Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 24
Re: Is it time for the Stones to stop rolling?
Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: November 23, 2021 18:59

Never paid Adele much attention but I'm listening to her album '30' right now and I have hit say I'm impressed. Strong tunes, great singing and genuine emotion.

The Stones have been a projection for our darker and wilder selves for decades so why shouldn't Adele do something similar, in her own very different way?

It's funny that people think the Stones should stop rolling because Keith looks a little out of it and plays some bum notes. They should have stopped a LONG time ago if that's how we're judging it! He's been like that on and off for way more than 40 years.

The youtube videos Ive seen - mostly Ramblers and a version of All Down the Line (from LA??) have been terrific. I was very sad when Charlie died, but Steve Jordan has given the band a huge kick up the arse. ]

I have no doubt they'll play Europe next year. I got decent seats in Manchester for £129 last time out. (they were reduced from £179 with a few weeks to go). I don't regard that as cheap - the prices Americans are required to pay are insane - but I'll be there.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: November 23, 2021 19:00

Big Al
daspyknows
Stoneage
Nikkei, listen to her single "Go Easy On Me" on Youtube. She has a very good soul voice. No doubt about it. She isn't just a media hype. That doesn't say I would listen to the whole album or visit a gig...
But I always admit quality when I see it. Doesn't matter which genre.

She is no Amy Winehouse though. Too bad she didn't have Keef's genes.

In what sense? Musically? As much as I loved Amy Winehouse's music, I don’t believe she was any more talented than Adele. It’s just so tragic that Winehouse left us, though. Her music was truly a soundtrack for urban U.K. life.

Voice and music/songwriting IMHO.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 23, 2021 19:41

SomeTorontoGirl
treaclefingers
Nicely executed STG.

Executed? I just meant to wing him! winking smiley

gurl...you on fire!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 23, 2021 22:03

STG and Treacle tagether on Oprah .......

Id pay ta watch that
Dont forget wear white .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 23, 2021 22:56

Ritchie Blackmore was asked around 1977 when he wiill retire from music.
He answered that while people come to his concerts he will continue playing

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 24, 2021 00:25

Shortly about Adele, and others like here: Seems to me when you make it big in England you end up in LA sooner or later. Is it a dream for every Londoner to live in LA? Is it the weather?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 24, 2021 00:35

Stoneage
Shortly about Adele, and others like here: Seems to me when you make it big in England you end up in LA sooner or later. Is it a dream for every Londoner to live in LA? Is it the weather?

It is, there's even a terribly british song about it: [www.youtube.com]

Date: November 24, 2021 01:02

daspyknows
Stoneage
Nikkei, listen to her single "Go Easy On Me" on Youtube. She has a very good soul voice. No doubt about it. She isn't just a media hype. That doesn't say I would listen to the whole album or visit a gig...
But I always admit quality when I see it. Doesn't matter which genre.

She is no Amy Winehouse though.

Is that a fact? Imo they're equal average. This been there done that genre has been around a 1000 times before.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 24, 2021 06:13

Stoneage

The weather, the industry, less tax, maybe? It’s certainly better than living in a council high rise in Tottenham. Then again, L.A. has is it’s god-awful areas too, I’m sure.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 24, 2021 06:38

Stoneage

It's not England.

A huge plus, period.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 24, 2021 09:19

no they shouldn't stop

now revive the thread next summer

Posted by: RG ()
Date: November 24, 2021 10:16

NO. NEVER STOP ROLLING.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: November 24, 2021 10:24

KeithNacho
Ritchie Blackmore was asked around 1977 when he wiill retire from music.
He answered that while people come to his concerts he will continue playing

But his playing deteriorated druing the last tour so it is no more a pleasure to listen to.It has something to do with age...

Date: November 24, 2021 11:06

GasLightStreet
Stoneage

It's not England.

A huge plus, period.

Really? Is England that bad? Maybe if I were as rich and famous as someone like Adele, L.A. would be more appealing. In my position, however, I'm more than content here in England. One of my issues when residing in Canada, was missing U.K. life and day-to-day British culture. I'd definitely be longing for home, if living in L.A.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: November 24, 2021 15:09

Somebody on Shidoobee saying 3 dates for Wembley are "confirmed".

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 24, 2021 16:54

Can't see them playing Wembley (outdoors) during the winter months.

Posted by: rereuk ()
Date: November 24, 2021 17:16

NO.

musically speaking the stones stopped having any sort of "say" 40 years ago, watts or no watts. if anybody truly believes that a business like theirs capable of making $10mil x gig as they just made will ever stop you are insane. such serenity allows them to set rules and do whatever they want, even playing horribly as they have been playing for now a long time. jagger has fun, keith do. ronnie, one of the biggest people pleasers on this planet, has too, as long as mick throws him a bone every once ina while (and he does, under the guise of a smile or a funny introduction). jordan had to unlearn to play at his level simply to accomodate watts's drumming which guys come on STEVE GADD HE WASNT.with all this said universal will keep on pumping pumping pumping until the end of time, new cds, new dvds, more shite t shirts (just check the rs store here in london, is offensive), etc etc. no, if i were them i would never stop. and they won't trust me.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: November 24, 2021 17:16

I think a lot depends on Ronnie, he's already amazing doctors I'd imagine, but if the Ronnie articles were correct about the type of cancer he has he's most likely planning three months ahead at a time between scans, i should know as I've lost two friends to small cell lung cancer, next years tour will depend on Ronnie bless him .

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: November 24, 2021 17:18

rereuk
new cds

If only.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: November 24, 2021 17:39

Green Lady
Can't see them playing Wembley (outdoors) during the winter months.

Not winter. 2022.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 25, 2021 03:21

No. I'm not sure if I can get myself to a Charlie-less show...but no, they should not stop unless they want to stop.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 25, 2021 03:29

I've come to the conclusion that they should have wrapped it up in Cuba. The "Desert Trip" is the point where it all shifted, got sort of pointless and crass. Since they obviously didn't stop and I got to see one last show that verged on greatness in 2018, they might as well continue as it is what it is now.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 25, 2021 03:38

Was happy to see this new version of the *Stones sans Charlie twice recently in L.A. and they were really great, but for the first tour ever I realized twice was more than enough.
Hope everyone enjoys future shows in Europe (and wherever else), and I'll happily follow along online. And if they're ever able to come back to the US I'll try to see them, but I'll probably be thinking just once is enough.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 25, 2021 05:41

Big Al
GasLightStreet
Stoneage

It's not England.

A huge plus, period.

Really? Is England that bad? Maybe if I were as rich and famous as someone like Adele, L.A. would be more appealing. In my position, however, I'm more than content here in England. One of my issues when residing in Canada, was missing U.K. life and day-to-day British culture. I'd definitely be longing for home, if living in L.A.

Based on things I've read over the years, yes, it is that bad. And not just because of the weather.

Posted by: Gfmsoccer ()
Date: November 25, 2021 06:14

They are not going to retire with the 60th tour next summer, but I do think the big tours will stop. By that I mean crossing America or Europe for 15 shows. I bet Euro 2022 is the end of that. They’ll become a special event band after that. Still performing in great venues for special occasions, charity shows, maybe a residency. Obviously Mick could still tour he’s so fit, but he’s also super conscious of legacy & how they are perceived. The lessons of hanging on too long from Chuck Berry, BB King and Phil Collins are clear.

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: November 25, 2021 06:37

Gfmsoccer
They are not going to retire with the 60th tour next summer, but I do think the big tours will stop. By that I mean crossing America or Europe for 15 shows. I bet Euro 2022 is the end of that. They’ll become a special event band after that. Still performing in great venues for special occasions, charity shows, maybe a residency. Obviously Mick could still tour he’s so fit, but he’s also super conscious of legacy & how they are perceived. The lessons of hanging on too long from Chuck Berry, BB King and Phil Collins are clear.

All valid points. I see Chuck Berry thrown around a lot. I think he still was worth seeing in 2007, when he was 81. Flash forward to 2014 and it's certainly sad to see him muttering on stage and barely able to strum a chord. I don't think the Stones are at the 2014 Chuck Berry level yet. I think they've got at least 2-3 more good years in the tank, permitting they remain healthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXv0bMHhAfs

Date: November 25, 2021 07:13

GasLightStreet
Big Al
GasLightStreet
Stoneage

It's not England.

A huge plus, period.

Based on things I've read over the years, yes, it is that bad. And not just because of the weather.

Yep! The nation that gave us the industrial revolution, the judicial system and the Rolling Stones!

Of course, you’re taking about living here, though. Well, we’re a developed-world nation, fifth-largest economy, free health service, etc. I’d wager a U.K. resident has more freedoms than many, many other nations. I’d argue that one is quite fortunate to be here. There’s got to be a reason why all these migrants risk their lives, crossing over from France to get here, right?

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: November 25, 2021 07:45

Unfortunately they are driven by the dollar and if they can fill stadiums and churn out the bog standard stuff they will.Hopefully they will know when it’s time to quit and they check out Frank Sinatra’s final performances .
It’s a real shame that they don’t want to treat the diehard fans to some rarities in a club setting.Get Mick Talyor in for a few numbers too,and release the concert as a dvd.Instead it looks like we are gonna get the Hollywood show with the usual songs.How predictable and boring is that.
It’s sad that the money is more important than the creativity.But it’s been like that for too many years.This is the tragedy.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 25, 2021 07:51

But But if they quit now what
will all the neg-boys have to sook about ..... HHhaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 25, 2021 09:21

Big Al
GasLightStreet
Big Al
GasLightStreet
Stoneage

It's not England.

A huge plus, period.

Yep! The nation that gave us the industrial revolution, the judicial system and the Rolling Stones!

Of course, you’re taking about living here, though. Well, we’re a developed-world nation, fifth-largest economy, free health service, etc. I’d wager a U.K. resident has more freedoms than many, many other nations. I’d argue that one is quite fortunate to be here. There’s got to be a reason why all these migrants risk their lives, crossing over from France to get here, right?

really it's not enough to fight endlessly and meaninglessly over whether keith is drunk onstage now we're pointlessly attacking countries we don't live in just to rile up fellow fans into angry defenses of there homelands

can we please be better then thissad smileyconfused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-25 09:22 by ProfessorWolf.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1847
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home