Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Article on Documentary about Robert Frank -- Stones Content
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 25, 2022 16:07

How was Frank able to go so far and finish his movie without the Stones knowing about its content and what he was doing til after it was complete? Did they just give him carte blanche to do whatever he wanted and didn't keep track of things and were wakened with a rude surprise when it was finished?

plexi

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 26, 2022 11:20

Another factor is Frank blamed the band for the fall and death of CBlues co-director and dear friend Danny Seymour :

"In other interviews, Frank’s reflections on the film center on the fate of his friend and collaborator on the shoot Danny Seymour: “We both made the film together, but he really sort of lived what the Stones imagined they were living. It was a drug scene, but he really did it in front of the camera, and I lived with him, so I made the film on him, part of it.”

Elsewhere, Frank elaborated about the toll the film took on Seymour: “Without him it was very hard to make the film. So I was disappointed at the end that he was so strung out. I mean he was really gone. And [the Rolling Stones] did promise in the beginning they would help him, send him to Switzerland or somewhere, and of course the tour was over and they were gone. And Danny was left like that.”
(quote from : "Awakening the Eye - Robert Frank’s American Cinema")

So Frank might have used the final cut of the film as a revenge against the band.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 27, 2022 08:31

dcba
Another factor is Frank blamed the band for the fall and death of CBlues co-director and dear friend Danny Seymour :

"In other interviews, Frank’s reflections on the film center on the fate of his friend and collaborator on the shoot Danny Seymour: “We both made the film together, but he really sort of lived what the Stones imagined they were living. It was a drug scene, but he really did it in front of the camera, and I lived with him, so I made the film on him, part of it.”

Elsewhere, Frank elaborated about the toll the film took on Seymour: “Without him it was very hard to make the film. So I was disappointed at the end that he was so strung out. I mean he was really gone. And [the Rolling Stones] did promise in the beginning they would help him, send him to Switzerland or somewhere, and of course the tour was over and they were gone. And Danny was left like that.”
(quote from : "Awakening the Eye - Robert Frank’s American Cinema")

So Frank might have used the final cut of the film as a revenge against the band.

Could be. Has anyone ever said that before, or is this just your own conclusion/speculation about one possibility?

plexi

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 27, 2022 09:32

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 27, 2022 09:46

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 27, 2022 13:18

Who cares what the focus was. Frank managed to not make the Stones outrageous butto make a beautiful band like the Stones seem ugly , boring, and tired with his off stage filming. The only thing of worth are the fantastic but fleeting concert scenes.I would only be interested if any additional live footage exists that he filmed

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 27, 2022 19:38

timbernardis
is this just your own conclusion/speculation about one possibility?

plexi

My speculation.
Another factor is Frank lost his daughter in a plane crash in 74... The loss of is daughter + Seymour going MIA the year before = Frank certainly was in a bleak state of mind.
Did he pick the most problematic bits of raw footage to make a very bleak docu about the 72 tour?

CSB doesn't really reflect the legendary triumph that was the 1972 American tour (that's an understatement).

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1770
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home