Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: New Bill Wyman album coming!
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 25, 2022 23:01

Big Al
Bill’s Ju Suis Un Rockstar faired better on the U.K. singles chart than Mick or Keith solo release; Dancing in the Street, aside. I think Ju Suis reaches the dizzying heights of #14 It stayed in the top-40 for a reasonable time, too.

I should listen to it. I have heard it before, though don’t recollect the melody.

Bill has "some" decent songs, but sorry, Je Suis Un Rockstar is not one of them... despite that it may have had some sales (most probably from Stones fans, I highly doubt anyone listed to that on the radio and decided they had to have it).

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 26, 2022 05:57

LeonidP
Big Al
Bill’s Ju Suis Un Rockstar faired better on the U.K. singles chart than Mick or Keith solo release; Dancing in the Street, aside. I think Ju Suis reaches the dizzying heights of #14 It stayed in the top-40 for a reasonable time, too.

I should listen to it. I have heard it before, though don’t recollect the melody.

Bill has "some" decent songs, but sorry, Je Suis Un Rockstar is not one of them... despite that it may have had some sales (most probably from Stones fans, I highly doubt anyone listed to that on the radio and decided they had to have it).

It's great. It's very quirkiness is what makes it. He came up with what he called, 'Cockney French'. And he plays all those fun keyboards, along with his bass. He couldn't get anyone else to record and I think he just loosened up. It's too bad he wasn't able to contribute more keyboards/synths to Stones songs. He's actually quite good.

I think it could have been a novelty hit without it being Bill Wyman. It went to number 5 in Australia.

Date: August 26, 2022 06:07

24FPS
LeonidP
Big Al

It's great. It's very quirkiness is what makes it. He came up with what he called, 'Cockney French'. And he plays all those fun keyboards, along with his bass. He couldn't get anyone else to record and I think he just loosened up. It's too bad he wasn't able to contribute more keyboards/synths to Stones songs. He's actually quite good.

I think it could have been a novelty hit without it being Bill Wyman. It went to number 5 in Australia.

Really? Great? LOL, who other than Stones fans even knows about this today? I wouldn't necessarily call it awful, but its certainly not any good.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: August 26, 2022 11:46

If it hadn't been a wyman song, 99% of stones fans would probably have thought it was awefull. Because that's what it is smiling smiley I own Stone Alone and Monkey Grip and the latter has a few nice tunes, but the majority… My goodness…

The guy can play bass like a boss, but he can't sing and also can't write.

i mean..

Pussy in the well right now
Never put your pussy down

Cause there might come a time
When I need a little pussy
And a little pussy can't be found

So pussy in the world right now

Ooooh I need your pussy right now
Ooooh I miss it so
Ooooh last time I lost your pussy
Didn't want to let her go
Never should've let her go

Ooooh I miss it so

Ding dong bell
Pussy's in the well
Who put your pussy down?
Ding dong bell
Pussy's in the well
Who put your pussy down?

Cause now's the time
I need a little pussy

Ding dong bell
Pussy's in the well
Whoever put your ding dong down

confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-26 11:46 by ribbelchips.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: August 26, 2022 12:51

LeonidP
24FPS
LeonidP
Big Al

Really? Great? LOL, who other than Stones fans even knows about this today? I wouldn't necessarily call it awful, but its certainly not any good.

Si, Si, Je Suis Un Rockstar is one of those unpredictable and hugely variable "odd" songs that captures the attention in the UK from time to time. To really appreciate its (strange) nature you really need to be infused in that culture.

In that respect it's not in the slightest different to some songs that only "work" in the USA. Wasn't "Green Beret" featuring John Wayne a hit in the USA and dead in the water everywhere else?

I guess I'm defining a new term ...culture specific hits.

(Bill originally intended the song for Ian Dury and The Blockheads - huge in the UK, missing in action in the USA.)

So, given that judgement of music quality is largely subjective, the fact that it was a hit in the UK by definition makes it great in the UK.

And, yes, I like it. Not least because it doesn't take itself too seriously. Watch the video.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: August 26, 2022 13:59

ribbelchips
If it hadn't been a wyman song, 99% of stones fans would probably have thought it was awefull.

Exactly. Like with almost every song Bill did. Mediocrity at its best.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 26, 2022 16:36

LeonidP
Big Al

If it is mostly Stones fans who bought it into charts, why Ronnie Wood or even Keith Richards do not have any single in top 75 in UK charts ever (could be top 100 as well, or charting at all, but my source just listed 75)? And even Mick has not managed to do better without dueting with a high-profile co-stars?

Stones fans like to support Wyman, but not the rest?

Translation: a weak argument to bash Wyman.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-26 16:36 by Doxa.

Date: August 26, 2022 16:40

LeonidP
24FPS
LeonidP
Big Al

How this differ from any Ronnie, Keith or even Mick solo song (Jagger's duet with Bowie is a sort of cult classic the hipsters know these days). Or actually of any Stones song since "Start Me Up"?

Translation: another weak argument to bash Wyman. smiling smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-26 16:44 by Doxa.

Date: August 26, 2022 17:58

Doxa
LeonidP
Big Al

If it is mostly Stones fans who bought it into charts, why Ronnie Wood or even Keith Richards do not have any single in top 75 in UK charts ever (could be top 100 as well, or charting at all, but my source just listed 75)? And even Mick has not managed to do better without dueting with a high-profile co-stars?

- Doxa

I wasn't bashing Bill ... I was bashing the song. It's not a good song, no matter how you look at it.

** Edit ... now if it was Bill bashing I wanted to do, i could have went on about his lack of talent when it comes to song writing or singing, but i left that out. As a Bass Player, I give him credit there!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-26 18:00 by LeonidP.

Date: August 26, 2022 18:13

Doxa
LeonidP
24FPS
LeonidP
Big Al

How this differ from any Ronnie, Keith or even Mick solo song (Jagger's duet with Bowie is a sort of cult classic the hipsters know these days). Or actually of any Stones song since "Start Me Up"?

- Doxa

So your argument that its a good song is by analyzing other songs?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 26, 2022 19:46

ribbelchips
If it hadn't been a wyman song, 99% of stones fans would probably have thought it was awefull. Because that's what it is smiling smiley I own Stone Alone and Monkey Grip and the latter has a few nice tunes, but the majority… My goodness…

i mean..

Ooooh I miss it so

Ooooh I miss it so

Ding dong bell
Pussy's in the well
Who put your pussy down?
Ding dong bell
Pussy's in the well
Who put your pussy down?

Cause now's the time
I need a little pussy

Ding dong bell
Pussy's in the well

confused smiley

So what I gather is that there's a magical well somewhere full of P......spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 26, 2022 20:00

The mornin' cocks are crowin',
an evil wind is blowin',
feel your juices flowin',
and you wonder where you're goin'.

You hear about a shootin',
and plan a different route in,
and you end up hidin',
though you're law abidin'.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: August 27, 2022 00:45

Doxa
LeonidP
24FPS
LeonidP
Big Al

- Doxa

Well said Doxa, well said indeed!!!!

Date: August 27, 2022 02:40

LeonidP
Doxa
LeonidP
Big Al

- Doxa

I wasn't bashing Bill ... I was bashing the song. It's not a good song, no matter how you look at it.

** Edit ... now if it was Bill bashing I wanted to do, i could have went on about his lack of talent when it comes to song writing or singing, but i left that out. As a Bass Player, I give him credit there!

You might like "Si Si" or not, or if I do or not, does not mean a shit. Your argument to belittle its success just sucks. That's all.

- Doxa

Date: August 27, 2022 03:03

LeonidP
Doxa
LeonidP
24FPS
LeonidP
Big Al

- Doxa

Nope. I just stated that the Wyman song is as a hardcore Stones fan item as any of those other songs by the artists I mentioned. What you think about it (is it good or not), or what I do, does not mean a shit. There is a difference between facts and opinions.

To make the point clear: That I think The Rolling Stones is the best band ever and I don't care a shit about the Beatles does not change the fact that the Beatles has always been much more popular and influental band than The Stones ever. Opinions and facts.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-27 03:23 by Doxa.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 27, 2022 04:22

Doxa
LeonidP
Doxa
LeonidP
24FPS
LeonidP
Big Al

- Doxa

Nope. I just stated that the Wyman song is as a hardcore Stones fan item as any of those other songs by the artists I mentioned. What you think about it (is it good or not), or what I do, does not mean a shit. There is a difference between facts and opinions.

To make the point clear: That I think The Rolling Stones is the best band ever and I don't care a shit about the Beatles does not change the fact that the Beatles has always been much more popular and influental band than The Stones ever. Opinions and facts.

- Doxa

Well in my opinion, that's a fact.

Date: August 27, 2022 07:59

Doxa
LeonidP
Doxa
LeonidP
Big Al

- Doxa

You might like "Si Si" or not, or if I do or not, does not mean a shit. Your argument to belittle its success just sucks. That's all.

- Doxa

In what way am i belittling its success? It's just not a great song, that's all I said (not that it needed to be said, just listen). I'd be happy for Bill if it sold millions!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 27, 2022 08:19

Ding dong bell
Pussy's in the well

i couldn't help but laugh when i got to that line grinning smiley

Date: August 29, 2022 21:31

Together with Charlie Bill made stones sound possible.

So...

From that point on Bill may play tango, flamenco, polka, opera....He did the important thing.

Date: January 18, 2023 16:29

This new Bill album hasn't materialized yet has it?

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: January 18, 2023 16:51

This is what he's been working on:
[www.amazon.de]

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 18, 2023 17:42

Bill is an amazing bassist and was part of rocks greatest rhythm section.But none of his solo music is great

Date: January 18, 2023 18:37

I actually enjoy a lot of the Rhythm Kings stuff.

Date: January 18, 2023 18:38

riccardo99
This is what he's been working on:
[www.amazon.de]

<The keyboard-player and also producer of Mark Knopfler Guy Fletcher revealed on one of the questions which readers him can ask that he is lately producing a new Bill Wyman album>

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: January 18, 2023 18:45

Hairball
Whatever one thinks of Bill's solo material, I'm just grateful he's still creating music.[/quote

Spot on, well said!!! Best post of the thread.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 18, 2023 19:01

Nice to see Bill putting out new music and not just going around playing old songs live.

Date: January 18, 2023 19:26

Hound Dog
Nice to see Bill putting out new music and not just going around playing old songs live.

I am afraid that that's the only option he has as far as doing something in music goes. His touring days seem to be over. Rhythm Kings haven't toured since 2014 and the random gigs they have done seemed to be without Bill.

- Doxa

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 18, 2023 21:33

In Another Land and Jumping Jack Flash as co-writer are the only songs I like.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 18, 2023 23:13

Taylor1
In Another Land and Jumping Jack Flash as co-writer are the only songs I like.

didn't he bang out the Paint It Black riff on the piano as well?

Date: January 18, 2023 23:22

ribbelchips

i mean..

Ooooh I miss it so

Ooooh I miss it so

Ding dong bell
Pussy's in the well
Who put your pussy down?
Ding dong bell
Pussy's in the well
Who put your pussy down?

Cause now's the time
I need a little pussy

Ding dong bell
Pussy's in the well

After reading Bill's "Stone alone" I think he just nailed it.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1749
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home