Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: 1982 vs 1981
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 2, 2021 19:40

San Francisco 1981 was anything but "dead" although the crowd was somewhat reserved. I thought Saturday was so great I went back Sunday without a ticket and scored just as their set started. Don't think they were as good as Saturday but still, it was the Stones.

jb

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 2, 2021 20:17

jbwelda
San Francisco 1981 was anything but "dead" although the crowd was somewhat reserved. I thought Saturday was so great I went back Sunday without a ticket and scored just as their set started. Don't think they were as good as Saturday but still, it was the Stones.

jb

Exactly: it was the Stones!
Sometimes almost perfect, other times messy. But that has always been their charm. I could enjoy seeing Mick (Boston, Fenway Park) looking at Ronnie and Keith starting IORR on the small stage and hear him start singing Satisfaction (which was on the setlistcool smiley). And a minute later both Keith and Ronnie kind of smoothly "switching" to Satisfaction. Great fun to me. The Stones at their best cool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 3, 2021 01:33

Dead audience - sounds horrible. Maybe they were just stoned?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 3, 2021 02:59

stanlove
Dead crowd by the end of the first song.

[www.youtube.com]

Might have to change your name to orange hoax because of your continuance and insistence of something fake. What's extra funny is you think that footage at the end of the song is... at the end of the song.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 3, 2021 03:01

Stoneage
Dead audience - sounds horrible. Maybe they were just stoned?

There weren't any dead audiences. It's just his fake news trolling. Spewage of lies. Very familiar.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: March 3, 2021 04:55

Its definitely not my favorite Stones era, but the 1981/1982 core setlist is one of my favorite setlists. Wasn't the 1981 tour promoted somewhat as a 20th anniversary? if so, that did a pretty good job of making it a diverse career spanning setlist and at the same time keeping it fresh with last 3 albums.

Not doing the darker type songs (Gimme Shelter, Midnight Rambler) seems to fit it with the times and the colorful, playful, party atmosphere. Taking out the demonstration verse from You Can't Always Get What You Want seems to be within this train of thought. Substituting Street Fighting Man for Satisfaction as a closer/encore seems to work as well. Do we have a soundboard Street Fighting Man from 81? Philly?

The war horses at the end seem fresh albeit kinda of the same old same old but at least Miss You and Start Me Up are newer songs in 81.

There are a number of songs also played on this tour that are not on this particular list. What other songs were played in 1981 and 1982?

Under My Thumb
When The Whip Comes Down
Let's Spend The Night Together
Shattered
Neighbours
Black Limousine
Just My Imagination
Twenty Flight Rock
Going To A Go Go
Let Me Go
Time Is On My Side
Beast of Burden
Waiting On A Friend
Let It Bleed
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Band Introductions
Little T&A
Tumbling Dice
She's So Cold
All Down The Line
Hang Fire
Miss You
Start Me Up
Honky Tonk Women
Brown Sugar
Jumping Jack Flash
Satisfaction

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-03 06:35 by Mr. Jimi.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 3, 2021 06:03

It *was* a party tour. It was pretty much the golden age of party tours. You got wasted and saw the Stones, or Journey or AC/DC or whoever.
The trouble was -- and Mick saw this -- was that Springsteen and the Police and Tom Petty and Dire Straits were up and coming and were tighter and more organized. That was the future. Tickets were getting more expensive, the audience was getting older and they wanted more.
When the Stones came back for their comeback at the end of the decade, they still had the bombast, but they were also tighter and played the songs closer to the records.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1931
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home