Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stripped
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: November 7, 2005 14:21

Again and again when we rush through posts here, and we are rattling off the post SW output; the last period, we all seem to forget to mention this most excellent album. I too forget about it oo often. It was released kind of quietly; by Stones tsandards at least LOL. And it is an understated affair. One of the times Jagger agrees to underplay it and comes away winning.
So many good moments on here. What are some of the fave passages here?
Street Fighting Man is one of rare times in the post 89 Stonesworld that I get shivers still.
Keith's tuning and phrasings for "Wild Horses" are nothing short of beautiful.

Re: Stripped
Date: November 7, 2005 14:44

I had to answer my own posts for a sec. The version of Love in Vain is interesting. Keith has to start it over. And he is obviously playing right htne and there in the studio. No click track baloney.. I bet you could set a click track to him. His beat is just impeccable in the picking. He might vary within the bar, but that one is always right there on the one! That man is good.
And Ron..his slide solo is really cool, no? But I often wonder: these tunes like LIV, ADTL, many others. He is basically riffing on Taylor's original melodies. because Taylor was such a strong solist, that many of his lines are hummable. I wonder what LIV would sound like todaym had Ron never heard Tayloir's phrasings.
Needless to say: this is in no form or fashion to be a Ron/Taylor debate.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 7, 2005 14:49

Hey Chelsea check this list of tracks played at EMI Toshiba Building Tokyo....Bold ones made it on album...a few made it to Stripped boots but what about some of the other gems such as Make No Mistake a Keith solo...Holly's Heartbeat and Presley's I'm Left, Your Right, She's Gone...imagine hearing them!!!....aaahhh heaven..

Japanese Stones People Magazine #69

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: November 7, 2005 14:56

was The last time from this session ever released? If yes on which boot can I find it?

Date: November 7, 2005 15:01

No sadly no...aaahhh

ROCKMAN

Date: November 7, 2005 15:10

Wonder what "Heartbeat"is.

Date: November 7, 2005 15:12

A Buddy Holly song.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: nmaillot ()
Date: November 7, 2005 16:22

Parachute Woman !
Can it be found somewhere ?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 7, 2005 16:37

ow ow ow - You're Right I'm Left She's Gone, ohhh how i yearn to hear that!
sigh! but meanwhile, what they *have* let us hear from these sessions is pure joy:
the sound of 35 years of doing what you love best together ...

(there's a Keith rendition of Heartbeat on the so-called Honeymoon Tapes, by the way - that's some comfort!)

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: kait ()
Date: November 7, 2005 20:41

On "Stripped Companion" you can find
- Honest I do (official release on the hope floats soundtrack)
- Let's spend the night together
- No expectations
- Beast of burden
- Memory motel
- Let it bleed (short version from the tv-special)

I wonder why the missing tracks (parachute...) have never seen
the light of day on any disc????

with sssoul:
keith's honeymoon tapes are great; especially his versions
of wild horses & no expectations

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 7, 2005 21:02

I like the Stripped versions of both "Wild Horses" and "Angie" better than the studio versions.

Date: November 7, 2005 21:11

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the Stripped versions of both "Wild Horses"
> and "Angie" better than the studio versions.

Likewise Elmo, I feel that way about most of the entire album. Stripped is outstanding and I would love it if the Stones were to perform and release "Stripped" versions of many of their other songs.

With all respect to Rarities, I would much prefer additional material in a "Stripped" format.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 7, 2005 21:19

I agree Elmo...they are both PERFECT in every way.

I really think, in some ways, that the Stones hit a peak of sorts during the Voodoo Lounge album/tour...they had an almost perfect storm of sorts:

- A very good, solid, un-gimmicky, back-to-basics album
- A monstrous world tour with a killer stage
- Some brilliant European club shows (Paradiso, Olympia, etc.)
- Performing on MTV VMA's and receiving a lifetime achievement award (it seemed okay to like the Stones again)
- A Grammy for best rock album
- A favorable 60 Minutes piece
- A well-regarded live album (for a change) that did something different

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: November 7, 2005 22:08

I've always liked Little Baby from Stripped. That song just sticks in my head for some reason.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 7, 2005 22:28

Stones, Stonissimo I would say. "Stripped" shows the ingenious Stones. I want to hear more from this period. The concert tapes (e.g. "Street Fightung Man") on "Stripped" are perfect both in sound and interpretation. The only disadvantage of this album is that it is too short. "Stripped Companion" has the same standard, but if I read that there are more songs I want to hear them too.

Date: November 8, 2005 00:15

Street Fighting Man is remarkable on Stripped. Those acoustic guitars just ROAR! It's amazing how aggressively Keith attacks his strings. Supremely badass.

All Down The Line (B-side on Like A Rolling Stone) smokes! Ronnie plays some scorching slide and hits an impossibly high note at one point.

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: November 8, 2005 04:49

Stripped is one of my favorite albums. I think its incredible. Glad you all like as much. James

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 8, 2005 05:32

I only got hold of this album recently. It seemed entirely besides the point when it came out... I still don't understand what it's supposed to be, exactly, but it is an enjoyable listen regardless.

That keith "false start" bit actually kind of annoys me... the second time through doesn't sound as good, he's more off than he was the first time, which was perfectly fine. I guess he figured he couldn't start it over a _third_ time.

It's interesting to hear mick's vocals on this album -- he sounds kind of weak, IMO. He must have taken great pains to improve his vocal stamina in the years since.

cc

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: November 8, 2005 12:30

Interesting points there cc.
I think Micks sings really, really good on Stripped. It was one of the first things i noticed when listening to it.
The false intro on Love in Vain is funny but can get a bit anoying when you are listening to the whole cd. He surely misses some notes there on the G chord so he starts over and does it better IMO.

Street Fighting man is awesome. Ronnie does the opening chords right?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Husky ()
Date: November 8, 2005 16:58

There's actually two versions of 'Wild Horses' from the 'Stripped' Tokyo sessions - one on the album/TV special, the other (favouring electric guitars rather than acoustic) turned up unannounced on the VGP boot from Dusseldorf June 24 1998 'ICH MÖCHTE EUCH BIS NACH KÖLN HÖREN' as a bonus track and is very good.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: November 8, 2005 17:02

Love In Vain... they should have left the @#$%&-up out! First time it's funny, but after one or two times it gets really annoying.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 8, 2005 18:48

Wuudy, I think mick sings really well on the album, considering that his voice doesn't sound very strong. I mean, he works it like a pro, a lot of subtlety, but there's not much tone there. He sounds more like an old man to me on this album than anywhere else. I'm guessing that maybe he only started taking care of his vocal cords around this time. His voice nowadays still lacks the lower register he used to have, but the upper registers sound smoother.

I'd have to dig it out to hear who's playing the opening chords.

cc

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: November 9, 2005 00:22

Here's something I posted back on May 28:

"Now, let me submit this thought--the addition of the tracks from "Stripped Companion" would have made a great album to document the 1995 gigs, or alternatively, "Stripped" could easily have been a 2-CD set. One CD, studio, with the outstanding revisitations of the old catalog, and the second CD for a representative live performance of the club gigs.

Here's a notional setlist for the club gig CD, using the two sources ("Stripped" and "Stripped Companion"):

1. Street Fighting Man (starting w/acoustic guitars)
2. All Down The Line (switching into full electric glory)
3. Live With Me (Darryl's bass--woo!)
4. Black Limousine (not played since '82, one of my favorites)
5. Let It Bleed (back to the acoustic section)
6. Angie
7. Dead Flowers
8. Sweet Virginia
9. Shine A Light (surprise!)
10. Like A Rolling Stone (the "new" song heh heh)
11. Gimme Shelter (absolutely killer)
12. Rip This Joint (what a finish!)"

Date: November 9, 2005 03:00

The fact that Gimme Shelter, All Down The Line and Rip This Joint were left off "Stripped" is criminal. "Stripped" rocks as it is, but my god, it would easily have been their best (semi-)live album after Ya-Ya's, no question.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 9, 2005 03:05

If they had put all of those songs on a cd I would have bought it.

Posted by: Devyn ()
Date: November 9, 2005 05:34

For anone who loves "Stripped" or "Stripped Companion" I strongly suggest searching eBay for a copy of the "Stripped DVD". It'S basically a copy of the VH1 show, plug seveal bonuses. It's like hangin w/ the Stones in the studio, think I'll did it out and watch it now.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 9, 2005 09:25

"criminal" - this is so weird ...
they sold Stripped (the album) as a normal release; they gave us the video and Stripped Companion for free.

"What do you want - what?!" - KR, 1973

- 1975, courtesy BrownEyedGirll

Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: November 9, 2005 10:24

Hey i have heard Stripped and i love SFM and I love the sound of the album. Also i heard the Gimmie Shelter on a stripped video once. Man it was simply the best version ever!

So I would like to have this Stripped Companion. Where can i get it? Is it an offical release? Can I order or is there somewhere I can download? Especially Gimmie Shelter. Got to have it!

Posted by: Devyn ()
Date: November 9, 2005 21:27

The audio outtake version of "Gimme Shelter" from "Stripped' sessions is available as a B side, (there are actually 4 songs) on the "Wild Horses" EP released about the same time as "Stripped". Also on this EP is a great acapela (sp?) version of " Tumbling Dice" This should be readily availabe, I'd check Amazon. "Stripped Companion" is strickly a bootleg and available from the usual suspects.

Date: November 9, 2005 22:20

I have the Wild Horses EP..."Gimme Shelter" is a live track from the Paradiso gig though, not an outtake.

Tumblin' Dice starts as just a studio jam with just Mick and Chuck (?) on piano, and then it merges into a full-band live version after the first chorus.

The EP also has a live version of "Live With Me" that is absolutely smoking. Darryl's intro bassline is loud and heavy as hell.

As far as using the word "criminal"...I just think Stripped could have been even stronger with the inclusion of these amazing live cuts...having them relegated to MTV specials and B-sides just seems wrong.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1647
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home