Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Flip the switch" official promo video
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 12, 2021 12:35

I've just seen this video for the first time.
Why it isn't officially published on Stones YT channel?

[youtu.be]

"... I got my money, my ticket
All that shit...
I got a toothbrush, mouthwash
All that shit
I'm looking down
In the filthy pit
I had the turkey
And the stuffing too
I even saved
A little bit for you"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-12 12:40 by KRiffhard.

Re: "Flip the switch" official promo video
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 12, 2021 13:56

Are you sure it is official? Normally they do not mix studio versions with cheers from live recordings.

Date: March 12, 2021 14:07

windmelody
Are you sure it is official? Normally they do not mix studio versions with cheers from live recordings.

Looks like it was broadcasted on MTV, so it might be official.

Date: March 12, 2021 14:09

windmelody

I really don't know but it seems so...it's on MTV channel.
They did the same with "You got Me rocking" Official Promo
[youtu.be]

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: March 12, 2021 15:01

Looks like someone just took the official St Louis 1997 version and cut in some other tour footage.

Flip the Switch - St Louis 1997

I never really appreciated this song, but this version is great. Keith really shines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-12 15:06 by GS1978.

Date: March 12, 2021 15:37

GS1978
Looks like someone just took the official St Louis 1997 version and cut in some other tour footage.

Flip the Switch - St Louis 1997

I never really appreciated this song, but this version is great. Keith really shines.

This version, the studio version?

There are quite a few live versions where he shines more, imo.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 12, 2021 15:51

"I had the turkey
And the stuffing too"

Has anyone checked if this "immortal" line was already on the recently-released
"Flip the switch I"?
I want to know who came up with this one! grinning smiley

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: March 12, 2021 15:53

I remember that promo video well from 1998, when it was broadcasted in Norway combined with a great Charlie Watts interview. I have it on VHS somewhere.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 12, 2021 15:59

Absolute belter of a track imho. I saw 5 BtB shows though they’d dropped it from their setlist by the time they did their final leg in Europe in early Summer 1999.

Date: March 12, 2021 16:30

DandelionPowderman
GS1978

Flip the Switch - Live St Louis 1997

No this is a live version from the 1997 St Louis PPV. Never loved the studio version and didn't really give the live version a proper listen (although I did see the 1997 NJ show).

And I agree -- the live versions are much better than the studio. The whole band is tight here, but Keith is really spectacular.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-12 16:35 by GS1978.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 12, 2021 18:32

What a waste. It's kinda You Got Me Rockin'. Kinda this, kinda that. Like most of the Post-Wyman era. Very few original sounding new songs in the second half of their career.

Date: March 12, 2021 21:12

The Worst.
I remember that promo video well from 1998, when it was broadcasted in Norway combined with a great Charlie Watts interview. I have it on VHS somewhere.

So even "Flip the Switch" has a promo video but not officially published on Stones YT channel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-12 21:12 by KRiffhard.

Date: March 12, 2021 23:08

GS1978
DandelionPowderman
GS1978

No this is a live version from the 1997 St Louis PPV. Never loved the studio version and didn't really give the live version a proper listen (although I did see the 1997 NJ show).

And I agree -- the live versions are much better than the studio. The whole band is tight here, but Keith is really spectacular.

This is the studio version with crowd cheering added. Some of the clips are from St. Louis 1997.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-12 23:09 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 12, 2021 23:40

24FPS
What a waste. It's kinda You Got Me Rockin'. Kinda this, kinda that. Like most of the Post-Wyman era. Very few original sounding new songs in the second half of their career.

Really?,,,,,,,,,,Really?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 13, 2021 05:52

GS1978
DandelionPowderman
GS1978

The song had had a chance to swing live by the time the PPV happened, especially how Keith moved the cadence around with the lick. Excellent performance of a very interesting and good song.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 13, 2021 12:52

I've always rather liked Flip The Switch. It worked well in concert and is a track I'd like to see re-visited.

Date: March 13, 2021 14:27

GasLightStreet
GS1978
DandelionPowderman
GS1978

The song had had a chance to swing live by the time the PPV happened, especially how Keith moved the cadence around with the lick. Excellent performance of a very interesting and good song.

But this is the studio version with some St.Louis footage.

Date: March 13, 2021 15:24

Dandy - Are you looking at the link I posted? Flip the Switch - Live St Louis 1997 (not the original post).

I really respect your opinion, but I do not think this is the album version and the video is all St Louis PPV footage (unlike the original posting version where other shots from the tour are cut in). It does sound too clean to be 100% live, but vocals, guitars and drums are different (and better in my opinion) than the album track.

Date: March 13, 2021 18:52

GS1978
Dandy - Are you looking at the link I posted? Flip the Switch - Live St Louis 1997 (not the original post).

I really respect your opinion, but I do not think this is the album version and the video is all St Louis PPV footage (unlike the original posting version where other shots from the tour are cut in). It does sound too clean to be 100% live, but vocals, guitars and drums are different (and better in my opinion) than the album track.

The original link, which is the promo video we're discussing, right (or did the thread take a detour that I missed smiling smiley ?

EDIT: I see now that you were talking about St Louis all along. I missed the link. My bad smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-13 18:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 13, 2021 23:16

More Hot Rocks
24FPS

Really?,,,,,,,,,,Really?

Extremely really. That's all I hear from most cuts on VoodooBang. Bridge had some interesting sounds, but they didn't age well. Take New Faces. It's just Lady Jane with a few nice, updated lyrics.

Date: March 14, 2021 03:58

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
GS1978
DandelionPowderman
GS1978

But this is the studio version with some St.Louis footage.

LOL I know. The St Louis one was burned in my memory. The Amsterdam version on NO SECURITY is pretty damn good too. It's cool to have another version of it on BREMEN.

Date: March 14, 2021 09:45

I think that RS staff should restore all promo videos to improve their quality and add those currently missing like Flip The Switch.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 14, 2021 10:12

Well, I'm satisfied with my Rewind VHS tape.

Date: March 14, 2021 14:33

DandelionPowderman
GS1978

The original link, which is the promo video we're discussing, right (or did the thread take a detour that I missed smiling smiley ?

EDIT: I see now that you were talking about St Louis all along. I missed the link. My bad smiling smiley

My post was confusing and should have made clear this was a different source video. If I confused anyone -- sorry about that. But if you're a fan of Keith's playing, check out the link I posted above.

Date: March 14, 2021 15:56

GS1978
DandelionPowderman
GS1978

My post was confusing and should have made clear this was a different source video. If I confused anyone -- sorry about that. But if you're a fan of Keith's playing, check out the link I posted above.

I have it on dvd, vhs and cd. Love that version thumbs up

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: March 14, 2021 16:22

Flip the Switch, 1997, Saint Louis is even better than the official version. The guitar work by Keith is incredible, and you can see the Stones standing still instead of jumping around all over the place. But I think we can agree that Flip the Switch is a great song and should be included more in future set lists.

Date: March 15, 2021 03:04

flilflam
Flip the Switch, 1997, Saint Louis is even better than the official version. The guitar work by Keith is incredible, and you can see the Stones standing still instead of jumping around all over the place. But I think we can agree that Flip the Switch is a great song and should be included more in future set lists.

It's included in every playlist I've made regarding recent Stones material, career spanning comp-lists etc. It's a grinder!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 15, 2021 03:11

Erik_Snow
Well, I'm satisfied with my Rewind VHS tape.

but you always have to Rewind it. Let's get it on Blu Ray.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: March 15, 2021 04:06

I was amazed by Keith's playing and also suprised that Ronnie's guitar was so low in the mix. Maybe the stereo of my computer is not balanced ? Or Ronnie was not reliable enough at that time ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1892
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home