Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Steve Jordan talk
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 27, 2023 07:48

I have no problem with Steve Jordan's drumming, especially on Hackney Diamonds. The drums kind of stood out as not so great on ABB, probably due to the way they were recorded, not the way Charlie sounded live. On Hackney is the best rhythm section since Steel Wheels. Even Andrew Watt's bass playing is better than anything they've had on record in a long time. I think Steve gives them a boost.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 28, 2023 02:13

24FPS
I have no problem with Steve Jordan's drumming, especially on Hackney Diamonds. The drums kind of stood out as not so great on ABB, probably due to the way they were recorded, not the way Charlie sounded live. On Hackney is the best rhythm section since Steel Wheels. Even Andrew Watt's bass playing is better than anything they've had on record in a long time. I think Steve gives them a boost.

Perfectly said. I agree with every single word.

Honestly, I don't understand people here complaining about HD like "Oh, Charlie would have done this or that differently" - of course he would have. Thing is, he is not amongst us anymore! The Stones were never the same after Brian left. They were never the same after Mick Taylor left. They were never the same after Bill left. And of course they are not the same after Charlie's demise. How can they be?

But, the Stones are still here. Instead of endlessly beweeping what's gone and will never come back, imo it's wiser to accept the change and listen with fresh ears. Otherwise, one might miss a helluva lot of great music!

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: November 28, 2023 02:49

retired_dog
24FPS

Perfectly said. I agree with every single word.

Honestly, I don't understand people here complaining about HD like "Oh, Charlie would have done this or that differently" - of course he would have. Thing is, he is not amongst us anymore! The Stones were never the same after Brian left. They were never the same after Mick Taylor left. They were never the same after Bill left. And of course they are not the same after Charlie's demise. How can they be?

But, the Stones are still here. Instead of endlessly beweeping what's gone and will never come back, imo it's wiser to accept the change and listen with fresh ears. Otherwise, one might miss a helluva lot of great music!
thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: November 28, 2023 03:01

I've drummed for 35 years and Charlie was the reason I started.

Steve is a great drummer and a good fit with the Stone's, although there are others that could do as well.

There is a thing Charlie and Keith do that locks them together in a subtle give and take. Keith doesn't exclusively follow Charlie or him Keith. Live, sometimes one pushes or pulls the other. It's not something everyone can notice, It's organic and collaborative.

Steve, is more straight ahead to my ears. He sets the tempo and Keith mostly follows. Some Winos live stuff felt a bit organic but mostly Steve drive it once it gets rolling. It's not wrong, drive the song and keep timing tight. Steve can do the hi hat lift but it's nothing like Charlie does. Steve's fills are way better though.

Steve's a great choice but I can tell the difference easily and Charlie had something special in his feel, high hat work, the roll, the groove and space.

Hackney, only thing is steves snare tone is thumpy and generic, likely good long term but Charlie's snare on his 2, sounds way better to my ears, crack, snares and just enough ring. Not sure Steve's Hackney kit but is high tom is likely a 12" but it's tuned like a 10", love the sound of it but it's quite un Stone's like.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-28 03:09 by Markdog.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1974
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home