Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Waddy Wachtel interview - Ultimate Classic Rock, August 22
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 23, 2021 15:13

Waddy Wachtel Looks Back on ‘Magical’ Work With Rolling Stones

by Matt Wardlaw
August 22, 2021

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Re: Waddy Wachtel interview - Ultimate Classic Rock, August 22
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 23, 2021 16:02

"Jim Keltner and I, I’m proud to say, were there every night of the making of that album, which went on for a couple of months. Every night, we were at the studio with the Rolling Stones, playing great stuff and wondering what we were going to play next. Figuring out what to play. Going back in and playing some more.
It was a magical period of my life and Jim’s."

Mick, please, give us an expanded B2B! You'll please your fans and you'll show the whole world the Stones were - like Dylan - able to release an excellent late-career album.
Dylan did it - also in 1997 - with TOOM to critical acclaim, but B2B was largely ignored or lambasted.

Do it, Mick! 2022 will be the 25th anniversary of the album! thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 23, 2021 16:13

dcba
"Jim Keltner and I, I’m proud to say, were there every night of the making of that album, which went on for a couple of months. Every night, we were at the studio with the Rolling Stones, playing great stuff and wondering what we were going to play next. Figuring out what to play. Going back in and playing some more.

Mick, please, give us an expanded B2B! You'll please your fans and you'll show the whole world the Stones were - like Dylan - able to release an excellent late-career album.
Dylan did it - also in 1997 - with TOOM to critical acclaim, but B2B was largely ignored or lambasted.

There were a handful of great cuts on it but I don't think the 'deluxe' treatment is warranted.

Now that the major albums have been done, I think clearing the shelves like the Beatles did in the 90s with some 'official' outtakes and previously unreleased would be welcomed. They have the material as they've proved with the Fully Finished Studio Outtakes unofficial release this year.

Date: August 23, 2021 17:06

They could do a cd2 album just with the extra tracks they recorded at Ocean Way, not counting what appeared this year on the Ffso boot :
Don’t Apologize, Ever Changing World, Feeling Now, High Or Low, I’m Cured, Precious Lips, Smooth Stuff...

PLUS a few alt./early versions of BTB songs would make a nice re-release imo.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 23, 2021 17:16

Waddy Wachtel currently plays with Russ Kunkel and Steve Postell? Sounds sketchy

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 23, 2021 18:29

Bridges is a great album.Top 10 album. I would like to know which guitar parts Waddy is playing . Iknow he plays the beautiful solo at the end of Anybody Seen My Baby but I am not sure which guitar he plays on the others

Date: August 23, 2021 18:37

Taylor1
Bridges is a great album.Top 10 album. I would like to know which guitar parts Waddy is playing . Iknow he plays the beautiful solo at the end of Anybody Seen My Baby but I am not sure which guitar he plays on the others

According to timeisonourside.com Waddy plays rhythm guitar on Flip The Switch, lead guitar on Anybody Seen My Baby, slide guitar on Lowdown, the riff guitar on Saint Of Me, supposedly one of the guitars on Out Of Control and Might As Well Get Juiced (can't figure out which ones that might be, though), acoustic guitar on Always Suffering, rhythm guitar on Too Tight and Thief In The Night (can't hear those, either) and one of the three guitars on How Can I Stop.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 23, 2021 18:54

dcba

Agree, another deluxe with a LIVE SHOW.(TWA?)

Date: August 23, 2021 18:58

Thanks .

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 23, 2021 19:14

Nikkei
Waddy Wachtel currently plays with Russ Kunkel and Steve Postell? Sounds sketchy

Yes he does, and has for a while.

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 23, 2021 19:22

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-23 19:29 by Doxa.

Date: August 23, 2021 19:28

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

According to timeisonourside.com Waddy plays rhythm guitar on Flip The Switch, lead guitar on Anybody Seen My Baby, slide guitar on Lowdown, the riff guitar on Saint Of Me, supposedly one of the guitars on Out Of Control and Might As Well Get Juiced (can't figure out which ones that might be, though), acoustic guitar on Always Suffering, rhythm guitar on Too Tight and Thief In The Night (can't hear those, either) and one of the three guitars on How Can I Stop.

Huh! Knew he was there, but didn't realize that he played on so many tracks. He basically was a Rolling Stones guitarist on that album.

What was the story there? Keith seemingly invited him yes, but did they feel like there was problems on that department that they wanted to have an extra guitarist there (just in case)?

- Doxa

Date: August 23, 2021 19:30

Or he did the dirty jobs Keef didn't want to bother with, like playing on a track that had too much of a "Dust Bros" flavour?
"Hey Waddy, YOU overdub that sh!t! Urh urh urh..."

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 23, 2021 19:40

bye bye johnny
Nikkei

Yes he does, and has for a while.

[www.facebook.com]
He used to play with himself but it got him into trouble.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 23, 2021 21:38

From album credits B2B - Waddy plays on:

Flip The Switch - electric guitar
Anybody Seen My Baby - Electric and Acoustic
Low Down - Electric
Always Suffering - acoustic
Too Tight - electric
How Can I Stop
Thief in the night
Out of Control- electric
might as well get juiced- electric
saint of me

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 23, 2021 22:01

Seen Waddy a couple times, with Keith in 93 and with Stevie Nicks in 16. Saw Lee Sklar I believe with Phil Collins around 1990.

Date: August 23, 2021 23:57

OpenG

Low Down - Electric
Too Tight - electric
How Can I Stop
Thief in the night
Out of Control- electric
saint of me

Wasn't Ronnie awol for this album?

Date: August 24, 2021 01:14

dcba
Or he did the dirty jobs Keef didn't want to bother with, like playing on a track that had too much of a "Dust Bros" flavour?
"Hey Waddy, YOU overdub that sh!t! Urh urh urh..."

On that track Keith played his a$$ off, though. Supposedly before the brothers added their 'dust'.

Date: August 24, 2021 01:16

Maindefender
OpenG

Low Down - Electric
Too Tight - electric
How Can I Stop
Thief in the night
Out of Control- electric
saint of me

Three guitars on most of those tunes.

Date: August 24, 2021 01:24

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Huh! Knew he was there, but didn't realize that he played on so many tracks. He basically was a Rolling Stones guitarist on that album.

What was the story there? Keith seemingly invited him yes, but did they feel like there was problems on that department that they wanted to have an extra guitarist there (just in case)?

- Doxa

Wake up, little Suzy.tongue sticking out smiley

Date: August 24, 2021 02:12

DandelionPowderman
Maindefender
OpenG

Low Down - Electric
Too Tight - electric
How Can I Stop
Thief in the night
Out of Control- electric
saint of me

Three guitars on most of those tunes.

thumbs up listening to the TWA show Keith is really on fire, plays the Hell out of Flip the Switch

Date: August 24, 2021 03:12

Waddy’s guitar meshes so well with Keith’s

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 24, 2021 10:47

"All of the sudden, Mick [Jagger] just said to me, “Waddy, come here, you’ve got to play on this song.” I went, “What?” He said, “Yeah, you gotta do the Keith stuff on this song. He doesn’t want to do it.” Or something like that. I went, “Really? Oh, okay.” So I did the Keith stuff!"

That has to be SOM, best/most memorable guitar part on a Stones record for decades !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: August 24, 2021 11:08

gotdablouse
"All of the sudden, Mick [Jagger] just said to me, “Waddy, come here, you’ve got to play on this song.” I went, “What?” He said, “Yeah, you gotta do the Keith stuff on this song. He doesn’t want to do it.” Or something like that. I went, “Really? Oh, okay.” So I did the Keith stuff!"

That has to be SOM, best/most memorable guitar part on a Stones record for decades !

It is a bit, how to say it, ackward that the dudes are making a Rolling Stones track and someone else than Keith (or even Ronnie or Mick himself) is there doing a pure Keith Richards-sounding guitar contribution. I mean, from the point of Waddy - good for him, but still that might have sounded odd for him - acting Keith to Mick... And then they make a video of it with Keith mimicking the guitar part...

But with the Stones anything is possible. I guess it was one of those days/times The Twins had a bit tension between them. Thinking of "Saint Of Me" - a pretty classical sounding Stones tune - it is hard to think that Keith refused to play because the tune wasn't right sort of thing (as it seemingly has been the case sometimes). Sounds more like it was a general 'fvck you, Mick' mood or something... those brothers...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-24 11:09 by Doxa.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 24, 2021 19:25

It seems that during the making of BTB there were lot of musicians involved in the process. It is a case of a "record" for the Stones? Was it an experimemt? The more the better?
I love BTB the record, the US tour , the"Double Door" gig club in Chicago.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 24, 2021 19:27

Doxa
gotdablouse

It is a bit, how to say it, ackward that the dudes are making a Rolling Stones track and someone else than Keith (or even Ronnie or Mick himself) is there doing a pure Keith Richards-sounding guitar contribution. I mean, from the point of Waddy - good for him, but still that might have sounded odd for him - acting Keith to Mick... And then they make a video of it with Keith mimicking the guitar part...

But with the Stones anything is possible. I guess it was one of those days/times The Twins had a bit tension between them. Thinking of "Saint Of Me" - a pretty classical sounding Stones tune - it is hard to think that Keith refused to play because the tune wasn't right sort of thing (as it seemingly has been the case sometimes). Sounds more like it was a general 'fvck you, Mick' mood or something... those brothers...grinning smiley

- Doxa

If it was a toss off to Mick because of the production value for Keith not being on Saint... I've wondered, if Mick were to really use his head, why didn't they just track all the songs with the band and then... do the Dust Brothers etc stuff after.

That way, Keith is on it. Saint is no different than if it was just the Stones doing it straight up.

Doesn't matter now. As it is Keith has had to play it live quite a bit here and there. So that's what he gets. Not the first time a Stone has had to play live on something he didn't record on at the time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1500
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home