Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Critically Acclaimed Albums You Don't Like, At All
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 24, 2022 17:15

bv

This thread is depressing.

Yep - but it's interesting. You'll see that you're not the only one who couldn't get warm with a certain artist or album.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 24, 2022 17:35

Irix
bv

This thread is depressing.

Yep - but it's interesting. You'll see that you're not the only one who couldn't get warm with a certain artist or album.

it is interesting – but only as long as people tell why they don't like a certain record instead of just saying 'I don't like' without giving reasons

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 24, 2022 17:38

Let's all celebrate negativity thumbs up

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 24, 2022 17:45

bv
This thread is depressing. And offensive.

Why? Because people are asked to say what they dislike. It is all about dislike. Next step is hate, Then what comes after?

If you do not have anything nise to say, then why publish it on IORR?

Give me a break.

It’s just an opportunity to talk about differences in opinion. Not everything is a slippery slope. Sorry if I offended you. Please remove the thread if you wish or block me altogether. I respect most reasonable opinions, whether they seem positive or negative. Seriously, I wasn’t trying to depress anyone. Just trying to have a discussion about not getting the hype for highly-rated albums. I’m always open for civil discussions. You’re the first to express depression because of, or offense due to this thread. I respect your feelings and never intend to depress anyone.

Some of my favorite albums/bands of all time have been listed on here. Didn’t bother me one bit. I actually find it interesting. OK Computer, Pet Sounds, Dark Side of the Moon, Nirvana, REM I love them all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-24 18:00 by NashvilleBlues.

Date: April 24, 2022 17:48

Whale
Let's all celebrate negativity thumbs up

Differences of opinion do not always equal negativity. It definitely seems that way in the USA, but it does not have to be that way. Some people are too sensitive. Not all discussions have to be hateful or overly emotional.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 24, 2022 18:18

admitting that one doesn't like an album doesn't mean to insult other people who like it

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: April 24, 2022 19:20

“Anything by The Eagles”

“Nirvana and R.E.M. for starters”

“Mostly anything by Mr. Jack Johnson”

“Pretty much anything by Radiohead”

“I could also never get into anything by the Boss or Billy Joel”

“never liked much of anything from Radiohead ...same with Green Day...Dave Matthews Band... Kings of Leon...and on and on”

This thread is about critically acclaimed albums, not artists/bands you just don't like!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 24, 2022 19:25

It does seem that Pet Sounds is a divisive album amongst us. At leat, there had been some negativity towards it here.

I feel I should address my Springsteen comments a little more: I like quite a few of his songs; I’m just grappling with the reasoning behind my lack of desire to explore further. Perhaps, my ‘too American’ comment is too lazy; I suspect it is. It certainly wasn’t intended as any kind of slur at all. I love ‘classic America’; I’m just wondering whether Bruce is a little much. I don’t know.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 24, 2022 19:29

bv

Why? Because people are asked to say what they dislike. It is all about dislike. Next step is hate, Then what comes after?

Give me a break.

Hi, BV.

I think this is just a music discussion. Sometimes, we music fans, it’s quite fun to discuss our dislikes and loves, and to read the opinions of those who differ. Yes, there’s negativity, but also positivity, too!

Date: April 24, 2022 19:34

Captain Teague
“Anything by The Eagles”

“never liked much of anything from Radiohead ...same with Green Day...Dave Matthews Band... Kings of Leon...and on and on”

This thread is about critically acclaimed albums, not artists/bands you just don't like!

I can’t speak for anyone else, but when I wrote anything by the Eagles, I just meant whichever of their albums are critically acclaimed I don’t like (just in case others besides Hotel California are highly rated). With a band like Love, Forever Changes is really their only highly acclaimed album, that’s why I specified. I’m guessing that’s what other people mean when they say anything by _____.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 24, 2022 20:17

StonedRambler
MartinB
Bonamassa. Would like to like it but I can't.
... his face expressions always seem so pretended and forced so me...

Yes! Like in the middle of going to the toilet (#2, of course).

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 24, 2022 20:40

bv

Give me a break.

Yet you tolerate many offensive comments about the Stones, when I thought this forum was for fans who celebrate the Stones. Lots of information exchanged and fair criticisms welcome.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 24, 2022 21:27

I have been running IORR since 1980, and online since the mid 90's. I have never accepted an offensive title of any report or thread regarding the band members or their music, like "Why I do not like xxx" or "Why I hate yyy" ...

I do not mind a creative and open discussion, but when the title and the basis of the discussion is dislike, it means BULLY talks to me. Nothing creative, nothing positive, there has been too much dislike and hate lately.

Bjornulf

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: April 24, 2022 21:52

Big Al
I feel I should address my Springsteen comments a little more: I like quite a few of his songs; I’m just grappling with the reasoning behind my lack of desire to explore further. Perhaps, my ‘too American’ comment is too lazy; I suspect it is. It certainly wasn’t intended as any kind of slur at all. I love ‘classic America’; I’m just wondering whether Bruce is a little much. I don’t know.

I think that if you did explore the Springsteen oeuvre further you would be surprised, because there's a lot of variety there. I don't like everything Bruce has done - in fact I'm mostly out of sync with a lot of fans in terms of what I like and don't like - but there's such a range that I'd be surprised if you didn't find something that speaks to you.

The thing with Bruce is that most people only know a few of his songs. Mostly those from BitUSA, a couple from The River, and Streets of Philadelphia.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 24, 2022 22:00

I think it's interesting to see that people have other opinions about albums than the general public assessment. But I think it doesn't just have to be about what you don't like. It would also be cool to talk about it the other way around - about albums that you like but are generally regarded as rather weak. Maybe for another thread or expanding this one...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-24 22:01 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 24, 2022 22:11

In the end it’s all subjective opinion.Why is Robert Christgau’s opinion right and my opinion wrong if I disagree with him.When Exile was released the critics gave it mixed reviews.Today its almost universally acclaimed as a classic .History is full of artists who the critics and most of the general public had low opinions of their art when they were alive only to be canonized as great artists after they died.

Date: April 24, 2022 22:18

NashvilleBlues
Another thread made me think about this. A few stick out in my mind:

Anything by The Eagles (Never resonated for some reason. Seems like soul-less white boy fluff. No heart. Great musicians though. I kind of like Joe Walsh)

Stone Roses- Stone Roses (Doesn’t offer anything interesting or exciting to my ears. I like their attitude, though)

Funeral- Arcade Fire (Too busy and theatrical. Combine that with lo-fi, and it is an audible mess)

Forever Changes- Love (Boring, pretentious, the lyrics make me queasy. Easily one of the worst albums I have ever heard)

The thread is indeed depressing. And now I plea guilty: To me reggae is depressing. It makes me doze off.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: April 24, 2022 22:50

Anything by Queen

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 24, 2022 23:11

Captain Teague
“Anything by The Eagles”

All of those bands have had albums that have been "critically acclaimed" at various points of their career, or as I previously stated: "critics seemed to fawn over them at one point or another".

Re: OT: Critically Acclaimed Albums You Don’t Understand
Date: April 24, 2022 23:14

I changed the title. smiling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 24, 2022 23:20

Bastion
bitusa2012
Big Al
bitusa2012
ALL Radiohead. Self absorbed crap

ALL Pink Floyd. Pretentious crap

Well, they're both self-absorbed and pretentious, truthfully. Whether they're 'crap' is debatable. I like some of the music released by both group's, though, again, like with Springsteen, there's a mental block at play.

You say Springsteen is “too” American. Yet his writing about unemployment issues, immigration, police brutality, welfare, love, dreams, violence, cars, veterans affairs, industrialisation, politics, gangs, sentimentalism .. to me, even as an Australian, they’re universal. I hear and feel everything he writes about. He’s from New Jersey. I’m from Perth. As far away as it’s possible to be geographically.

Bruce Springsteen - the most self absorbed and pretentious crap

This is probably the only Springsteen I can sit through and enjoy:

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 24, 2022 23:21

Dont understand

Well in that case - Pedro Abrunhosa- Viagens
Cant figure out a word he's sayin ....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 24, 2022 23:24

bv
I have been running IORR since 1980, and online since the mid 90's. I have never accepted an offensive title of any report or thread regarding the band members or their music, like "Why I do not like xxx" or "Why I hate yyy" ...

I do not mind a creative and open discussion, but when the title and the basis of the discussion is dislike, it means BULLY talks to me. Nothing creative, nothing positive, there has been too much dislike and hate lately.

I changed the title. Bully? If there was any bullying in this thread, I missed it. Actually, it was going peacefully. No one was arguing. Just talking about albums that don’t resonate. Of all the topics to talk about, I thought this was mild, and it seems most that have responded agree. I know who you are. I appreciate you creating and moderating iorr. When you expressed unhappiness about this thread, I was surprised. People seem to enjoy this thread, but I’ll remove it, if you wish. Sincerely, NashvilleBlues.

Date: April 24, 2022 23:26

Rockman
Dont understand

Well in that case - Pedro Abrunhosa- Viagens
Cant figure out a word he's sayin ....

smileys with beer

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: April 24, 2022 23:34

slewan
'Get Yer Ya-Yas Out' – I just don't get what people see in it! That record just sounds bad, muffled sound etc.

True, it sounds dated and lacks punch. I think it's often praised because of sentimental value. "Stripped" and "No Security" features tighter playing in perfect sound quality but are overlooked by fans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-24 23:57 by RaiseTheKnife.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: April 25, 2022 01:54

bv

There’s a place in between. I might not like Springsteen’s music, but I respect him. I often wondered why I don’t “get” him. Just the way it goes I suppose. It’s nice to see others feel the same. You can not like someone’s work and still respect what they do. Springsteen has done it on a huge level so like I said in my 1st post, my opinion won’t matter.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: April 25, 2022 02:55

RaiseTheKnife
slewan
'Get Yer Ya-Yas Out' – I just don't get what people see in it! That record just sounds bad, muffled sound etc.

True, it sounds dated and lacks punch. I think it's often praised because of sentimental value. "Stripped" and "No Security" features tighter playing in perfect sound quality but are overlooked by fans.

Generally I tend to concur. As of now, it feels more like a period piece. I once posted here, great live album but tad overrated presumably because of the mythical status of the 1969 US tour, Altamont, the Stones’ answer to Live’r Than You’ll Ever Be etc. Overall, I’d rate the 1972 tour higher. Whether Stripped or No Security is “better” than GYYYO is debatable, though.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 25, 2022 04:24

I've not been into most of Springsteen's music, but after seeing him live in his one-man theater show, from the fourth row, I finally "get" him. I see the appeal of his blue-collar roots, his sincerity, his charisma. I even greatly enjoyed some of the songs.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-25 04:28 by angee.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: April 25, 2022 05:32

* Dark side of the moon.
* The Wall

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 25, 2022 06:36

PET SOUNDS.

One of the absolute worst albums I've ever listened to.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1871
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home