Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stones and physical aging
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 26, 2022 14:48

Yeah I'd say Keef is definitely aging and losing hair, and growing more aware of it, which is why - IMHO - he wears hats at every show now. He also sports a little belly these days - perhaps a result of COVID, but still it's there, and he seems to have grown into it. To say they've been immune, with their various cancer battles and heart conditions, is not an accurate statement. Aside from his coconut tree fall, Keef has actually been rather healthy, and that in and of itself is rather surprising considering the life led vs. the others.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 26, 2022 16:19

Has Mick slowed down after his heart surgery? Or is he still performing like he did in like 2017?

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: April 26, 2022 16:43

I´d say the most peculiar thing is that they all seem to have some hearing left.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 26, 2022 22:07

VoodooLounge13
Yeah I'd say Keef is definitely aging and losing hair, and growing more aware of it, which is why - IMHO - he wears hats at every show now. He also sports a little belly these days - perhaps a result of COVID, but still it's there, and he seems to have grown into it. To say they've been immune, with their various cancer battles and heart conditions, is not an accurate statement. Aside from his coconut tree fall, Keef has actually been rather healthy, and that in and of itself is rather surprising considering the life led vs. the others.

Keith appeared quite feeble at times on the recent US tour having to sit more so than on past tours, and his strength, stamina, and energy seemed to noticeably decline as the tour hit the half way point and winded down.
And then there's his lack of concentration and focus where his mind seemed to drift somewhere else, along with his inability to play the guitar properly - partially due to his arthritic fingers I'd assume.
I worried about him a bit, but for the most part he seems to have adapted to his handicaps well enough to make it to the finish line. The recent Winos performance showed he still has gas in the tank,
but not sure how far that fuel will get him during the upcoming 14 city mini-tour of two hour long Stones shows with 18 or 19 song setlists. Gotta hope for the best, and hope they all keep on rolling...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 26, 2022 22:23

Since they've gone back to being the occasional singles band again, maybe they'll go back to shorter sets, like in their youth.

One of the things that has helped is they've usually been quite thin for their heights. Charlie was the same way. That creates less stress on the body. They all quit smoking, though Ronnie and Keith will always bear the results of their long standing habits.

Mick is in shape because he never gets out of shape. Have you ever seen a picture of Mick overweight? Or have a belly? It started with his dad as a physical education instructor. Diseases and physical problems have not evaded them. They took Charlie, and nearly took Ronnie a couple times. Even Mick had the heart issue.

Remember how jarring Mick Taylor looked to be up there with them a decade back? Bill looked noticeably older, but Mick Taylor looked swollen and fat, hardly recognizable from the waif like figure he cut as a Rolling Stone.

Many of us are growing old. We have all the physical problems. But you can have laser surgery, or lenses for cataracts that create great vision that then still requires reading glasses. Many of us have been through a bout of cancer. Horrible as it is, it's quite common. (Which shows how primitive treatment still is).

We don't know how spry they are off stage. Musicians can sometimes shake off their physical limitations once they get in front of an audience. I've witnessed with a well known musician in Los Angeles in his nineties. He was arthritic and hunched over until show time. Then, the magic.

Date: April 26, 2022 22:24

ribbelchips
illyad1960
With the exception of the wrinkles, why doesn't Keith, Mick or Ronnie exhibit any other effects of aging?

Keith obviously has some form of arthritis in his fingers. They're swollen and are the main reason he can't really play solo's anymore. He also has a beer belly and as stated above, is nearly bald. Singing and playing guitar simultaniously seems hard too nowadys..

Mick likely dyes his hair, but it looks kinda natural. When Keith still dyed his, it really showed. Especially in combination with the eyeliner and moustache. Mick's condition is great for a 78 year old. But of course he does workouts every day to stay in shape.

I'm so glad the boys didn't start to take fillers/botox like John Travolta or Dolly Parton... eye popping smiley

There was talk of Keith using fillers/botox, but probably not to the same degree as John Travolta or Dolly Parton who look like they've actually had surgical enhancements like Kenny Rogers and Kenny Loggins.
Keith looked much older back in 2015 than he does now - almost like a leathery Willie Nelson, but the last few years much of the wrinkling has dissipated especially around his eyes. Quitting cigarettes might have helped.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 27, 2022 01:02

Hairball
ribbelchips
illyad1960
With the exception of the wrinkles, why doesn't Keith, Mick or Ronnie exhibit any other effects of aging?

Keith obviously has some form of arthritis in his fingers. They're swollen and are the main reason he can't really play solo's anymore. He also has a beer belly and as stated above, is nearly bald. Singing and playing guitar simultaniously seems hard too nowadys..

Mick likely dyes his hair, but it looks kinda natural. When Keith still dyed his, it really showed. Especially in combination with the eyeliner and moustache. Mick's condition is great for a 78 year old. But of course he does workouts every day to stay in shape.

I'm so glad the boys didn't start to take fillers/botox like John Travolta or Dolly Parton... eye popping smiley

There was talk of Keith using fillers/botox, but probably not to the same degree as John Travolta or Dolly Parton who look like they've actually had surgical enhancements like Kenny Rogers and Kenny Loggins.
Keith looked much older back in 2015 than he does now - almost like a leathery Willie Nelson, but the last few years much of the wrinkling has dissipated especially around his eyes. Quitting cigarettes might have helped.

Don't think quitting cigarettes will reverse skin damage. Weight gain will stretch out your skin, or surgery etc as opined.

But again, who cares, they are almost 80, what do we expect?

Date: April 27, 2022 01:21

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 29, 2022 07:17

thumbs up>grinning smiley<

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: April 29, 2022 19:48

Hairball

forgot that a healthy diet and lots of exercise would help smooth out those wrinkles too!

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: April 29, 2022 20:32

I find it amazing that they can still perform at such a high level as they can considering their age and the chemical abuse they put their bodies through most of their lives.

Based on the shows I have seen this century I would have to say Keef seems to be the one starting to show his age. His playing gets more ragged with each tour and as others have said he seems less energetic this past tour. He still has moments of brilliance but they seem to be getting less often now.

At least they defied this image from a 1995 episode of the Simpsons.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-29 20:35 by oldschool.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 30, 2022 13:08

Hairball

Might as well get juiced.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 2, 2022 09:26

Like most of super-thin people, Mick's face shows much ageing. There is just no fat to hold it up. I think he should have had subtle cosmetic tweaks from the age of 40. You can't say he doesn't care. I've read he knows everything about skincare and was panicked that he'd be bald like his father. Obviously he's been dyeing his hair for a long time.

Interesting side note - Charlie was considered the most handsome man of his generation in Britain.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 2, 2022 12:37

Isn't their abilities as musicians the most important thing? Or is it just looks like many here seems to think? Or is a half bald Jagger an impossible thought?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 2, 2022 12:58

Bliss
Like most of super-thin people, Mick's face shows much ageing. There is just no fat to hold it up. I think he should have had subtle cosmetic tweaks from the age of 40. You can't say he doesn't care. I've read he knows everything about skincare and was panicked that he'd be bald like his father. Obviously he's been dyeing his hair for a long time.

Interesting side note - Charlie was considered the most handsome man of his generation in Britain.

Charlie? By who?? I know he was considered to be dapper by some, but...

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 2, 2022 14:11

You call all learn from Mick as far as vigorous exercise goes. He used to do a lot of running to stay in top shape. You never hear about this anymore. My guess is he does pilates and yoga to stay in top condition these days. Perhaps chi gong and tai-chi too. Probably some weight lifting. He likes to take anonymous walks while on tour.

When you are younger, you can eat more and stuff your face, and process out more calories via aerobic exercise and by life itself. This diminishes as you get past 55-60. My opinion is you decrease your life expectancy by doing marathons, half-marathons and iron mans past 55-60.

Mick, Keith and Ronnie were all born with solid constitutions. So this helps a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-02 14:12 by triceratops.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 2, 2022 14:18

Bliss

For sure Mick went ultra-low fat diet for far too long. I think he has been on a mostly vegan diet for years. IOW veggies plus some fish and chicken. You are correct about seeing this in his face. Though the very positive flip side, is that his arteries must be clean as a whistle.

So says your insta-Doc, Dr. Triceratops......

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-02 14:20 by triceratops.

Posted by: Ruediger ()
Date: May 2, 2022 15:15

[www.instagram.com]

Here we can see a recent taken picture of the loving couple without any makeup - Patti still looking beautiful, even though she is also nearing 70.thumbs up

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 3, 2022 06:25

Mick undoubtedly follows a dietary and fitness regime. His adherence to it is why he’s able to do what he does on stage. I’m sure he controls his calorie intake and monitors what he burns. Actually, it’s be interesting to know what two hours in stage does for his total daily expenditure.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: May 3, 2022 08:21

Sleeping upside down adds 10 years to your life, so Keef told Del Preston.

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 3, 2022 08:47

I'm sure Mick follows a specific diet for stamina and health, but he has said he can eat anything he likes without risk of gaining weight.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 3, 2022 10:34

Bliss
I'm sure Mick follows a specific diet for stamina and health, but he has said he can eat anything he likes without risk of gaining weight.
Yes I read that too but it's definitely connected. I have also been training my whole life, still do and can also eat pretty much anything without gaining weight. It shows up a little in the belly nowadays if I overdo it but that's easy to get flat again. Guess it has to do with quite a high metabolic rate. But I guess genetics also do play a role.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 3, 2022 23:08

here's a thread about an article on micks personal chef from 2019
iorr

good look into micks current diet

here's a bit from the article

The young boss has carte blanche on the recipes as on the budget. Only constraint: the kitchen should not be repetitive. Depending on the day, the long-necked singer discovers in his plate pasta with lobster and tomato juice, roasted poultry supreme, chanterelles, beans and carrots melted, homemade chicken gyoza, bouillabaisse, charlotte with strawberries ... Not to mention the shoulder of Sunday lamb. On awakening, the person swallows pounds of exotic fruits (papaya or small Pakistani mangoes filled with sugar), granola that he brings from the United States, sometimes scrambled eggs. In Sologne, where he owns a property, Faustine Hug complies with more traditional requests: vol-au-vent, chicken sauteed hunter, duck confit ... On the trip, the chef cooks the dishes of Mick Jagger in one of the kitchens set disposition by the palace where he goes down or works directly from the furnaces of the suite of the star (or one of the neighboring suites). This is why she also has a room in the luxurious establishment.

With days starting at 9:30 and lasting until midnight , the pace is steady. It is that the person dines late, rarely before 22h. The cook is usually prevented two hours in advance of the number of guests, the fridges are always packed, just in case. And Mick Jagger gets a lot: his family of course (in 2016, he became dad for the eighth time), the end of year celebrations where a hundred VIPs invest his home but also the members of his group with whom he shares frequently mountain of cookies and brownies under bell for the snack. " He has a crazy passion for chocolate, " slides Faustine Hug. And if the septuagenarian carburates through a discipline of iron and must eat as an athlete, " he likes to eat. That's why he chose me because I go for food and nutrition. I like taking care of people, giving them energy, "she says.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 4, 2022 07:07

VoodooLounge13

Ahhh. The "Coconut tree" fall that was nothing to do with a coconut tree.

Is that just a way of being cheeky or do you actually believe that fake news?

Date: May 4, 2022 07:13

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
Yeah I'd say Keef is definitely aging and losing hair, and growing more aware of it, which is why - IMHO - he wears hats at every show now. He also sports a little belly these days - perhaps a result of COVID, but still it's there, and he seems to have grown into it. To say they've been immune, with their various cancer battles and heart conditions, is not an accurate statement. Aside from his "coconut tree fall", Keef has actually been rather healthy, and that in and of itself is rather surprising considering the life led vs. the others.

I think the sentiment is the same regardless. Here, I put it in red quotes above, so you get a different read on his opinion, but it doesn't change his POV.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 4, 2022 07:15

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
Yeah I'd say Keef is definitely aging and losing hair, and growing more aware of it, which is why - IMHO - he wears hats at every show now. He also sports a little belly these days - perhaps a result of COVID, but still it's there, and he seems to have grown into it. To say they've been immune, with their various cancer battles and heart conditions, is not an accurate statement. Aside from his "coconut tree fall", Keef has actually been rather healthy, and that in and of itself is rather surprising considering the life led vs. the others.

I think the sentiment is the same regardless. Here, I put it in red quotes above, so you get a different read on his opinion, but it doesn't change his POV.

For whatever reason, the color didn't show up.

Kinda like the coconut tree.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: May 4, 2022 11:37

BTW:

Can someone give me a hint to the original "palm tree fall" thread please?

Thanks - d.f

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 4, 2022 17:19

Bliss

Yes as long as the portions are very small and he exercises every single day.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 5, 2022 18:45

The last time I saw Merle Haggard (opening for Bob Dylan) he commented that the band was so old that they had an ambulance follow the tour bus on the road. With the Stones it would probably be a medevac helicopter.... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: May 5, 2022 18:53

Just a message for everyone:

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2154
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home