Date: July 18, 2023 23:30

So true Hairball cool smiley

Clip with stones-connections in sound and word winking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1923
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home