Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Marianne Faithfull comments & updates
Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: January 15, 2021 09:56

A very positive interview in The Guardian today

[www.theguardian.com]

I did not realise she was living so near me - thought she was still in Paris

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-25 13:54 by bv.

Re: Good news from Marianne Faithful
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 15, 2021 16:56

What a great read. I remember when Broken English came out. It blew me away. I gave copies of the album to friends. Some of them dug it, some of them were put off by Why'd You Do It, some stayed clueless. I have a number of her albums from that point forward, a number of live shows. A very interesting person. The song linked in the article, Born To Live, is really good. It's a memory trigger, not just about her, but I believe for a number of us on this site who've been around since the beginning of the Stones as a recording group and phenomenon in our lives. It certainly made me reflect on the times and things I've been through and have yet to face.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 15, 2021 22:53

johnnythunders

[www.theguardian.com]

Positive, yes. Good to hear how she is, yes.

But my reading of the article is that she's still on Oxygen, and it's very sobering to see from this link [www.theguardian.com] that she left hospital in APRIL. So that's 8+months of long-COVID.

Think about the implications of that!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 15, 2021 23:32

Great news but she is lucky to be alive. That's how I feel too. I remember hearing she got it just as I was recovering.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 16, 2021 00:25

johnnythunders

[www.theguardian.com]

Excellent interview and very good news. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 16, 2021 00:51

Positive as always....if you read the interview you can hear here voice.......

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 16, 2021 16:00

Great interview and nice to hear she is getting through her illness with covid.
Hoping she makes a full recovery and can start singing again.
Living in Putney she is right by the River Thames,very near Central London and got The Half Moon pub with live music once we get out of lockdown.smileys with beer

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: January 16, 2021 22:47

thanks for sharing this
huge, moving

i do believe in the last 25 years Marianne surpassed Mick and Keith as an artist
but that is a side note

I am just so happy she is alive and capable of putting out another album
I am looking forward to it

love her

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-16 22:51 by maumau.

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: January 16, 2021 23:46

Two things from this interview are - actually I've never heard of those before -

they say Mick and Keith did not give her songwriting credits for Sister Morphine because they thought she's gonna spend all the money on heroin,
she says that she learned a lot from watching Mick write and his work (along with the band) inspired her to do her music herself. I find it unusual since in her intwerviews which I've read a lot, it's always about her being his "inspiration", "education" etc.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 17, 2021 00:36

Years ago ...
Watched a Marianne doco and at the
end she said that Mick was the love of her life

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 17, 2021 03:06

Rockman
Years ago ...
Watched a Marianne doco and at the
end she said that Mick was the love of her life

And still is I guess.........

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: January 17, 2021 07:13

Jagger's old girlfriends should start a band -- the Sob Sisters.

Date: January 18, 2021 09:35

Jagger should listen to the last 5 or 6 album from this "old girlfriend" and try to guess where to start to make a great album again

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 18, 2021 13:48

Thanks to this thread I was pushed to listen to explore some Marianne music.

First time I did (save her song on Circus) and what a surprise!

Listening to No Exit right now. Very interesting!

For the Englishmen here, what kind of accent does she have?

C

Date: January 18, 2021 14:13

liddas
Thanks to this thread I was pushed to listen to explore some Marianne music.

First time I did (save her song on Circus) and what a surprise!

Listening to No Exit right now. Very interesting!

C

Broken English (sorry, couldn't resist grinning smiley ).

I'm not English, but I believe she's from Hampstead, London.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 18, 2021 14:19

liddas

C

A throaty, upper-middle class, southern English accent. She's a bit posh, isn't she?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 18, 2021 14:42

Yep, she was well above Jagger in the class pyramid. England was, and still is, a class society. There are still obvious reminders of the feudal society there.
Jagger is a social climber though having received a knighthood and all.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 18, 2021 15:12

Glad she's feeling better. Sending her a box of Mars Bars.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: January 19, 2021 11:24

She's lucky to have been so attractive in the 60s and bagged a Stone. She wouldn't have a career in music if she looked like Mama Cass back then. No one on here would give her awful records a second glance without the Jagger connection.

Date: January 19, 2021 12:01

She really did get her break through the Stones. As Tears Go By was gifted to her, and wasn't it Andrew Loog Oldham who discovered her? After the hits dried-up - a handful of top-ten singles; mostly forgotten - it was her relationship with Mick that kept her in the spotlight.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: January 19, 2021 13:12

nice article, thanks for posting, it also made me preoder her new album smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 19, 2021 16:24

WorriedAboutYou
She's lucky to have been so attractive in the 60s and bagged a Stone. She wouldn't have a career in music if she looked like Mama Cass back then. No one on here would give her awful records a second glance without the Jagger connection.

Your prejudiced view does not apply to everyone.

I became aware of the song " Broken English" by hearing it on the radio. It made me glad to be aware by whom. Then I bought the album BROKEN ENGLISH in much the same way that I in its time bought a double compilation with Buddy Saint Marie, not because of Marianne's Stones related past. I was delighted by BROKEN ENGLISH, most of all by the song " Ballad of Lucy Jordan". One after another I then bought her three following albums. I also attended one concert with her.

All in all, I am pleased by the fact that Marianne Faithfull has had a career in her own right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-19 16:25 by Witness.

Date: January 19, 2021 16:34

Witness
WorriedAboutYou

I became aware of the song " Broken English" by hearing it on the radio. It made me glad to be aware by whom. Then I bought the album BROKEN ENGLISH in much the same way that I in its time bought a double compilation with Buddy Saint Marie, not because of Marianne's Stones related past. I was delighted by BROKEN ENGLISH, most of all by the song " Ballad of Lucy Jordan". One after another I then bought her three following albums. I also attended one concert with her.

All in all, I am pleased by the fact that Marianne Faithfull has had a career in her own right.

Unfortunately, that would've been the view in 1964. The pop market of the day surely demanded an attractive, well-groomed female: Marianne had that in her favour. It's what sells and makes money. The Patti Smith's of the world wouldn't have got a look in, sadly. Be glad pop music evolved.

Date: January 19, 2021 16:53

Big Al
Witness
WorriedAboutYou

Unfortunately, that would've been the view in 1964. The pop market of the day surely demanded an attractive, well-groomed female: Marianne had that in her favour. It's what sells and makes money. The Patti Smith's of the world wouldn't have got a look in, sadly. Be glad pop music evolved.

In fairness, she also had a nice voice back then smiling smiley

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 19, 2021 17:00

It's disappointing to read such a slew of sexist comments on here, some of them completely off the mark IMHO confused smiley

Date: January 19, 2021 17:43

Beast
It's disappointing to read such a slew of sexist comments on here, some of them completely off the mark IMHO confused smiley

Well, I was merely pointed out something factual. I should've added that her vocal capabilities were also paramount. Actually, I'm not even aware if this is directed at me!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 19, 2021 17:54

Big Al
Witness
WorriedAboutYou

Reread what I answered to. That is how all posters here with certainty would have reacted to her recorded work later on. I have more or less shown that I would not.

Are you sure that no musicians and producers would have assisted Marianne at the time of BROKEN ENGLISH, without she having had her past? For that seems to be your remaining argument.

Date: January 19, 2021 18:17

Witness
Big Al
Witness
WorriedAboutYou

Reread what I answered to. That is how all posters here with certainty would have reacted to her recorded work later on. I have more or less shown that I would not.

Are you sure that no musicians and producers would have assisted Marianne at the time of BROKEN ENGLISH, without she having had her past? For that seems to be your remaining argument.

Well, her ‘past’ kept her in the mind of producers and musicians, surely. The fluff she recorded in the mid-60’s is long forgotten by anyone who wasn't a teenager of the day, I would largely imagine. Broken English is a regarded record. I should give it a listen.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 19, 2021 19:00

Thanks for posting this great Marianne Faithful interview and great she's alive, over the years I attended several great concerts of her and bringing out interesting albums with great younger musicians involved. Her voice has grown in years.

Date: January 19, 2021 19:18

Beast

my thoughts too, i was too saddened to comment about

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1884
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home