Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT RIP Billy HInsche (Beach Boys)
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 22, 2021 09:31

Billy Hinsche, who was a long-time touring member of The Beach Boys has died.

I was just watching an interview with him in the Dean Martin: King of Cool documentary that premiered on TCM the other night. As a teen he had been the member of the group Dino, Desi, and Billy who wasn't a son of a famous star.

Seemed like a good guy who led a real interesting life, and played a lot of good music along the way.

RIP

[www.rollingstone.com]

Re: OT RIP Billy HInsche (Beach Boys)
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 22, 2021 12:26

RIP

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 22, 2021 15:56

I bought the Dino, Desi, Billy album for my sister when they were hot for a moment. This came back to me when I watched the Dean Martin documentary on TCM. RIP, Billy.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: November 22, 2021 17:59

RIP Billy.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: November 22, 2021 19:09

He did a lot of webcasts during the pandemic. He told stories, played songs, and did phone interviews with friends. I watched a couple. [www.billyhinsche.com]
He led a very interesting life.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 22, 2021 21:50

RIP Billy

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 22, 2021 22:01

RIP Billy. I don't really remember them as a viable band. More of a gimmick to wheel out on those 60s variety shows. (Which they did). I don't even remember a record by them that was popular.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 23, 2021 00:37

24FPS
RIP Billy. I don't really remember them as a viable band. More of a gimmick to wheel out on those 60s variety shows. (Which they did). I don't even remember a record by them that was popular.

Nor do I.

You'd see them mentioned in magazines, or appearing on TV shows, but I never heard them on the radio. Ever.

One of the vintage RC Cola ads that TCM (them again!) ran during their recent showing of the TV Special "Movin' with Nancy" (Sinatra) had a clip of Dino, Desi, and Billy playing live...to an empty Hollywood Bowl.

Kind of a great visual metaphor for their imaginary fame.

Yet Billy, notable for being the one born without a golden spoon, worked so long with the Beach Boys that he deserves some nod of respect.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: November 23, 2021 07:46

They played in the era of package tours. They had to have played somewhere. They were often mentioned in 16 and Tiger Beat magazines, and had two singles in the Top 40.

Billy was one of the few Asian performers during that era, along with Larry Ramos of the Association (both Filipino).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home