Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Two new studio songs that were merged into one
Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 3, 2022 16:28

We all know (or should know) the story of how the Beatles - A Day In The Life was originally two new song fragments that were merged into one (possibly their greatest song). Did something similar ever happen with Mick and Keith?

Re: Two new studio songs that were merged into one
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 3, 2022 16:34

Keith's written 100 songs with one riff grinning smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 3, 2022 16:46

If I understood their comments right, "Memory Motel" was pretty close that.

- Doxa

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: February 3, 2022 17:01

2000 LYFH
We all know (or should know) the story of how the Beatles - A Day In The Life was originally two new song fragments that were merged into one (possibly their greatest song). Did something similar ever happen with Mick and Keith?

They definitely should have left it as two songs - that way we could have skipped Paul's part completely spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 3, 2022 17:04

Doxa

- Doxa

Never heard that one but the main piano riffing and Keith's chorus do sound like 2 different songs "welded" together.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 3, 2022 17:12

A lot of Stones ballads in particular have "Codas" or "middle eights" that would form the basis of a very good song in their own right.

Date: February 3, 2022 17:13

From timeisonourside.com:

Keith or I might have had the initial idea (for a song), but after a while you can't separate who wrote it. We just sit down and do them, sometimes in the studio, sometimes at home. Like here, this song, Memory Motel, I wrote the first part, the piano part, which I played. Course I had to take time off from the Stones... that takes a lot of my time, let me TELL you... but I don't mind, it's my own time - to do my own solo stuff on the LP, but more of that later. So anyway... I play the bloody piano, right? Okay, so I'm going, mmmmm-mmmmm, a-mmmmmm, and Keith goes, hmmmmmgghh... uhhh... that sounds all right..., and I say, Well, I only just started it, I ain't finished yet, 'cause I like to get everything finished, done, written on paper, typed up, all written out. But he doesn't like that so he says, I've got a middle bit here, and he sits down at the other piano, the electric piano, and he plays the middle bit. Then I learn that and he learns my part, and THEN we make the track, and I sing what I've got. And then I go and finish the words. They're all done in a day. And in fact, when Keith wrote the middle bit, he did those words... he goes... mmmm... she's got a mind... of her own... Anyway, that's how, for instance, we wrote that song. Boring, isn't it?

- Mick Jagger, 1976

Yeah, I thought it was beautiful. Mick had nearly all of it planned out, but he had no bridge, no middle part. And it so happened that the other part that I do, I was writing this song that had no other part. And for some amazing reason, they both seamlessly fit into each other, which is what Mick and I do, with a bit of luck. But yeah, I remember that moment, realizing that we had one song and not two.

- Keith Richards, 2015

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-03 17:13 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 3, 2022 17:17

dcba
Doxa

- Doxa

Never heard that one but the main piano riffing and Keith's chorus do sound like 2 different songs "welded" together.

Yeah, just a while ago there was some discussion about "Memory Motel" and then I checked the comments from timeisonourside.com. They wrote individually the parts they sing. However, it was not there, but I recall once reading that Keith already had his part written and he added it to Mick's song. I guess the part was something like a whole song idea, not just 'middle eight' or something.

Edit: yeah, Dandie picked up the quotes!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-03 17:20 by Doxa.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 3, 2022 21:41

i think one hit was like that too but i could be wrong about that

but i think it developed out of several different ideas though

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 3, 2022 21:57

Can´t you hear me knockin...cool smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home