Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith's Two Songs
Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: November 26, 2005 04:32

Has Keith ALWAYS done the same two (or three) songs on tour over and over and over?
And what is it with him and "Slipping Away"? It seems he does that one all the time. Why not "Thief In the Night" or "Coming Down Again" if he wants to do a slow one? I love him but I surely do not understand him and his song selections.
On the DVD he talks about wanting to "take the babies for a walk" yet he's only done one of his two songs from the new album. Why not try "This Place Is Empty"?
Also....what happened to "It Won't Take Long"? Gone ALREADY? And "She Saw Me Coming" still hasn't been performed?

Re: Keith's Two Songs
Posted by: marston ()
Date: November 26, 2005 04:41

Read the info on the back of the Ladies and Gentlemen DVD. They did the same sets then, and they still do. Nothing's changed.

Greg

"thank you Jesus, thank you LORD!"

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: November 26, 2005 06:08

During Licks he did a variety of numbers, including:

Happy
Before They Make Me Run
Slipping Away
Thru and Thru
The Worst
You Don't Have To Mean It, and
The Nearness Of You

Date: November 26, 2005 06:33

In '98,if they played 2 shows in the same city,he would sing You Don't Have To Mean It & Wanna Hold You one night and Thief In The Night & Wanna Hold You on the other night.On many tours in that situation he would alternate Before They Make Me Run and Happy.In '97 he did All About You,in '95 he did Connection,on the '81/'82 tour he did T&A,on the '89/'90 tour he did Can't Be Seen,in '99 he did You Got The Silver and rotated a total of five songs.He also tried How Can I Stop in '98.That pretty much covers everything except for Sleep Tonight (probably not the best choice for an arena or stadium rock and roll concert), Losing My Touch (his worst lead vocal song in my opinion),Too Rude(performed in his solo concerts),This Place Is Empty,outtakes,and Coming Down Again.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 26, 2005 14:27

I have always wondered about how set lists are constructed and who is involved. I would think Keith picks his songs but perhaps he gets some help. Maybe he limits his selection just to keep things simple for the band & crew. I'm thinking Mick has the greater say in what is played (throughout the set) and how it is played with contribution from Charlie, Keith and perhaps Ronnie.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: November 27, 2005 00:33

I'd like to hear Infamy and You Don't Have To Mean It, but since one needs to be a ballad, I'd pick Thief In the Night instead of the other B2B song, though I really love You Don't Have To Mean It.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 27, 2005 01:12

I always forget Thru & Thru.
Something for Europe tu?

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: November 27, 2005 01:22

Keith might consider "Coming Down Again" and "Little T&A" as his two songs to perform while onstage. "Infamy" is weak as a live number, whilst "The Worst" and "Slipping Away" are getting boring.If he plays "Wanna Hold You" ever again live, I am going to commit hari-kiri.

As far as Keith's two songs on ABB, they could have been better. "This Place is Empty" is alright, but let's face it, "Infamy" is a turd and the lyrics are pretty weak. Where was his 1952 Telecaster in open G tuning during the songwriting process?

Come on Keith, shock me, show me.

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: November 27, 2005 08:24

i think keith should say 'screw the hits' and play the 2 new ones. Happy has seen it's day, let the 2 new ones shine.

Date: November 27, 2005 10:57

Jack Knife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has Keith ALWAYS done the same two (or three)
> songs on tour over and over and over?

In the early days before 1972 he didn't get the mike and that was ok since he cannot sing - or least Mick Jagger is so much better that Keith should definitely stay back. In 1972 he started to sing on "Happy" though live it was always performed by Mick and Keith together (that's why these versions are so good). For many years since 1972 Keith had only one number and I never saw the reason why he had to get two after 1989 since he can't sing much better than Ronnie Wood. The two numbers per concert must be part of the post-1989 "new Stones deal" (two Keith songs on albums, two Keith songs in concerts, no Ronnie credits, etc). In fact since the Stones began to play longer concerts Keith's numbers have always being placed in the middle of the gig so people could walk to the lavatory without missing anything essential. Also it gave hardworking Mick Jagger a break (he's getting older too).

In my opinion Keith is a good talkabilly in interviews but he should definitely stay away from the microphone and concentrate on rhythm guitar with the occasional backup singing (like in "Time is on my side" in 1981/82).

Date: November 27, 2005 19:41

Keith's performances in the 2 shows I have seen have not been good.

If he continues to play Slipping Away like he did in Vegas, he would be better off bringing back The Worst. (I've always liked Slipping Away, however it was horrible in Las Vegas.)

Infamy does nothing for me. Would like to see This Place is Empty in its place.

C'mon Keith, you can do much better than what I have seen thus far.

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: November 27, 2005 20:31

Splattered, All Over Manhattan Wrote:
If he continues to play Slipping Away like he did in Vegas, he would be better off bringing back The Worst. (I've always liked Slipping Away, however it was horrible in Las Vegas.)

Interesting you mention "Slipping Away". I tend to agree but his version in Denver was truly inspiring and one of my favorite songs from the entire show. I guess you never can tell...

Posted by: atip ()
Date: November 27, 2005 21:01

Keith's numbers are there to give Mick a break, and give the fans an easy decision when to go to the loo. As for me, I'd just as well hear Happy and You Got the Silver. Infamy was OK the 1st few times, but The Worst sux.

Date: November 28, 2005 03:06

Bridges To Babylon had three Richards lead vocal songs,Rarities has one.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: November 28, 2005 03:26

ive seen 4 shows this tour & keith did the same 2 songs every time & i loved them all , in hershey i thought he was flawless

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-28 04:35 by chippy.

Date: November 28, 2005 04:24

Let's not forget this year's Charlottesville concert.If there were any real binding contract,Richards would have sung at least one song after Midnight Rambler or Paint It,Black unless there was a provision for unexpected bomb threats.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: November 28, 2005 05:29

Jokingly I ask, maybe the bomb threat was to get him to stop playing Infamy?

So many folks don't seem to like it (I thought it was fine live).

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: November 28, 2005 07:23

Chuck wrote in his journal that Keith agreed to give up his spot and that it was very professional of him.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: November 28, 2005 14:17

Keith seems like the kind of person who wants to play the new songs at first. Also he has his two faves" Happy and Slipping Away. Don't know why he won't do Coming Down and Little Tand A. Thank God he never did Losing my Touch. What a terrible song..

Posted by: LE PAUL JAGGER ()
Date: November 28, 2005 14:21

losing my touch : great song

Date: November 28, 2005 16:55

LE PAUL JAGGER Wrote:
> losing my touch : great song

Ouch... Keith is full of surprises! I thought "Losing my touch" was one of the five worst Stones tunes ever and surely Keith's all-time low. But little did I know he still had "Infamy" in the pan. Now I know Keith has at least one great song! I thank you so very much for telling me.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 28, 2005 21:15

FUC: How many times have you heard Infamy live on this tour?

Posted by: hotlips ()
Date: November 28, 2005 21:24

Make no mistake is the best richards-song ever, it's a pity it isn't an option for keith during this ABB-tour. However it would be very nice if he started to play This place is empty very soon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2098
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home