Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Dead & Company - The Final Tour
Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: July 16, 2023 09:59

My bad… they played “Space” and “Drums” both nights

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-16 22:15 by MizzAmandaJonez.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: July 24, 2023 23:15

This piece appeared in the print edition of Sunday’s NYT:

[www.nytimes.com]

Interesting factoid:

“A funny thing happened as this new band wound its way across the United States: The Dead became a cultural touchstone again. Dead & Company attracted a new crop of younger fans, as did tribute bands like Joe Russo’s Almost Dead. Last August, the Dead had its largest week of record sales in 35 years, according to its publisher; in February, it won its first Grammy. Between 2012 and 2022, U.S. streams of Dead songs increased at nearly double the rate of the Rolling Stones, according to the tracking service Luminate.“

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: July 25, 2023 00:54

MizzAmandaJonez

Yes, they play drums and space every show, but they are unique, free form pieces. More like jazz, improv explorations that sometimes elevate into mystical, magical moments and sometimes (most times?) are just opportunities to re-pack your pipe or a bathroom break before the the next tune. To me, the physical power of the "Drums" section hitting your chest can be amazing in the right arena; "Space" is sometimes like trying to corral cats on acid.

Opinions can vary greatly from one fan to the next on whether communion with the creator was achieved or "there goes 15-20 minutes of my life", often heavily influenced by the chemical intake of the listener.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: July 27, 2023 04:43

shawnriffhard1
MizzAmandaJonez

Yes, they play drums and space every show, but they are unique, free form pieces. More like jazz, improv explorations that sometimes elevate into mystical, magical moments and sometimes (most times?) are just opportunities to re-pack your pipe or a bathroom break before the the next tune. To me, the physical power of the "Drums" section hitting your chest can be amazing in the right arena; "Space" is sometimes like trying to corral cats on acid.

Opinions can vary greatly from one fan to the next on whether communion with the creator was achieved or "there goes 15-20 minutes of my life", often heavily influenced by the chemical intake of the listener.

Oh my, so true. Great take on it.

OT: A requiem for The Dead and Company - a fan's take
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 2, 2023 18:56

A long interesting read regarding the Grateful Dead and the band's various reincarnations. Made me wonder how the legacy of the Stones, Beatles, Dylan, Neil Young, etc., will be considered in the future many years from now.

[www.theringer.com]

Re: OT: A requiem for The Dead and Company - a fan's take
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 2, 2023 19:17

Sorry but as a life long Grateful Dead fan this band was an absolute joke to me. Slowwwww versions of songs, horrible vocals, just bad for me and pretty much all the Deadheads I have spoke to.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: August 2, 2023 19:57

The pace of their playing doesn’t bother me much. But I always gravitated to Jerry’s slow burners such as Sugaree, Standing on the Moon and Ship of Fools.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: August 2, 2023 20:39

I have seen the Dead over 20 times with Jerry, what drives me nuts the most about Dead & Co is John Mayer's vocals. Does not fit with the Dead

Posted by: Torontoluke ()
Date: August 2, 2023 20:55

I went to the final 3 shows in sf and loved every minute of it. People either get it or they don’t. To each their own.

Posted by: StonesSoCal ()
Date: August 3, 2023 00:41

To each their own definitely. I went to many of the shows of this version of the Dead and I thought it was excellent and musically rewarding. I go all the way back to the Jerry days (Jerry is a favorite of mine) and this has been a fun ride since 2015. This isn't the end of the Dead live...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-03 00:54 by StonesSoCal.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 3, 2023 15:02

StonesSoCal
To each their own definitely. I went to many of the shows of this version of the Dead and I thought it was excellent and musically rewarding. I go all the way back to the Jerry days (Jerry is a favorite of mine) and this has been a fun ride since 2015. This isn't the end of the Dead live...

Yeah, it would be nice if they also said good bye to Europe!

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: August 8, 2023 20:32

My band, the Amazing Mongooses, last Sunday night at Jerry Day Atlanta. Entire show! Cheers!

[archive.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-09 01:54 by Mongoose.

OT: Dead & Company - The Final Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 3, 2023 20:53

“We will play shows. I have to believe we love this music so much we’re gonna play shows.” - John Mayer on the future of Dead & Company, "Watch What Happens Live" October 2

OT: Dead & Company
Date: December 16, 2023 01:09

Grateful Dead offshoot Dead & Co., John Mayer in talks for Vegas Sphere residency: sources

By Josh Kosman and Ian Mohr
Dec. 14, 2023

[nypost.com]

Re: OT: Dead & Company
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 16, 2023 03:19

bye bye johnny
Grateful Dead offshoot Dead & Co., John Mayer in talks for Vegas Sphere residency: sources

Dec. 14, 2023

[nypost.com]

How can we miss them if they won't go away?spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 20, 2023 19:50

Per crholmstrom - How can we miss them if they won't go away? - the O'Jays have the best answer as to why the Sphere is in their future (and probably so many others).

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: December 23, 2023 23:26

"Jerry's Dead,
Phish Suck,
Get a job!"
>grinning smiley<spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 23, 2023 23:29

The Sphere would be the ultimate trip.

Date: February 1, 2024 02:05

[www.instagram.com]

Dead & Company, John Mayer to follow U2 with residency at Las Vegas Sphere: sources

Jan. 31, 2024

[nypost.com]

Date: February 1, 2024 17:02

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home