Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: smoking smileyRe: 1975 Tour Legacy. What Happened?
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 12, 2021 13:44

Four Stone Walls
TheGreek
MadMax
TheGreek
Four Stone Walls
TheGreek
loog droog
hbwriter
shortfatfanny
hbwriter
wonderboy
Drugs. Exhaustion. Working in a new guitarist. Didn't have anything to prove, or great new songs to show off.
Also the idea that people a year from then, let along 45 years later would even remember these shows would have been unfathomable. A rock and roll show was disposable. Rock it up, move on.

Now we've got rock stars recording every show, which are scripted and rehearsed to make them mannered and sentimental.
I think they could have done better without the drugs, exhaustion and working in a new guitarist, but hey, it's only rock an roll.

i think they actually DID have great new songs to debut live - IORR, ain't too proud to beg, dance little sister, if you cant rock me, fingerprint file, luxury--it's basically the IORR tour....have they EVER debuted more songs from a latest record?

I agree hbwriter concerning the '75 tour...but if memory serves 8/10 songs
of Some Girls debuted during the '78 tour...

right-exactly right- i was talking about up until that point but yes SG was the ultimate reveal smiling smiley

Right. But you could call the '81 tour a runner-up, as it included 6 songs from Tattoo You plus another 2 from Emotional Rescue that had never been played live before,
That was the regret for me that they did not tour in support of Emotional Rescue as that album was full of awesome tunes ( go ahead Y'all and critize me now ) Dance Pt1 , Summer Romance, Emotional Rescue , Down in the Hole , Send It To Me , Where The Boys Go ( kind of cheesey ) All About Eve ( an absolute Keef Gem ! ) She's So Cold ( one of my Stones favorites )

Yes, that was disappointing for me too - no tour after ER album - because US got Some girls your.
Europe could have had an ER + SG tour.

And you wanted some criticism? Well, I liked the album as a whole but WTBG and Summer Romance are a bit throwaway by SG standards.
Was going to criticize your live choices - but hey, why not play all those? It would have been a gas. Let me Go was a good live number of course. So that just leaves Little Indian Girl. Tricky!
Notice I did not include Indian girl . As that was the clunker IMHO on Emotional Rescue . Too darn bad as this was from a very fertile period in songwriting for the Glimmer Twins. 1977 -80 . I wonder if Mick ever looked back and said it was a wasted oppurtunity to tour in light of no tours from 83 till 89 ? The Stones should have toured in 1984 as well for Undercover , but that was at the height of the cold war . Heck while I am on a roll a Dirty Work tour would have been fun as well . Think of all the catchy marketing slogans and the tour merchandise with Dirty Work branded all over them ? That would have been cool , and who knows maybe the Twins would have included some raunchy R&B tunes in the set list as well ? I got to stop going down memory lane and all the fun back in the 80's because it really was a gas gas

ER is 10 outta ten album IMHO. They should've played Let Me Go in the same sleay, king crawling tempo as done on the record. Europe should have got a proper ER tour, I agree! A bit like No Filter 17/18.
It was super cool that in 1981 they performed She's So Cold and Let Me Go . Quite a shock to me that they did not perform Summer Romance or Down In the Hole during the 81 tour . Also if I am in a rant - no Slave performance ever ! That is a major crime in my book .[www.youtube.com] Slave first version with vocals and very long version .It says it was recorded in 1975 . Billy Preston is on this track .The sax sure sounds like the late great Sonny Rollins , but I can't be sure as I thought he was brought in late 80 or early 81 for that famous killer sax solo ? I hear Keith on the fill before the sax as I was wondering who is on guitar besides Keith ? Maybe it's all keith ? Such a missed oppurtunity to this Stones fan that we were never given a proper performance . The guitar solo at the 9:17 mark has me scratching my head as I know most of it's Keith but there wan another phrase that could be some one else ? Maybe Ronnie ? or Harvey Mandel ? Wayne Perkins ? I have a bootleg CD at home from 74 and I forget if these sessions took place in Rotterdam or Munich ? So the CD boot that I have has Jeff Beck on it ! Check out this article -[ultimateclassicrock.com]. About Jeff Beck recollection of this ! That would have been one heck of a show and tour to see Jeff Beck in Mick Taylor's place in 1975 . I totally went off the rails talking about Slave and that is the perfect example of how much joy and ecstasy that the Rolling Stones give me and still do to this very day .

I totally agree with you about how great Slave could and would be live. One huge extended jam. With harmonica and maybe sax thrown in.

Another onein this vein I've always wanted is Stop Breaking Down.

Both with Wyman guesting of course.

But reverting to the ER non-tour. No, Little Indian Girl need not be played live.
But for me it's one of the best tracks on the album.
The worst being the wannabee rockers you first cited'and the title track itself.

But on a tour - hey yes, ok. I'll take any non-tour over no non-tour.

And yes. The '84 and '86 non-tours were great too.

I was there.

Ok, back to 1975.

Time for Bed.
I hear you

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1863
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home