Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones don't have that much unreleased stuff ?
Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: November 27, 2005 07:22

I haven't purchased "Rarities" yet, but I will (just for one song), but I was reading a review and it stated that Mick is quoted in the CD's liner notes as saying that there is "not much in the vaults". Is he insane ? Why would he say that ? Does he think that fans of the band are that stupid. They could release a myriad of cds with unreleased stuff. I know that wouldn't appeal to the masses, but for Mick to say that there is not much there is just ludicrous !

Re: The Stones don't have that much unreleased stuff ?
Posted by: CSD ()
Date: November 27, 2005 10:59

Mick actually says in the liner notes that there IS a significant trove of unreleased material in the vault and he expects most of it will never see the light of day.

Date: November 27, 2005 11:29

However there isn't much unreleased stuff in the vaults that is actually FINISHED. And if it IS finished it is most often impossible to release ("@#$%& blues", "Claudine") or was just not good enough to be on the Stones album for which it was originally recorded.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 27, 2005 12:04

And Jagger simply does not want to go back to old unfinished tapes, listen to hundreds of hours of unfinished material to find a couple of gems that are well worth of further work to release them. I remember Ronnie mentioning that it is easier to write and record new songs, instead of going back to old tapes from sessions decades ago and try to finish them.

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: November 27, 2005 12:29

F.U.C. the Captain wrote:
"...it is most often impossible to release ("@#$%& blues", "Claudine")"..."

Why would it be impossible to release Claudine?

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: November 27, 2005 16:27

Wasn't there a libel issue with Claudine?

@#$%& was released by Telefunken Decca 'The Rest of the Best', Teldec 6.30125FX, a 4 record box set on Dec 16 1983. It was a bonus single but the set was withdrawn & re-released without the single in Jan 1984.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 27, 2005 16:38

When I take a look at my outtakes CDs there are dozens
of diffrent unreleased songs...

Posted by: davido ()
Date: November 27, 2005 16:42

I don't think @#$%& Blues would be so
controversial or outrageous anymore, but
Jagger might not want to be associated
with it. Or would he?

Date: November 27, 2005 18:50

@#$%& Blues is one Stones song that really makes me cringe. I wish they'd never recorded it. (Well, it's not even the Stones, just Jagger, from the version I've listened to.)

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 27, 2005 19:29

CS Blues is not a song I like either. I dont think anybody likes it. Why would anybody like it. After all, it was written as a "@#$%& Off" to DECCA. If one should consider studio outtakes for release, why on earth should that song be one of them? Claudine is completely different. Because its a good song, with a great rocking rythm.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: November 28, 2005 10:53

The point in response to the first post is: The Stones have probably more unissued material than most major rock 'n ' rollers: many of us have much of it on bootlegs. BBC stuff, Camden (& other) live, Chess outtakes, IBC stuff from 3/63, various great live sets from different eras, 'Still a Fool,' Keith's Country songs circa ER (played on the NBs tour),lots of outtakes from all the post-Exile albums. Alternate versions/mixes all the up to VL & B2B. Thy need a curator/team (like the Dead, among others) who know the music, have some perspective and a fan's obsessivness. Hell the Stones couldn'tr even get a sarisfying collection of previously issued rarities.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: November 28, 2005 13:04

BUt they have also used up a lot of material on Tattoo you and others. Love is strong is probably a remake of a Satanic outtake demo. The IORR/GHS outtakes are great. Just great.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: November 28, 2005 20:05

Based on the number of "complete songs" I have, they have at least enough for 2-3 discs. AS far as CS Blues is concerned, I think it's great. I think it shows a lot of Mick's "dark side".

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: November 28, 2005 22:25

CSB suits you rockers, but hey, please let it stay in the dark now... They're in theur 60s.....

I hope they let Claudine and the rest in the vaults stay there. New songs are more fun, and I can enjoy the bootlegs with all the unfinished and rough edges to them anytime I want. I really think a lot of those songs would loose their touch if they were polished and remixed and stuff like that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2189
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home