Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rock 'n Roll Circus December 11th 1968.
Date: August 3, 2021 11:07

terraplane
I think it is a better listening experience than it is a visual experience.

JJF - Sounds cool but suffers from no audible second guitar. It comes to life when Nicky Hopkin's keyboard comes in at the outro.

Parachute Woman - Great but they should have let Brian play the harp as that was his greatest strength.

No Expectations - Worth buying the CD/DVD just for this.

YCAGWYW - Great. I like this better than the versions they did later with Mick Taylor.

Sympathy - It is great.

Salt of the Earth - Throwaway. They should have ditched this and included one of their earlier blues covers like King Bee, etc

They did Route 66 and Confessing The Blues, though. Would have been great to hear how those tunes sounded.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 3, 2021 11:32

Agree. They excelled at those kinds of tunes.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 3, 2021 11:42

Also rumored to have
rehearsed Johnson's - Walking Blues ......... mmmmmmmmmmmm

ROCKMAN

Date: August 3, 2021 14:45

Rockman
Also rumored to have
rehearsed Johnson's - Walking Blues ......... mmmmmmmmmmmm

A song Taj included on his debut album round that time.

A jam with Taj? smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 3, 2021 22:07

Heck yeah Dandeeeeee...never thought of that ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: August 4, 2021 04:48

Mathijs
ovalvox
yearsinthemaking
My take is completely different. You have a band that hadn't played live in a year and a half playing songs that were completely new handcuffed by only one person playing guitar in front of an audience that wasn't just a bunch of screaming teens. I think it's amazing. The colors are wonderful and a perfect capturing of the late 60's coming of age Stones. Keith was proving he was a guitar player at his technical best from this point through the 1971 tour (where his playing reached it's absolute zenith). Mick was not perfect but it was a totally new experience. The quality of the filming was great (I believe by the BBC but not sure). Overall I think it captures a moment in time that could never be recreated. It reached a legendary status because of the delayed release but I believe it is wonderful!!!!

A prominent member of this forum isolated Brian’s guitar and indeed proved he played and played properly. It’s on YouTube. He even demonstrated the parts Brian played.

What was shown that Brian did play guitar, whereas it was believed (also by me) that he didn't play at all, or that his amp was off. What was also shown was that what Brian played was just incredible simple, and for parts off, awkward and strange.

Mathijs

Explain No Expectation then. Very audible. There are two guitars in every song but Sympathy and the Brian Jones Resource brought it out. Certainly not Keith overdubs or it would have been more audible and better played. Brian even makes the same mistake twice in Flash. He goes into the chord to early. That’s how I knew Brian was playing. Not great but like you said simple parts. Enough to get them through the song without screwing it up. Plus with the many takes of each song he probably did screw up. This concert or special whatever it is called is now a legendary classic. One of the reasons is because of Brian Jones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-04 04:49 by ovalvox.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 4, 2021 17:43

ovalvox
Mathijs
ovalvox
yearsinthemaking
My take is completely different. You have a band that hadn't played live in a year and a half playing songs that were completely new handcuffed by only one person playing guitar in front of an audience that wasn't just a bunch of screaming teens. I think it's amazing. The colors are wonderful and a perfect capturing of the late 60's coming of age Stones. Keith was proving he was a guitar player at his technical best from this point through the 1971 tour (where his playing reached it's absolute zenith). Mick was not perfect but it was a totally new experience. The quality of the filming was great (I believe by the BBC but not sure). Overall I think it captures a moment in time that could never be recreated. It reached a legendary status because of the delayed release but I believe it is wonderful!!!!

A prominent member of this forum isolated Brian’s guitar and indeed proved he played and played properly. It’s on YouTube. He even demonstrated the parts Brian played.

What was shown that Brian did play guitar, whereas it was believed (also by me) that he didn't play at all, or that his amp was off. What was also shown was that what Brian played was just incredible simple, and for parts off, awkward and strange.

Mathijs

Explain No Expectation then. Very audible. There are two guitars in every song but Sympathy and the Brian Jones Resource brought it out. Certainly not Keith overdubs or it would have been more audible and better played. Brian even makes the same mistake twice in Flash. He goes into the chord to early. That’s how I knew Brian was playing. Not great but like you said simple parts. Enough to get them through the song without screwing it up. Plus with the many takes of each song he probably did screw up. This concert or special whatever it is called is now a legendary classic. One of the reasons is because of Brian Jones.

I don't understand what you are trying to say. Of course he is on No Expectations, which I find a very mediocre performance by all, including a shaky Brian. It wasn't until the sound files of His Majesty that I heard what Brian was playing on the other tracks.

Mathijs

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 4, 2021 17:54

Mathijs
ovalvox
Mathijs
ovalvox
yearsinthemaking

Mathijs

I don't understand what you are trying to say. Of course he is on No Expectations, which I find a very mediocre performance by all, including a shaky Brian. It wasn't until the sound files of His Majesty that I heard what Brian was playing on the other tracks.

Mathijs
If No Expectations at the Rock n Roll Circus is mediocre, what rating would you give to Ron Wood era live performances.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 4, 2021 21:53

I remember discussions here years ago regarding YCAGWYW from Circus. On the 25x5 vhs video, you can clearly hear two guitars at the beginning of the song so I was surprised when the actual Circus DVD came out, you couldn't hear Brian's part.
Sources said that on the 25x5 video, Keith overdubbed that part, not sure if it's true or not.

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: August 6, 2021 19:40

Sorry didn’t see the did until you italicized it.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 11, 2021 13:30

DandelionPowderman

I know. I just mentioned the Supreme as an important part of his 1966-68-sound from that era.

It's linked to a Vox Conqueror or Supreme through a 1x18 Foundation cab on our right. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-11 13:32 by His Majesty.

Date: August 11, 2021 13:39

I like some aspects of the circus, but it's just blatantly obvious they need a new guitar player.

For me, Brian should just not have bothered turning up or he should have raised his game if only for the sake of his own legacy.

The sense of relief from Keith at the end of No Expectations is palpable. Brian comes to life during Parachute Woman, basically giving us that ol' 64 stones R&R rhythm that he played on just about everything that year, but his parts for JJF & especially YCAGWYW. Oh dear.

Still, Mick is on fire in Performance/Turner mode and Keith looks cool as @#$%& and aside from some weedy soloing also plays and sounds cool as @#$%& as well.

I can see and hear why they shelved it.

Date: August 11, 2021 14:49

DGA35
I remember discussions here years ago regarding YCAGWYW from Circus. On the 25x5 vhs video, you can clearly hear two guitars at the beginning of the song so I was surprised when the actual Circus DVD came out, you couldn't hear Brian's part.
Sources said that on the 25x5 video, Keith overdubbed that part, not sure if it's true or not.

Yes, probably as an attempt at a salvage job Keith over dubbed an acoustic on to YCAGWYW. This overdubbed version was on 25X5, but thankfully not on the official circus release which is free of overdubs.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 11, 2021 14:54

His Majesty
I like some aspects of the circus, but it's just blatantly obvious they need a new guitar player.

For me, Brian should just not have bothered turning up or he should have raised his game if only for the sake of his own legacy.

The sense of relief from Keith at the end of No Expectations is palpable. Brian comes to life during Parachute Woman, basically giving us that ol' 64 stones R&R rhythm that he played on just about everything that year, but his parts for JJF & especially YCAGWYW. Oh dear.

Still, Mick is on fire in Performance/Turner mode and Keith looks cool as @#$%& and aside from some weedy soloing also plays and sounds cool as @#$%& as well.

I can see and hear why they shelved it.
How would you compare Keith’s guitar playing on stage the last 15 years to how Brian played at the Circus.

Date: August 11, 2021 15:05

Taylor1
How would you compare Keith’s guitar playing on stage the last 15 years to how Brian played at the Circus.

Hah!

Keith is still more interesting and powerful as a guitarist in recent times than what Brian offered in December 1968.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: August 11, 2021 19:55

The Stones did not pay well except for YCAGWTW.
The Who were the Who. They played a weak ridiculous song really loud. That's what they do. Always the same.

I got my shit wrecked on 12/11/1968 in music class. Some kid hit me really hard and made me cry.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1803
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home