Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Buddy Guy - Damn Right Farewell Tour
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 1, 2023 21:18

Chitown23
I saw Buddy at his club in Chicago during his January residency in 2022 and 2023.
In 2023, his son, Greg, did a lot of playing. I don't recall Greg playing in 2022. He rips, btw.

Greg came out and played on a song late in the show - he’s damn good.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 2, 2023 22:01

rbk
You never know which Buddy you're going to get. There's the force of nature, hurricane of blistering six-string fire, focused and ferocious Buddy "M-ther F-ck-ng" Guy...

OR

There can be Attention Deficit Buddy who stops and starts songs, forgets what he's saying (or playing), meanders all over the stage and venue acting a bit goofy and, while entertaining, isn't terribly fulfilling musically.

# # #

I saw the former do a 45 minute opening set for the Stones in Chicago on the last night of BB tour in Chicago, 1999. He was vicious and I think he was pissed that the United Center was only a third full for his hometown set and, perhaps, because he wasn't sitting in with the Stones later. Rather, the Stones did a quick, tidy show that began at the stroke of 8pm apparently because they had to be out of the country by midnight per work/visa rules or something.

I've seen plenty of ADD Buddy shows as well. Living in a medium sized market a couple hours from Chicago we get to see Buddy at least once a year.

I concur completely rbk, you never know.
I agree, after seeing Buddy in two solo shows in Columbus, OH years ago, and then at the Beacon and in Milwaukee with the RS, I enjoyed him most in Milwaukee. I even got a pick he threw out there.

I would still likely take the chance to see him again.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-02 22:03 by angee.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 3, 2023 04:03

Saw him a few weeks ago with Eric Gales and Ally Venable, great show, they all came out at the end and jammed a bit at the end.

Got Mr Gales autograph and a picture.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 3, 2023 06:58

kovach
Saw him a few weeks ago with Eric Gales and Ally Venable, great show, they all came out at the end and jammed a bit at the end.

Got Mr Gales autograph and a picture.

Got tickets to see him once more in Sonoma.

Aly Venable is one of the young talented blues players and I saw Eric Gales with Samantha Fish and was impressed.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: April 3, 2023 17:19

angee
rbk
You never know which Buddy you're going to get. There's the force of nature, hurricane of blistering six-string fire, focused and ferocious Buddy "M-ther F-ck-ng" Guy...

OR

There can be Attention Deficit Buddy who stops and starts songs, forgets what he's saying (or playing), meanders all over the stage and venue acting a bit goofy and, while entertaining, isn't terribly fulfilling musically.

# # #

I saw the former do a 45 minute opening set for the Stones in Chicago on the last night of BB tour in Chicago, 1999. He was vicious and I think he was pissed that the United Center was only a third full for his hometown set and, perhaps, because he wasn't sitting in with the Stones later. Rather, the Stones did a quick, tidy show that began at the stroke of 8pm apparently because they had to be out of the country by midnight per work/visa rules or something.

I've seen plenty of ADD Buddy shows as well. Living in a medium sized market a couple hours from Chicago we get to see Buddy at least once a year.

I concur completely rbk, you never know.
I agree, after seeing Buddy in two solo shows in Columbus, OH years ago, and then at the Beacon and in Milwaukee with the RS, I enjoyed him most in Milwaukee. I even got a pick he threw out there.

I would still likely take the chance to see him again.

I saw one of his pre-covid shows and I would not take the chance again.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 3, 2023 23:00

crholmstrom
JDSAM1994
crholmstrom
TheGreek
Buddy Guy is one of the best bluesman period

Jimi Hendrix once cancelled a show to go watch Buddy. & remember Keith giving Buddy his guitar during the "Shine a Light" show. Ultimate respect! & Buddy is a reallly nice man. I had the chance to have a drink with him once & I just listened to him tell stories. I'll always cherish that memory. He's the last of those guys who came up to Chicago from the cotton fields & is a national treasure. We are so lucky to have him still with us & out there playing!

I think that the gifting of the guitar was a movie stunt. Keith still has the guitar. Saw him playing it in 2019

Actually it's up on the wall of Buddy's club in Chicago.

Buddy is a legend and the last man standing of the Cotton fields guard! However, Keith played a black Gibson 355 on Champagne and reefer at the Beacon. The Guild must have been a replacement gift I'm afraid...

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 3, 2023 23:11

crholmstrom
roma1927
crholmstrom
daspyknows
I wonder if that is the final tour or whether it will be like Elton John's final tour which lasts half a decade and hits every city 3 times. I have seen him at least ten times and would go once more.

At age 86 now you can't be sure how long it will go on. Buddy has defintely earned his rest, he's been a road warrior for a real long time. I've seen him play in a small bar with Junior Wells (he played on standing on the bar) to much larger venues. He always puts on a good show & has mentored many young blues guitar players. I'm sure you know all that @daspyknows , haha. I don't see a Seattle date yet but the announcement does say more dates to be announced.

There are any possibilities to see him in Europe 2023?

I would guess that will happen in the more dates to be announced part of the post.

Yup, for sure. I'm going to see him in Prague on 16 July ... sad to think that it'll be for the last time. But hey ... time waits for no-one (as well we know) !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: April 4, 2023 02:28

MadMax
crholmstrom
JDSAM1994
crholmstrom
TheGreek
Buddy Guy is one of the best bluesman period

Jimi Hendrix once cancelled a show to go watch Buddy. & remember Keith giving Buddy his guitar during the "Shine a Light" show. Ultimate respect! & Buddy is a reallly nice man. I had the chance to have a drink with him once & I just listened to him tell stories. I'll always cherish that memory. He's the last of those guys who came up to Chicago from the cotton fields & is a national treasure. We are so lucky to have him still with us & out there playing!

I think that the gifting of the guitar was a movie stunt. Keith still has the guitar. Saw him playing it in 2019

Actually it's up on the wall of Buddy's club in Chicago.

Buddy is a legend and the last man standing of the Cotton fields guard! However, Keith played a black Gibson 355 on Champagne and reefer at the Beacon. The Guild must have been a replacement gift I'm afraid...

Take a closer look at the video, it’s the same guitar. I know he usually plays the black Gibson with the Bigsby tremolo, but that one is a solid tremolo. This one is a cut out, as is the one in the Champagne and reefer video. The knobs are the same too, as is the headstock and the Guild logo.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 7, 2023 16:56

So, this morning one of Buddy's songs came on rotation ("Help Wanted"), and I was mesmerized from the beginning. That incredible guitar phrasing, that voice, the passion, the joy, the humor, the generosity, all the things that make Buddy so great ...

... and then I started to think about the fact this is the last year I will ever be able to see Buddy perform live ...

... and then I began to think about all the joy that Buddy has brought to my life, and that he will soon be gone ...

... and then I began to cry ...

Drew

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: May 7, 2023 17:19

drewmaster
So, this morning one of Buddy's songs came on rotation ("Help Wanted"), and I was mesmerized from the beginning. That incredible guitar phrasing, that voice, the passion, the joy, the humor, the generosity, all the things that make Buddy so great ...

... and then I started to think about the fact this is the last year I will ever be able to see Buddy perform live ...

... and then I began to think about all the joy that Buddy has brought to my life, and that he will soon be gone ...

... and then I began to cry ...

Drew

And that's why we have to keep seeing these old guys, and thanks to the Stones, I've seen him twice.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 7, 2023 18:59

He won’t be touring, but I thought he would still play at his club in Chicago. Hope that’s true. You may just have to make a pilgrimage, Drew!

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 7, 2023 19:19

SomeTorontoGirl
He won’t be touring, but I thought he would still play at his club in Chicago. Hope that’s true. You may just have to make a pilgrimage, Drew!

Excellent idea!! Thank you STG smileys with beer

Drew

OT: Buddy Guy - Damn Right Farewell Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 13, 2023 16:39

‘The Damn Right Farewell Tour’: The Great Buddy Guy Hits The Road One Last Time

Wendy Pearl
06/12/2023

ON THE COVER: Buddy Guy performs at the Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts in Greensboro, North Carolina, March 23. Photo by Luke Jamroz

[news.pollstar.com]

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 13, 2023 16:53

I am seeing him in Prague. Happy, but also kinda sad to think that it's for the last time ....

Time Waits For No-one !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Nankstone ()
Date: June 14, 2023 22:52

Yep - for me the second and (probably unfortunately) the last concert with Buddy Guy in Prague.

Support for Prague is singer, songwriter, drummer and producer Tom Hambridge.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: June 15, 2023 06:48

Just saw Kingfish Ingram is supporting him on some dates, I’m going to see him in July and looking forward to it.

[m.youtube.com]

He just has it, what ever that it is.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: June 15, 2023 08:59

I’ve seen Kingfish three times now and he definitely delivers.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 20, 2023 21:36

Date: June 20, 2023 21:41

Good lord, are they trying to kill the poor man? That's a lot of dates!

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 20, 2023 23:10

has anyone seen him recently? how long does he play?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 21, 2023 00:10

One of the new dates is near me. I haven't seen him for about ten years, other than what turned out to be a brief appearance at one of those Jimi Hendrix Experience shows, I may have to take the plunge if it's the last time.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 21, 2023 01:16

kovach

Old school work ethic. He's been doing it most of his adult life. He's doing one last payday. I'm going & it wasn't cheap. I was dragging my feet but my friend bought us tickets. He always puts on a good show.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 22, 2023 09:59

There's some great videos from his latest tour on this YT channel:

Date: June 23, 2023 05:01

crholmstrom
kovach

Old school work ethic. He's been doing it most of his adult life. He's doing one last payday. I'm going & it wasn't cheap. I was dragging my feet but my friend bought us tickets. He always puts on a good show.

Oh you don't have to tell me how good of a show he puts on, seen him twice in the last 2 years, and probably 4 times before that dating back to when he had hair. smileys with beer

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: June 23, 2023 18:49

go and listen to some records of his.
vanguard, chess, stone cold crazy, dj play my blues. it's all pretty outrageous

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 23, 2023 21:14

Damn right I am going

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 6, 2023 19:47

Will try and catch him in Tupelo if anyone nearby is going

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: July 7, 2023 02:43

Just got tix to Stern Grove to see him. Free show.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 7, 2023 13:24

I saw Buddy just before the covid madness and it was rather sad. I left early. I probably caught him on one of his bad days.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: July 7, 2023 17:01

Paddy
Just saw Kingfish Ingram is supporting him on some dates, I’m going to see him in July and looking forward to it.

[m.youtube.com]

He just has it, what ever that it is.

He's great live. Saw him last October after missing him at Hyde Park (he played, but not on the main stage). Enjoyed the gig more than I expected. He delivers.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1962
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home