Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What if the answer is that The Stones likes the songs they play?
Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: November 9, 2005 14:31

There has been so many threads about the set lists, and so much complaining, and I just thought: What if The Stones play the songs they do simply because they are the ones they like best?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-10 14:16 by Niklas.

Re: What if the answer is that The tones likes the songs they play?
Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: November 9, 2005 14:35

Are you implying that Keith's fave song ever is "The Worst" ?????

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 9, 2005 14:44

If those 'songs they like best' happen to be, for example, 'Sympathy for the Devil' or 'Jumpin Jack Flash' then thats quite reasonable

But if you're trying to tell me that the Stones genuinely think "You Got Me Yawning" is on the same level as those two then they've obviously lost the plot....

Date: November 9, 2005 14:44

Well, why not?

Date: November 9, 2005 14:45

I think it's quite obviously that YGMR is one of their favourites. Why on earth would they play it on every tour since VL if not?

Date: November 9, 2005 14:46

I'm sure some of the Stones like some of the songs. I don't know if Mick likes "Infamy". Or if Keith likes "Miss you". I guess there are some band members who will say what to play (if you'll play mine I'll play yours).

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 9, 2005 14:47

Wasn't there a Mick's top ten, Keith's top ten, Ronnie's top ten and Charlie's top ten Stones songs in Uncut a few years ago?

Date: November 9, 2005 14:49

they might like playing it because it gets a certain level of 'reaction' that works in a live setting

"liking it the best" is another thing entirely.

I read a few years back that Mick isnt that keen on "Street Fighting Man". They've still managed to perform it several hundred times down the years, though...

Date: November 9, 2005 14:49

Sure there are four people to decide, so the list is a mix of their personal favourites, but since they have lik 20 or so warhorses they choose from on every tour, I just think it has to do with what they like.

Date: November 9, 2005 14:57

Not sure its that simple, Niklas. If they're putting a 'show' together, a lot depends on what they believe will work when playing in front of 50,000 or 20,000 people. The presentation and pacing of a concert is a big factor.

and the setlist from night to night is basically drawn up between Mick and Chuck with some input from Keith. The last word is with Mick and depends on whether or not he feels up to singing certain songs. If anything, from what I've read in interviews over the last few years, Chuck is more likely to encourage them to try something different. Mick tends to like to play it safer.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: November 9, 2005 15:38

I remember reading in an interview some years back that Keith's favourite songs are Jumping Jack Flash & Street Fighting Man. He said something like: "I could play those two for hours on end, if it wasn't for my fingers starting to bleed."
And at the end of the interview: "And add Gimme Shelter to the list."

I thinkk it was in a dutch magazine. Anyone remembers?

e.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: November 9, 2005 16:29

Who are the "tones"?

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: November 9, 2005 16:46

The reason they go with "You Got Me Rockin'" is that they see it as their most recent crowd pleaser and are desperate to infuse the set with some latter-day material.

It's a shame that they aren't more dilligent with "Out Of Control," which seems to me to be their most recent live triumph.

Still, as mediocre as "Got Me Rockin'" is, I appreciate that the Stones are trying to do material more recent than the twenty-four year old "Start Me Up."

To me, they always get more integrity points for doing latter-day songs that are NOT merely part of flogging a new record. It shows that they are truly committed to recent material and not simply promoting new product from the stage.

Re: the Stones like the songs they play
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 9, 2005 17:57

as Gazza notes, all kinds of different factors can make a number feel good to play, and a lot of the factors are real variable: what the band (collectively, individually) feels up to - getting into a groove - pacing the show and themselves - promoting an album - audience expectations/reactions - the pursuit of a musical challenge like ... oh say like a three-way harmony between two singers and a pedal steel.

like TD, YGMR pretty clearly just plain feels good to play.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1283
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home