Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: 1975 Tour Legacy. What Happened?
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 5, 2021 02:25

24FPS
And of course it all could depend on what show you hear. Most of us only know the show that was released on DVD, one of the L.A. shows. One of those nights is supposed to be legendary. It was assumed to '78 tour was a bust until the Texas DVD was released. Obviously we need a larger sample to draw from.

true, truth.

plexi

Date: April 5, 2021 02:39

24FPS
Times change. The hard rocking Stones of '72 gave way to the '75 disco, elegantly wasted Stones. The music was too serious for the times, so camp it up. Just like '78 had a punk edge to it. By '81 they said, screw it, let's just give them a good time.

Disco didn't become a thing til after 75. And they showed plenty of elegant waste in 72-73. That just continued in 75 with a slightly different cast of characters.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-05 02:41 by timbernardis.

Date: April 5, 2021 02:43

dimtim
Yes I was at the Seattle July 18 show. It was my first Rolling Stones concert and 2nd concert ever (which was Deep Purple).

I was 15 years and it is still my favorite concert of all time after hundreds of shows and 50+ Rolling Stones shows including the Hard Rock concert at The Joint and Echoplex . Completely blew my mind.

you've got a great board name.

plexi

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 5, 2021 05:31

Mathijs
dcba

I agree. Imho in 75 the band (or Mick?) made one mistake : thinking they had to compensate for the loss of MT by playing much longer gigs.That led to gigs that sometimes lacked some energy (the punishing tour schedule didn't help...).

2Hrs top was more than enough for me. Leave the silly live marathons to Yes or Led Balloon.

They were just following the trend of the mid-70's -everybody was playing much longer than before. Zep was playing 4 hour shows, with half hour drum solo's and half hour Theremin bullshit...

The music industry simply became much more an entertainment industry instead of the art form it was before. People paid more for tickets, and expected to be entertained and get value. They started selling popcorn and soda in the isles of the 1975 shows!

Mathijs

As an avid concert goer during the 1970's, I would agree with your assessment. Several shows I attended of various artists were more about spectacle and entertainment than purely the musical content.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-05 05:32 by Sighunt.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 5, 2021 05:45

Drugs. Exhaustion. Working in a new guitarist. Didn't have anything to prove, or great new songs to show off.
Also the idea that people a year from then, let along 45 years later would even remember these shows would have been unfathomable. A rock and roll show was disposable. Rock it up, move on.
Now we've got rock stars recording every show, which are scripted and rehearsed to make them mannered and sentimental.
I think they could have done better without the drugs, exhaustion and working in a new guitarist, but hey, it's only rock an roll.

Date: April 5, 2021 09:00

Why is it on the IORR Tell Me boards that two tours exactly 30 years apart come in for criticism -- TOTA '75 and ABB 2005-2007?

plexi

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: April 5, 2021 16:38

wonderboy
Drugs. Exhaustion. Working in a new guitarist. Didn't have anything to prove, or great new songs to show off.
Also the idea that people a year from then, let along 45 years later would even remember these shows would have been unfathomable. A rock and roll show was disposable. Rock it up, move on.
Now we've got rock stars recording every show, which are scripted and rehearsed to make them mannered and sentimental.
I think they could have done better without the drugs, exhaustion and working in a new guitarist, but hey, it's only rock an roll.

i think they actually DID have great new songs to debut live - IORR, ain't too proud to beg, dance little sister, if you cant rock me, fingerprint file, luxury--it's basically the IORR tour....have they EVER debuted more songs from a latest record?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 5, 2021 18:13

hbwriter
wonderboy

i think they actually DID have great new songs to debut live - IORR, ain't too proud to beg, dance little sister, if you cant rock me, fingerprint file, luxury--it's basically the IORR tour....have they EVER debuted more songs from a latest record?

I agree hbwriter concerning the '75 tour...but if memory serves 8/10 songs
of Some Girls debuted during the '78 tour...

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: April 5, 2021 19:38

shortfatfanny
hbwriter
wonderboy

right-exactly right- i was talking about up until that point but yes SG was the ultimate reveal smiling smiley

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: April 5, 2021 21:42

hbwriter
wonderboy

They did not play Luxury and Dance Little Sister every show did they?

Or Ain't t too proud to beg?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-05 21:45 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 5, 2021 22:00

Four Stone Walls
They did not play Luxury and Dance Little Sister every show did they?
Or Ain't t too proud to beg?

Ain't Too Proud To Beg was played at every show. The other two only a few times.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 5, 2021 23:14

hbwriter
shortfatfanny
hbwriter
wonderboy

right-exactly right- i was talking about up until that point but yes SG was the ultimate reveal smiling smiley

Right. But you could call the '81 tour a runner-up, as it included 6 songs from Tattoo You plus another 2 from Emotional Rescue that had never been played live before,

Date: April 6, 2021 00:24

The previous album had had 4 consistent new ones, with at least one more tried early on.

And Tattoo You did pretty well - although those were 2-album tours!

Anyway, not quantity but quality!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-06 00:28 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 6, 2021 21:26

loog droog
hbwriter
shortfatfanny
hbwriter
wonderboy

Right. But you could call the '81 tour a runner-up, as it included 6 songs from Tattoo You plus another 2 from Emotional Rescue that had never been played live before,
That was the regret for me that they did not tour in support of Emotional Rescue as that album was full of awesome tunes ( go ahead Y'all and critize me now ) Dance Pt1 , Summer Romance, Emotional Rescue , Down in the Hole , Send It To Me , Where The Boys Go ( kind of cheesey ) All About You ( an absolute Keef Gem ! ) She's So Cold ( one of my Stones favorites )

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-07 13:54 by TheGreek.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: April 6, 2021 23:03

Steel Wheels tour:
1 "Sad Sad Sad"
2 "Rock and a Hard Place"
3 "Mixed Emotions"
4 "Almost Hear You Sigh" (Jagger/Richards/Jordan)
5 "Blinded By Love"
6 "Can't Be Seen"
7 "Terrifying"
8 "Continental Drift" :-)

TheGreek
loog droog
hbwriter
shortfatfanny
hbwriter

That was the regret for me that they did not tour in support of Emotional Rescue as that album was full of awesome tunes ( go ahead Y'all and critize me now ) Dance Pt1 , Summer Romance, Emotional Rescue , Down in the Hole , Send It To Me , Where The Boys Go ( kind of cheesey ) All About Eve ( an absolute Keef Gem ! ) She's So Cold ( one of my Stones favorites )

Date: April 7, 2021 01:36

TheGreek
loog droog
hbwriter
shortfatfanny
hbwriter
wonderboy

That was the regret for me that they did not tour in support of Emotional Rescue as that album was full of awesome tunes ( go ahead Y'all and critize me now ) Dance Pt1 , Summer Romance, Emotional Rescue , Down in the Hole , Send It To Me , Where The Boys Go ( kind of cheesey ) All About Eve ( an absolute Keef Gem ! ) She's So Cold ( one of my Stones favorites )

Yes, that was disappointing for me too - no tour after ER album - because US got Some girls your.
Europe could have had an ER + SG tour.

And you wanted some criticism? Well, I liked the album as a whole but WTBG and Summer Romance are a bit throwaway by SG standards.
Was going to criticize your live choices - but hey, why not play all those? It would have been a gas. Let me Go was a good live number of course. So that just leaves Little Indian Girl. Tricky!

smoking smileyRe: 1975 Tour Legacy. What Happened?
Date: April 7, 2021 13:53

Four Stone Walls
TheGreek
loog droog
hbwriter
shortfatfanny
hbwriter
wonderboy

Yes, that was disappointing for me too - no tour after ER album - because US got Some girls your.

And you wanted some criticism? Well, I liked the album as a whole but WTBG and Summer Romance are a bit throwaway by SG standards.
Was going to criticize your live choices - but hey, why not play all those? It would have been a gas. Let me Go was a good live number of course. So that just leaves Little Indian Girl. Tricky!
Notice I did not include Indian girl . As that was the clunker IMHO on Emotional Rescue . Too darn bad as this was from a very fertile period in songwriting for the Glimmer Twins. 1977 -80 . I wonder if Mick ever looked back and said it was a wasted oppurtunity to tour in light of no tours from 83 till 89 ? The Stones should have toured in 1984 as well for Undercover , but that was at the height of the cold war . Heck while I am on a roll a Dirty Work tour would have been fun as well . Think of all the catchy marketing slogans and the tour merchandise with Dirty Work branded all over them ? That would have been cool , and who knows maybe the Twins would have included some raunchy R&B tunes in the set list as well ? I got to stop going down memory lane and all the fun back in the 80's because it really was a gas gas

Re: smoking smileyRe: 1975 Tour Legacy. What Happened?
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 7, 2021 14:14

TheGreek
Four Stone Walls
TheGreek
loog droog
hbwriter
shortfatfanny
hbwriter
wonderboy

Notice I did not include Indian girl . As that was the clunker IMHO on Emotional Rescue . Too darn bad as this was from a very fertile period in songwriting for the Glimmer Twins. 1977 -80 . I wonder if Mick ever looked back and said it was a wasted oppurtunity to tour in light of no tours from 83 till 89 ? The Stones should have toured in 1984 as well for Undercover , but that was at the height of the cold war . Heck while I am on a roll a Dirty Work tour would have been fun as well . Think of all the catchy marketing slogans and the tour merchandise with Dirty Work branded all over them ? That would have been cool , and who knows maybe the Twins would have included some raunchy R&B tunes in the set list as well ? I got to stop going down memory lane and all the fun back in the 80's because it really was a gas gas

ER is 10 outta ten album IMHO. They should've played Let Me Go in the same sleay, king crawling tempo as done on the record. Europe should have got a proper ER tour, I agree! A bit like No Filter 17/18.

Date: April 7, 2021 19:55

MadMax
TheGreek
Four Stone Walls
TheGreek
loog droog
hbwriter
shortfatfanny
hbwriter
wonderboy

ER is 10 outta ten album IMHO. They should've played Let Me Go in the same sleay, king crawling tempo as done on the record. Europe should have got a proper ER tour, I agree! A bit like No Filter 17/18.
It was super cool that in 1981 they performed She's So Cold and Let Me Go . Quite a shock to me that they did not perform Summer Romance or Down In the Hole during the 81 tour . Also if I am in a rant - no Slave performance ever ! That is a major crime in my book .[www.youtube.com] Slave first version with vocals and very long version .It says it was recorded in 1975 . Billy Preston is on this track .The sax sure sounds like the late great Sonny Rollins , but I can't be sure as I thought he was brought in late 80 or early 81 for that famous killer sax solo ? I hear Keith on the fill before the sax as I was wondering who is on guitar besides Keith ? Maybe it's all keith ? Such a missed oppurtunity to this Stones fan that we were never given a proper performance . The guitar solo at the 9:17 mark has me scratching my head as I know most of it's Keith but there wan another phrase that could be some one else ? Maybe Ronnie ? or Harvey Mandel ? Wayne Perkins ? I have a bootleg CD at home from 74 and I forget if these sessions took place in Rotterdam or Munich ? So the CD boot that I have has Jeff Beck on it ! Check out this article -[ultimateclassicrock.com]. About Jeff Beck recollection of this ! That would have been one heck of a show and tour to see Jeff Beck in Mick Taylor's place in 1975 . I totally went off the rails talking about Slave and that is the perfect example of how much joy and ecstasy that the Rolling Stones give me and still do to this very day .

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 8, 2021 04:52

I don't have the impression they were excited about their new songs on the 1975 tour.
Not like '69 or '72. Even on the SG tour they had something to prove and some great tracks.

Date: April 8, 2021 09:11

TheGreek
MadMax
TheGreek
Four Stone Walls
TheGreek
loog droog
hbwriter
shortfatfanny
hbwriter
wonderboy

It was super cool that in 1981 they performed She's So Cold and Let Me Go . Quite a shock to me that they did not perform Summer Romance or Down In the Hole during the 81 tour . Also if I am in a rant - no Slave performance ever ! That is a major crime in my book .[www.youtube.com] Slave first version with vocals and very long version .It says it was recorded in 1975 . Billy Preston is on this track .The sax sure sounds like the late great Sonny Rollins , but I can't be sure as I thought he was brought in late 80 or early 81 for that famous killer sax solo ? I hear Keith on the fill before the sax as I was wondering who is on guitar besides Keith ? Maybe it's all keith ? Such a missed oppurtunity to this Stones fan that we were never given a proper performance . The guitar solo at the 9:17 mark has me scratching my head as I know most of it's Keith but there wan another phrase that could be some one else ? Maybe Ronnie ? or Harvey Mandel ? Wayne Perkins ? I have a bootleg CD at home from 74 and I forget if these sessions took place in Rotterdam or Munich ? So the CD boot that I have has Jeff Beck on it ! Check out this article -[ultimateclassicrock.com]. About Jeff Beck recollection of this ! That would have been one heck of a show and tour to see Jeff Beck in Mick Taylor's place in 1975 . I totally went off the rails talking about Slave and that is the perfect example of how much joy and ecstasy that the Rolling Stones give me and still do to this very day .

I am glad they do.

plexi

Date: April 8, 2021 13:38

timbernardis
TheGreek
MadMax
TheGreek
Four Stone Walls
TheGreek
loog droog
hbwriter
shortfatfanny
hbwriter
wonderboy

I am glad they do.

plexi
The thing about it is it just creeps up on me when I am least expecting it to and it just brings me back to my youth and it feels like a reawakening . It just comes out of nowhere . Like as a kid riding in Dad's car and messing with the radio and hearing Satisfaction and not knowing my thumb or much and just thinking that song sounds like fun . This is when I was in early grade school like 5 years old . Then around 69 -70 hearing the Let It be album, and discovering Elvis . Then bringing it all back to the Stones , due to heavy Radio air play . Then fast forward to 77 when I would hand out with my friend Bruce and his sister( who was older by a few years ) was always blasting the Love You Live album and I was like that sounds really good and purchased the double live album and the Following year Some Girls album came out and it just blew my mind away as it still does to this day hot smiley

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: April 9, 2021 13:44

Turning back to the thread I must say that I learned a lot. I Always thought the 1975 tour to be mediocre, to say the least. But now I listened to the first concerts of the tour, and they are really very good. For instance, they could have released a double album of the Boston shows, selecting the best version of each song from both Shows. Later on, it deteriorated, mainly by Mick's growling.

Posted by: yearsinthemaking ()
Date: April 9, 2021 23:19

saltoftheearth

Turning back to the thread I must say that I learned a lot. I Always thought the 1975 tour to be mediocre, to say the least. But now I listened to the first concerts of the tour, and they are really very good. For instance, they could have released a double album of the Boston shows, selecting the best version of each song from both Shows. Later on, it deteriorated, mainly by Mick's growling.

Posted by: yearsinthemaking ()
Date: April 9, 2021 23:21

I agree with that. Most of the problems with the tour as it evolved can be place at the feet of Mick

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 10, 2021 17:41

Personal 1975 Stones tour legacy ...

I recall only that I was there at the Spectrum in Philly in 1975. I was eighteen.
We had decent seats on the floor. Unfortunately I cant't remember anything. I was probably wasted.

What Happened?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 10, 2021 17:51

schillid

I recall only that I was there at the Spectrum in Philly in 1975. I was eighteen.
We had decent seats on the floor. Unfortunately I cant't remember anything. I was probably wasted.

What Happened?

I was 16 at the Seattle show..
I have vague memories... and no "probably" about it for me.. smoking smiley

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 10, 2021 18:57

schillid

What Happened?

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 11, 2021 02:30

TheGreek
MadMax
TheGreek
Four Stone Walls
TheGreek
loog droog
hbwriter
shortfatfanny
hbwriter
wonderboy

I totally agree with you about how great Slave could and would be live. One huge extended jam. With harmonica and maybe sax thrown in.

Another onein this vein I've always wanted is Stop Breaking Down.

Both with Wyman guesting of course.

But reverting to the ER non-tour. No, Little Indian Girl need not be played live.
But for me it's one of the best tracks on the album.
The worst being the wannabee rockers you first cited'and the title track itself.

But on a tour - hey yes, ok. I'll take any non-tour over no non-tour.

And yes. The '84 and '86 non-tours were great too.

I was there.

Ok, back to 1975.

Time for Bed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-11 02:36 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: April 11, 2021 05:27

Mongoose
All I know is that I was at the Greensboro NC show in 75, my very first Stones concert, and it was magnificent.

Of the 10 times I've seen the Stones, one of the best!

My first as well smileys with beer It was magnificent!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1858
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home