Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Did the sound of ROLLING STONES changed post Charlie Watts death?
Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: January 1, 2022 17:48

I have seen the live shows of ROLLING STONES in 2021. But I would say that the sound has changed post Charlie's death. Do you agree ?

Re: Did the sound of ROLLING STONES changed post Charlie Watts death?
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 1, 2022 17:52

Not sure if sound really is the right angle for approach. They have been curiously unable to wrap up songs endings properly which tells a lot but not about sound.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 1, 2022 18:57

The fact that thousands of fans have seen them on this tour and nearly all the reviews have been glowing, I'd say Steve has been able to save most of Charlie's original vibe. Naturally there are going to be differences as they are two different drummers from different generations and backgrounds but minute subtleties aside, the sound, generally speaking, has remained in tact.

Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: January 1, 2022 19:06

True. Also Keith's guitar work was. Although he was down for last few shows. However been on top at Hollywood FL. Guitar work by Keith for Sympathy for the devil in Hollywood fl was great

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: January 1, 2022 19:07

The answer to that question is: Yes.

Date: January 1, 2022 19:12

The sound did change. The pace of some of the songs was more upbeat(no pun intended) and Steve did a great job.

The sound changed when they lost Brian. The sound changed when they lost Mick Taylor. The sound changed when they lost Bill Wyman. So, this is the change they wanted.

None of this really matters. What does matter is they made thousands of fans happy seeing them perform live.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: January 1, 2022 19:23

Yes, from what I have heard, Steve injected a disco vibe to the sound, like a pounding metronome. Powerful and relentless.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: January 1, 2022 19:32

Yes the sound has changed.......just as it always has.

The Rolling Stones 1 (with BJ & Stu)

Stones 2 (with MT plus horns plus backup vocals)
Stones 3 (with RW plus horns plus backup vocals)
Stones 4 (without BW with DJ as substitute)
Stones 5 (without CW with SJ as substitute)

The Stones we have heard across recent decades are ALL versions of Stones 2.
When backup vocalists, plus horn section, plus keyboards were added permanently to live concerts the Stones sound also changed permanently from The original Rolling Stones 1.

Please note this post is not passing judgement........just highlighting indisputable facts. When BJ left / died MJ/KR must have done some serious thinking about their future because they made permanent changes to the band.........in essence they created a new band for live concerts.

Date: January 1, 2022 20:21

Again?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 1, 2022 20:37

.... wanna hear him record with them ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 1, 2022 20:42

Heavy handed and relentless, but he was adequate and helped them complete their long delayed tour...and it was an all around weird tour given all the weird circumstances.
Steve's a great drummer no doubt, just not a great Stones drummer imo. Impossible to replace Charlie and everything he stood for and meant to the Stones' sound.

Date: January 1, 2022 20:43

YES

Is a team able to play the same way without Messi and Ronaldo?

Without Wyman&Watts ...what do you expect? the same sound?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-01 20:46 by emotionalbarbecue.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 1, 2022 22:31

skytrench
Yes, from what I have heard, Steve injected a disco vibe to the sound, like a pounding metronome. Powerful and relentless.

Probably the biggest tribute to Charlie then. Did you listen to Charlie during those last few years? Nearly every song got the four-on-the-floor treatment even ones that you'd never think needed it ("She's So Cold", anyone?) Wasn't clear if Charlie was adapting to modern trends in music by doing this or just make it very (very) easy on himself. He somehow made it work for "Midnight Rambler" during those final years.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 3, 2022 04:22

Live it's hard to catch the difference in Charlie not being there, or Bill. It's when you get it home on a good stereo system that you notice what's lost. I think Steve Jordan is a hell of a lot better replacement on drums than what they replaced the bass with. It's really not about the music anymore, anyway. The same songs, played the same way, has been the modus operandi for twenty years. Make people happy who've never seen them, or create nostalgia for long time fans.

Date: January 3, 2022 11:11

24FPS
Live it's hard to catch the difference in Charlie not being there, or Bill. It's when you get it home on a good stereo system that you notice what's lost. I think Steve Jordan is a hell of a lot better replacement on drums than what they replaced the bass with. It's really not about the music anymore, anyway. The same songs, played the same way, has been the modus operandi for twenty years. Make people happy who've never seen them, or create nostalgia for long time fans.

A very good reflection to think about it.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 3, 2022 11:20

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-03 11:34 by Stoneage.

Date: January 3, 2022 11:41

In a way it was the only interesting thing that happened live for them. A change for a while. And I say with the deepest respect for Charlie. Otherwise the tour would have been an exact copy of the last one.
It wasn't better, perhaps not even worse. But something different happened...

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: January 3, 2022 11:46

24FPS
Live it's hard to catch the difference in Charlie not being there

I have to disagree with this. I went to the last 4 Shows and to me the sound has changed dramatically. Especially in parts where the guitars are not that high in the mix I had a different Feeling. Why would you hear and feel the differnce better on some Smartphone Clips on your Stereo than live in concert where you have a crystal clear loud sound? I Love the Stones and I really miss Charlie and with his loss some of the magic has gone. I will still going to see them when they may come to Europe this summer nur I won't go to as many concerts as I used to go the last tours and not with the same enthusiasm.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: January 3, 2022 12:43

The tempos were tighter with Jordan, that was the impression I got from live feeds and clips. I didn't go to any shows last year.

Date: January 3, 2022 12:49

Yep, Jordan kind of sets the tempo. He is ahead of the beat rather than one step behind - like Charlie. A different approach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-03 12:59 by Stoneage.

Date: January 3, 2022 13:04

I'd say he's on the beat smiling smiley

Seriously, some songs improved this tour (19th Nervous Breakdown, Paint It, Black), while others sounded a little too different, imo (Midnight Rambler).

All in all, Steve did a magnificent job. Well done! thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 3, 2022 13:19

hockenheim95
24FPS
Live it's hard to catch the difference in Charlie not being there

I have to disagree with this. I went to the last 4 Shows and to me the sound has changed dramatically. Especially in parts where the guitars are not that high in the mix I had a different Feeling. Why would you hear and feel the differnce better on some Smartphone Clips on your Stereo than live in concert where you have a crystal clear loud sound? I Love the Stones and I really miss Charlie and with his loss some of the magic has gone. I will still going to see them when they may come to Europe this summer nur I won't go to as many concerts as I used to go the last tours and not with the same enthusiasm.

I kinda understand the point made by 24FPS. I go to see the Stones so rarely that it is always a big event for me and I am totally excited that I left my objective, critical self at home. I just enjoy the ride, meet fellow Stones fans, and feel like the young teenager fanboy wittnessing his biggest musical heroes live. Some shows or some individual numbers feel better than others, but always a great experience. Just one or two shows per tour is perfect for me - maybe more shows would make more critical, start whining about the set lists, etc. but with that model I am content with what I experience. And after every gig I have that funny, fully-satisfied feeling 'this was my last Stones concert, now I've seen it all, and I can die happy...' but then another tour comes and...

But listening the shows at home is a pretty different thing. There I can be much more critical, objective and whatever. Pay attention to details not bothering me in concert, because at home I am not just too busy to just enjoy... It is just different kind of fun.

You know, I saw my first Stones show in 1995, and I can say without hesitation that it was the biggest musical experience of my life (having waited that day to come about 14 years, no time to explain why I missed some earlier tours) and no any other Stones show since then comes close to it. But in order to protect that precious memory I have refused to listen any bootleg of that show, because I know whatever the dudes were doing on stage that won't be close to what I experienced... (honestly, about all Voodoo Lounge Tour stadium shows I have listened or watched 'at home' are musically pretty boring ones.)

But yeah, all of this is pretty subjective and we as individuals feel and experience things differently. Some people for sure can be as analytical at concert as 'at home'. I am amazed about how 'super fans' like our moderator go to each show and no doubt are enthusuastic as ever every time. I don't have that kind of stamina at all. For me it takes time - a year or two maybe - to recover from one show... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: January 3, 2022 13:57

I think Steve plays closer to the studio versions, especially in Satisfaction and Street Fighting Man.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 3, 2022 14:18

Yes. Steve Jordan is a fine drummer but his style is much different from Charlie Watts. I was unable to attend any of the shows but I have heard some tapes. The sense of swing that Charlie brought is pretty much gone & that was a huge component of the band's sound. I'm not saying the last tour was bad by any means, just different. In fact, I thought the band played much better than I was expecting. I don't think I'll see them again though. I'm good with leaving it at the Seattle show in 2019. That was a magical night & seems like a good final note for me.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 3, 2022 15:14

Kingbeebuzz
Yes the sound has changed.......just as it always has.

The Rolling Stones 1 (with BJ & Stu)

Stones 2 (with MT plus horns plus backup vocals)
Stones 3 (with RW plus horns plus backup vocals)
Stones 4 (without BW with DJ as substitute)
Stones 5 (without CW with SJ as substitute)

The Stones we have heard across recent decades are ALL versions of Stones 2.
When backup vocalists, plus horn section, plus keyboards were added permanently to live concerts the Stones sound also changed permanently from The original Rolling Stones 1.

Please note this post is not passing judgement........just highlighting indisputable facts. When BJ left / died MJ/KR must have done some serious thinking about their future because they made permanent changes to the band.........in essence they created a new band for live concerts.

Late response, but yes Kingbeebuzz, that's what it's all about. It's just like you and me ... and anybody else. My "me" of 60 years ago is very, very "different" from my "me" of today. But ..... it's still me. Evolution, but sometimes Revolution. I broke my wrist badly 50 years ago and it still restricts some of my activities. I turned bold, so "out of favor with many ladies" grinning smiley). Although, some like bold men tongue sticking out smiley
I got to know the Rolling Stones 58 years ago. Man, did they change my life ... but I'm still me, the diehard Stones fan (be it 6, 5, 4 or like now 3 members) who still looks forward to some more (surely very enjoyable) concerts.
And when I go to a concert I carry Stu, Brian, Mick T, Bill and Charlie with me in my mind.
Someone said not long ago: a dog with three legs is still a dog. Bang! Spot on winking smiley

Happy New Year everyone!

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 3, 2022 15:46

Sound has not changed. Tempo did.

Date: January 3, 2022 16:04

What's the standard ? There are about a 100 Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-03 16:12 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: January 4, 2022 00:37

I love them as a band. Wyman was a huge loss. Watts was the final blow. Glad I saw them in the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s. They will never be The Rolling Stones without Charlie Watts.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 4, 2022 03:41

Of course it changed.

What a bizarre question.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 4, 2022 03:43

Think about the very subject of the question - the sound.

Mick Taylor joined after Brian Jones was booted out.

Sound changed.

Ronnie Wood joined after Mick Taylor quit.

Sound changed.

Of course the sound changed with Steve Jordan. How could it not?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1742
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home