Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT : Liam Gallagher leaves the stage in a french festival after 20 minutes
Posted by: Papo ()
Date: July 10, 2022 10:06

Catching laryngitis is bad for any singer, of course. But instead of just walking off stage he could have said something at least. I have been to a show were the singer's voice broke after a few songs and it was explained to the audience and everybody was fine with it.

But to walk off like that? Unprofessional behaviour.

I saw Oasis in the 90s and Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds two or three times in 2017 opening for U2. Liked Oasis version of "I am the Walrus" a lot back then in the 1990s, but generally Osis didn't click with me, altough the show back then was good.

Regarding Noel Gallagher, I think he is a fine musician, great composer and a good singer, too. Liked those shows as opening act a lot and might go again if they are playing on their own close by. They would also be nice at BST.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 10, 2022 11:27

dcba
yeababyyea
He has done this at least 4 times before for various reasons, it's becoming a habit. It's some kind of issue with his ego

The word "habit" is well-chosen.I betcha he couldn't wait to go back to his loge or his hotel and get his nose stuffed so he cancelled that annoying event called "a concert".
If you read interviews by pro musicians, guys who've been pros for 2 or 3 decades you notice some of them admit that - after all these years - the gig is less important than the post-gig party.

"Liam has been diagnosed with laryngitis and has had to cancel a bunch of shows"
Laryngitis? Or too much blow?

Liam looks very healthy for his age, i doubt he does much blow these days.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: July 10, 2022 12:43

Was there more said on the night than in the clip? Guy can't help it if he really is ill, but I don't understand why he wouldn't explain and apologise to the audience rather than just storm off. Oasis were always cancelling shows, or Liam not turning up, back even in their heyday. Punch ups, hungover or high or just didn't feel like it.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: July 10, 2022 13:13

When Oasis visited my hometown in 1996, Liam didn’t show up at the gig and stayed in the hotel – supposedly because he had argued with Noel. This has happened several times and it’s just unprofessionalism. Imagine if Mick or Keith had refused to play because they had argued! If Liam has been diagnosed with laryngitis: why didn’t he just tell the audience that he’s not feeling well and apologize, instead of walking away in that manner without an explanation or apology? And leaving the band on stage like that smells of disloyalty. When I finally did see Oasis with Liam, I thought it was quite easy to see thru his wannabe hard-man mannerisms. I always felt Liam was a poser, an imposter, an actor, a fake – so I totally get Lanegan’s descriptions of him.

Say what you want about Mark Lanegan, but he is the real deal. Yes, he’s had his stupid moments, such as when he destroyed all the equipment on the Roskilde stage in 1993. But even that was a ‘real’ moment of madness. I don’t think anyone in the business has had more inner demons to cope with than him. In contrast to Liam Gallagher, Lanegan had a real tough background. He didn’t need to pretend that he was tough, he just was. He lived a tragic life filled with bullying, poverty, violence, abuse, and addiction. This made him hard as nails. It’s a wonder he made it to 57. He became an addict at the age of 12, shooting heroin as a teenager and was a homeless for big parts of his life. He turned into a street smart, bad ass survivor. When Liam Gallagher chose to pick on him, bully him and THREATEN him – he picked the wrong guy to mess with, and Liam flew back home to England to escape Lanegan’s confrontation (leaving Oasis without their vocalist yet again for the final gig in Miami on their first US tour).

Maybe Mark Lanegan is not that well known in the UK, but he’s one of the greatest singers in the business for the last 30 years. Not just counting the work with Screaming Trees and Queens of the Stone Age. What he did with Isobel Campbell is pure brilliance. Most of his solo albums are great. A voice that sends shivers down your spine. Dark, honest, genuine.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: July 10, 2022 13:36

I'm so glad this clown did not get to guest with the Stones at London Stadium 1 in 2018. Might have had something to do with him threatening to punch out Keith in the 1990's/2000's. That was really big of him. The bloke is a moron.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: July 10, 2022 14:11

Big Al
I attended Oasis’ final U.K. show at Wembley Stadium: beer, cocaine and sheer madness. Utterly wasted and mad for it.

Second-hand embarrassment reading that. Reads like satire.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 10, 2022 14:13

Bastion
Big Al
I attended Oasis’ final U.K. show at Wembley Stadium: beer, cocaine and sheer madness. Utterly wasted and mad for it.

You tend to come across somewhat like a Liam type yourself especially when you tell us we don't have a clue where the music scene is at

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: July 10, 2022 14:15

The Worst.
Maybe Mark Lanegan is not that well known in the UK, but he’s one of the greatest singers in the business for the last 30 years. Not just counting the work with Screaming Trees and Queens of the Stone Age. What he did with Isobel Campbell is pure brilliance. Most of his solo albums are great. A voice that sends shivers down your spine. Dark, honest, genuine.

Don’t take one guy’s word for it - I’d say anyone with a slightly vague interest in music will know who Mark Lanegan is.

I just finished reading ‘sing backwards and weep’ a few weeks ago, was a brilliant book.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 10, 2022 14:24

lem motlow
I worked with a guy who told me his father saw the Doors once, well sort of.
They introduced them “ Ladies and Gentlemen from Los Angeles California-The Doors!!!

The band began playing, Morrison staggered out from backstage kept walking until he went off the end of the stage and crash landed into the orchestra pit. That was it, shows over.

After a good laugh visualizing that I told him” I have to be honest,I would’ve paid $500 dollars to see that.

There is no record of this happening, Your mate lied. Morrison did fall into an orchestra pit once, but the gig continued.

[mildequator.com]

The ultimate live Doors resource.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-10 15:00 by Paddy.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: July 10, 2022 14:29

Bastion
The Worst.

Don’t take one guy’s word for it - I’d say anyone with a slightly vague interest in music will know who Mark Lanegan is.

I just finished reading ‘sing backwards and weep’ a few weeks ago, was a brilliant book.

Weird that I mentioned Lanegan on this thread first due to his unique voice not knowing he and Liam had issues. Either way, yes, Liam is as weak as it gets. No integrity. Just a full-grown baby.

Date: July 10, 2022 14:31

he may be a brat, but he is a more than fine singer. It is full of personality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-11 02:53 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 10, 2022 15:48

Big Al
I attended Oasis’ final U.K. show at Wembley Stadium: beer, cocaine and sheer madness. Utterly wasted and mad for it. Liam and Oasis weren’t too bad, either. Cheers thumbs up

I was there too and that wasn’t my experience of the occasion at all, though it certainly was when I previously saw them at the old Wembley in 2000, shortly before they knocked it down.

That show was on Sunday 12th July 2009. I thought the band gave a very decent and surprisingly professional performance that night, though there was zero interaction between the Gallaghers on stage. Liam’s swearing was surprisingly minimal. We got a full 22 song setlist and I enjoyed the show much more than the one I saw 9 years earlier, which was an absolute car crash with Liam in no fit state to perform and Noel showing commendable restraint. That 2000 show was broadcast on Sky with a one hour delay and a lot of editing.

As we all now know there were tensions behind the scenes (in 2009) and the band broke up for good 6 weeks later when Liam destroyed Noel’s favourite guitar shortly before they were due on stage in France. Noel left the band immediately and they later continued with the same lineup minus Noel but renamed ‘Beady Eye’.

Liam’s voice certainly suited Oasis material in their day but his fame was entirely reliant on his brother’s talents and had the stars not aligned for him it’s hard to imagine him ever being anything more than an unemployable career petty criminal in Manchester, in and out of prison for nicking car stereos etc, something Noel has openly claimed they did pre fame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-10 15:54 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: July 10, 2022 16:34

Liam Gallagher is the last rock star. He gave no @#$%& and never pandered to the audience or to the press. He too had a rough upbringing but didn't choose to coward it away with heroin. He has a very English/Irish sense of humor that Lanegan and Neil Young probably just didn't understand and took it as slagging them off. His voice and swagger and stage presence are unique and they made the 90's an epic time for many. Obviously many here do not know anything about him or Oasis I submit you watch the documentary SUPERSONIC I guarantee it will change your perception.

Date: July 10, 2022 16:45

quietbeatle
Liam Gallagher is the last rock star. He gave no @#$%& and never pandered to the audience or to the press. He too had a rough upbringing but didn't choose to coward it away with heroin. He has a very English/Irish sense of humor that Lanegan and Neil Young probably just didn't understand and took it as slagging them off. His voice and swagger and stage presence are unique and they made the 90's an epic time for many. Obviously many here do not know anything about him or Oasis I submit you watch the documentary SUPERSONIC I guarantee it will change your perception.

Nah. Some people just suck as human beings, and Liam is one of them. Many despicable people have talents, that doesn’t make them any less disgusting. He has coward written all over him. These 90’s singers impacted me (Liam is nowhere near these guys, for me): Cornell, Staley, Vedder, Cobain, Keenan, Farrell, Yorke, Corgan, Kiedis, Hoon…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-10 16:55 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: July 10, 2022 18:22

All I can say is whenever Mick experienced voice problems due to laryngitis during a show, he did the full show anyways. Look at Nuremberg 1998 where he started struggling in the first half of the set and performed the full 2 hour show or in 2014 when his voice broke during Out Of Control. You don't have to do it like Liam, you can be professional. Or at least say a word to the hundrets of people who paid for the gig and made it there and were waiting for him playing a full set, not 20 mins.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 10, 2022 18:26

quietbeatle

Agree completely. Liam kept rock n roll on the map simply with his voice at a time when rock n roll needed help. His solo albums have become more interesting than Noel’s now…

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: July 10, 2022 19:04

Liam is just full of himself. And funny some rate him as a good singer. Noel on the other hand was the brain and heart of Oasis, and the one with musical talent. Also his solo work blows Liam far and wide.

Date: July 10, 2022 19:04

Munichhilton
quietbeatle

Agree completely. Liam kept rock n roll on the map simply with his voice at a time when rock n roll needed help. His solo albums have become more interesting than Noel’s now…

Kept rock on the map? When exactly was that? Sure wasn’t the early to mid 90’s. He was annihilated by numerous singers/vocalists during that time. Oasis is right there with Blur, but they aren’t on the level of Radiohead, Tool, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains…

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 10, 2022 19:57

NashvilleBlues
Munichhilton
quietbeatle

Kept rock on the map? When exactly was that? Sure wasn’t the early to mid 90’s. He was annihilated by numerous singers/vocalists during that time. Oasis is right there with Blur, but they aren’t on the level of Radiohead, Tool, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains…

Depends where you are. In the UK and Europe, Oasis were huge around 1995-98 and far bigger than all of those other acts you mention.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-10 19:59 by grzegorz67.

Date: July 10, 2022 20:14

grzegorz67

Depends where you are. In the UK and Europe, Oasis were huge around 1995-98 and far bigger than all of those other acts you mention.

Of course you’re right about the regional issue. And, most of those I listed peaked by 1996. I know it can be considered a matter of taste, but it’s almost undeniable that Thom Yorke, Maynard James Keenan, and Chris Cornell (and probably Layne Staley) are/were all superior singers/vocalists compared to Liam. He wasn’t keeping rock alive for me. He was ruining it. Haha!

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: July 10, 2022 20:29

Liam's sneering voice and charisma are vital to Oasis breaking into the bigtime. Nowdays he is more of a boring adult, but still sounds sneering.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 10, 2022 23:27

Liam suffers from Hashimoto's disease where loss of voice is one of many characteristics. It's got nothoing to do with ego, I've met him numerous times and he is brilliant towards fans and ordinary people. The lad just don't like paparazzis!!!

Date: July 10, 2022 23:32

Bastion
Big Al

You must lead a very boring life pal, go and listen to some boring radiohead and let us take care of the Rock n Roll stuff.

Date: July 10, 2022 23:38

NashvilleBlues
quietbeatle

Nah. Some people just suck as human beings, and Liam is one of them. Many despicable people have talents, that doesn’t make them any less disgusting. He has coward written all over him. These 90’s singers impacted me (Liam is nowhere near these guys, for me): Cornell, Staley, Vedder, Cobain, Keenan, Farrell, Yorke, Corgan, Kiedis, Hoon…

For someone calling himself NashvilleBlues you surprisingly haven't got a clue. I saw Oasis at the Ryman in 2006 and while it wasnae as good as Cincinnati or Houston the same week it certainly was an honour seeing the lads in that holy place. Liam and Oasis are made of the same stuff as the big ones who recorded in Nashville; Hank, Waylon, Bob and Johnny C and Johnny P and George among others but miserable pearl jam and miserable radiohead belong in the trash. Boring bands who offer nothing in terms of ROCK N ROLL.

Date: July 10, 2022 23:45

Big Al
The Worst.
"The tour was fraught with tension, mainly between myself and Oasis’s ignorant, loud-mouthed, and obnoxious lead singer, Liam Gallagher. This clown had accidentally stumbled into the high life, courtesy of his talented older brother, Noel Gallagher. The limelight of popularity Liam basked in had evidently uncaged a monster, one without teeth or claws, but a small, irritating monster nonetheless. Success looked to have unleashed his inherent narcissism, his look-at-me-ism, his transparent deep-rooted insecurity. I couldn’t believe someone hadn’t beaten, knifed, or shot him to death by now, such was the reckless, witless, and despotic nature of his insufferable facade. Where I was from, a person wouldn’t last a week behaving as he did. I had never encountered anyone with a larger head or tinier balls. Liam Gallagher was an obvious poser, a would-be playground bully. Like all bullies, he was also a total pussy. Always with the big @#$%& mouth as long as he was safely wrapped in the wet-nurse security blanket of the company of the two tall, rotund dudes paid to protect him, and, I assumed, suffer his endless stream of bullshit. This arrogant, spoiled, wounded baby Gallagher was so full of himself that I could not put anything past him. He was so rude to Neil (Young) I wanted to punch him out. It was one thing to be a prick to me, but how dare that son of a bitch be rude to Neil? This made my hatred grow to epic proportions and gave me all the more reason and resolve to kick Liam’s @#$%& ass."

A little excerpt from the whole chapter devoted to Liam Gallagher in Mark Lanegan's memoirs.

Mark Lanegan? I’m aware of him, but he’s somewhat unknown in the U.K. Liam and Oasis were household names in the U.K. during the 90’s. Their personality and music are part of my childhood. Great memories. I attended Oasis’ final U.K. show at Wembley Stadium: beer, cocaine and sheer madness. Utterly wasted and mad for it. Liam and Oasis weren’t too bad, either. Cheers thumbs up

I had a similar experience at Oasis in 95, they were supporting REM. I don’t have a lot of memories of REM, by the time they came on it was good times.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 11, 2022 02:19

As depicted in the Supersonic documentary, Oasis’ popularity in Japan was huge. They toured there eleven times 1994-2009, including headlining appearances at the Fuji Rock Festival 2001 and 2009 (the latter their last ever show in Japan) as well as the Summer Sonic festival 2005.

I enjoyed the shows, admittedly — saw them nine times between 1994 and 2009, including their first and last Osaka shows, the former at the Club Quattro (capacity: 650) and the latter the INTEX Osaka (capacity: 13,000).

On the other hand, I can’t get over the idea that they became popular because they filled the void that there was, the megastars that didn’t exist then and the general public wanted, rather than solely by their musical talent or performance prowess. In terms of these points, claiming that they rival a string of the great British musicians who preceded them, namely The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Kinks, Cream, The Jimi Hendrix Experience (Jimi was American but the Experience was an English group formed in London), Led Zeppelin, Queen et al, is absurd to me.

Liam Gallagher — and to some degree, Axl Rose — is a rock star who came late, when debaucheries and excesses attached to them have long become clichés and self-parodies.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 11, 2022 02:48

NashvilleBlues
Munichhilton
quietbeatle

One of the main reasons I loved Oasis and their first two albums was because they were opposite of the depressing sludgy grunge scene who were always groaning, droning, and moaning.
Radiohead and their weird and whiny singer have always been terrible imo, though Creep was a decent tune I suppose mainly because it fit the weird and whiny singer perfectly.
I did like Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, and Nirvana (not so much Pearl Jam or Tool), but Oasis dusted them all aside and in to the bin bringing back well written happy-go-lucky loud and fun rock and roll.
Blur were also great albeit maybe a bit more esoteric and eccentric for the masses (in the US), but in hindsight they were much more creative and skilled than Oasis - I still listen to all of their albums to this day.
On the other hand, I only listen to Oasis's first two albums sporadically, whereas everything after those first two fall short and I never listen to them at all. No denying they were huge in the beginning though.
As Munichhilton said above, Oasis and Liam kept rock n roll on the map simply with his voice at a time when rock n roll needed help resulting in the death of the miserable grunge scene.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 11, 2022 04:26

Last saw Liam in late 2019 when he opened for The Who in Vancouver. Decent performance, was complimentary to the crowd. Obviously he's mellowed over the years and is now married.
A great,funny interview on Youtube from 2 years ago is from Vogue magazine 73 questions.

Date: July 11, 2022 04:44

DGA35
Last saw Liam in late 2019 when he opened for The Who in Vancouver. Decent performance, was complimentary to the crowd. Obviously he's mellowed over the years and is now married.
A great,funny interview on Youtube from 2 years ago is from Vogue magazine 73 questions.

I was at this and thought he sounded great. I’d saw him earlier that year or the year before supporting the Stones. I hadn’t seen him since 1997 and his voice has held up well given the lifestyle.

Liam is authentically Liam. What you see is what you get, a lad from a council estate who likes music, alcohol, drugs and women. He’s found a humility in his solo career he hadn’t had with Oasis. He’s always been great with fans, not so much press or paparazzi but fair enough.

Date: July 11, 2022 05:01

RisingStone
As depicted in the Supersonic documentary, Oasis’ popularity in Japan was huge. They toured there eleven times 1994-2009, including headlining appearances at the Fuji Rock Festival 2001 and 2009 (the latter their last ever show in Japan) as well as the Summer Sonic festival 2005.

I enjoyed the shows, admittedly — saw them nine times between 1994 and 2009, including their first and last Osaka shows, the former at the Club Quattro (capacity: 650) and the latter the INTEX Osaka (capacity: 13,000).

On the other hand, I can’t get over the idea that they became popular because they filled the void that there was, the megastars that didn’t exist then and the general public wanted, rather than solely by their musical talent or performance prowess. In terms of these points, claiming that they rival a string of the great British musicians who preceded them, namely The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Kinks, Cream, The Jimi Hendrix Experience (Jimi was American but the Experience was an English group formed in London), Led Zeppelin, Queen et al, is absurd to me.

Liam Gallagher — and to some degree, Axl Rose — is a rock star who came late, when debaucheries and excesses attached to them have long become clichés and self-parodies.

I see Nirvana and Oasis having similar births. Both came along at a time when a lot of previous things allowed them to happen. Nirvana came from a strong regional scene in Seattle with independent labels a scene that had been years in the making. Oasis were the same, British indie music had been building for 10-12 years before Oasis hit, a lot of independent labels, strong regional scene in Manchester. Factory and all that scene.

Once Kurt killed himself there was definitely a void left and Oasis were the perfect band and at the perfect time to fill the void. British Indie and Grunge had both gotten shoe gazey by that point. Oasis were fun and about soundtracking a good time, as was most British music in the years 94-96. The real 60s connection was songs that your mum could hun were in the charts again.

It might not be popular and probably will get deleted but drugs played a big part in the 90s. Ecstasy brought about a second wave of 60s vibes. There was a good time feeling in the air. Heroin had dominated music for the years previous and Oasis and a lot of other British artists brought it all back to normality. Cigarettes and Alcohol, you might as well do the white line, Live Forever. It was mostly positive and about having a good time. Not the darkness of Heroin. It was a bit of a Hippy Period for a few years.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1563
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home