Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dylan- 3 live debuts in London tonight! Clash cover!!(NSC)
Posted by: poor immigrant ()
Date: November 22, 2005 02:07

At his London show tonight, the second of 5 I think, he debuted MILLION DOLLAR BASH from the BASEMENT TAPES, not as big a gap in time as AS TEARS GO BY, but still pretty cool. He also debuted WAITING FOR YOU, a soundtrack only song from a few years ago, and played a rocking abbreviated version of LONDON CALLING in the encore. How cool is that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-22 02:08 by poor immigrant.

Re: Dylan- 3 live debuts in London tonight! Clash cover!!(NSC)
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: November 22, 2005 05:07

Wow, I am not that big of a Dylan fan but would love to hear him do Million Dollar Bash and especially London Calling. Dylan covers the Clash, how @#$%& cool is that!

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: November 22, 2005 18:18

Million Dollar Bash has been done before at MSG in NYC back in 2002. He did "Something" the other night of that MSG string of dates. "Waiting for you": I can't remember that one at all. Was that from "Natural born killers" soundtrack? The "London Calling" sounds way too cool.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 22, 2005 18:24

it wasn't Million Dollar Bash in '02 - it was "Yea, Heavy and a Bottle of Bread."

And "Waiting for You" is from the Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" soundtrack.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-22 18:25 by T&A.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: November 22, 2005 21:11

Charles, did Dylan have anything in the NBK soundtrack at all? That was a very good soundtrack; LOVED the way the music was used. The opening sequence with the credits; the snake in b&w etc. Then later on R&R Nigger is also great.
Speaking of soundtracks I just today received my special ordered CD of the soundtrack of "Talk To Her" by Almodovar. It contains the beautiful rendition of
"Cuccurruccu". Man, that is like a tearjerker...

Date: November 22, 2005 21:14

in NBK - Dylan does a cover of the old chestnut "You Belong to Me" - the song was recorded during the "Good As I Been to You" solo sessions.

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: November 22, 2005 21:58

Thanks T&A! I got the two Dylan tracks confused. "London Calling" must be a first however. Chelseadrugstore, that movie "Talk to her" was terrific. The music for his film "La mala educacion" or "Bad education" also was pretty good. I think it could be enjoyed on its own like the majority of Morricone's scores.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: November 22, 2005 22:33

That man is GOD!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 23, 2005 02:30

I was at the first two London shows and they were incredible

both shows opened with a few bars of the late link wray's classic "Rumble"

Aside from that, of the 16 full length songs he played the first night, he only repeated FOUR the following night - and he threw in the first verse and chorus of London calling too

(tonights shows featured another 8 or 9 songs that werent played at EITHER of the first two nights. I think only about 2 songs were played at all 3 shows so far..now THATS mixing it up! And I dont think anyone complained at a few 'standards' being left out..)

I didnt realise that was the live debut for Million Dollar Bash..is that right? Incredible to get three live debuts in the one show. It was actually one of the best live versions I've heard of ANY song - ever. Breathtaking.

Posted by: rayone ()
Date: November 23, 2005 06:34

Dylan is the master of mixing things up. The Basement Tapes songs seem to get excellent treatment when he brings them out.

Date: November 23, 2005 10:01

Dylan has finished 3 nights out of 5 in London and so far has played 39 different songs, out of 53 performances. Pretty good.

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: November 23, 2005 13:23

Dylan rules

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: November 23, 2005 15:07

oh my god i love that man!

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: November 23, 2005 17:26

If the Stones did what Dylan does their legacy would be even greater. I really wish the Stones would take a page from Dylan's book and show their fans that they care instead of releases horrible live albums with bad edits and the same songs and rarities sets that are full of the wrong info and looks like it was thrown together by someone making a mix at home. Dylan is the man...

Date: November 23, 2005 17:51

Gazza - Dylan's doing on 4 same songs on back-to-back nights is nothing unusual. I'd wager a bet that "4" is a relatively large number for back-to-backers, in fact. But, still it was a positive sign that he's infused a new couple of numbers into the set/rotatation - it's been a few years since he's done that. Waiting for You is a definite hidden gem and a real surprise for the setlist (did it last nite, too).

Date: November 23, 2005 20:37

you'll be also happy to hear that he has cut down on the 'upsinging' somewhat!

Its still there, but not as prevalent as earlier in the year

Date: November 23, 2005 20:47

Yeah, less upsinging is good. The wolfman voice doesn't bug me at all. I love it. Yes, the STONES could/should take a page from Bob's way. He can do anything he wants and it seems to work. The STONES try so hard to be hip and cool and it always backfires. I remember when TIME OUT OF MIND came out and BRIDGES TO BABYLON at the same time and an interviewer asked Keith about Bob and Keith said he'd probably check out Bob's record and something about Bob just marking time for the last few years, but at least he's still out there. Also the quote after LIVE AID, Keith about Bob "I'd play with that @#$%& anytime!"

Date: November 23, 2005 21:32

J-J-Flash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If the Stones did what Dylan does their legacy
> would be even greater.

thats exactly what I've insisted for years.

Their music is great enough (like Bob) to speak for itself and obviously regardless of what they play, theyre still a terrific live act.

Unfortunately for their legacy, what primarily motivates them is different.

The potential for what the Stones could achieve creatively as a live band even at this stage of their career is actually frightening. Look at that catalogue of songs they have. How many other living artists can complete with that? If you counted the number on your fingers you'd still have enough left afterwards to make an obscene gesture at their critics

They're still an excellent live act and its great that theyre still around, but at this stage they should be reinventing their performance art (like most great artists do) instead of playing it safe.

Date: November 23, 2005 23:01

you go Gazza! haven't heard you whine enough lately. very refreshing!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home