Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 13
Re: OT: Survey - What's the best American rock band of all time?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 4, 2020 01:05

.... yeah well I have read Springsteen
say early Stones influenced him ... but heck
me no know where that interview is ...
Youll just have ta take my word for it ....I'm An Honest Man ...

I'm certainly not gettin mixed up with Buffalo Springsteen .....HHHHaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 4, 2020 01:10

He says in Hail Hail Rock and Roll he learned Chuck Berry from listening to Keith Richards. So I would agree the Stones influenced him.

jb

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 4, 2020 01:47

I heard somewhere that the first song Bruce ever learned on guitar was "It's All Over Now".

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 4, 2020 01:50

I'm sure he was influenced by the Stones also - just as many bands and musicians were.
Just so happens that after listening to the Beatles "it was nothing but rock ‘n’ roll and guitars" and it was "life changing" for Springsteen.

In an odd twist of trivia, John Lennon was a fan of "the Boss" and mentions Hungry Heart as a favorite in his final interview. Lennon/Springsteen
I remember that tune being played on the radio around that time and loathed it - never been a Springsteen fan aside from a random tune here or there - don't like his vocals.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 4, 2020 03:28

ROCKMAN

Date: December 4, 2020 03:41

Driftin' baby!

jb

Posted by: barbequebob ()
Date: December 4, 2020 05:16

Sorry, no time to read the whole thread or get into any details, so my apologies if this has already been covered, but the group that first came to my mind is Credence Clearwater Revival. I also love the Dead, Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, Velvet Underground, and many others. but think that CCR is the USA equivalent of Beatles/Stones in terms of the time period, commercial success, and ability to play long/deep cuts that appeal to folks looking for something more. Yes, I know that John Fogarty was the creative force in CCR, but once you start with that, the distinction between a group and a solo artist becomes impossible to parse.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 4, 2020 14:16

DandelionPowderman
MisterDDDD
Don't quite agree with this writer's conclusion.. but he does show his work.

What is the Greatest American Rock Band of All Time? The Answer is Not as Easy as You Think…

At first, upon reading this, I surely thought there’d be a definitive answer, but when I started to think, I found myself scraping the bottom of the barrel – what American band can hold up against the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and the Stones? The answer is not as clear as you think, and some names may surprise you. Discounting singer/songwriter driven bands (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band) in consideration for groups that contained individual personalities coming together to create, among popular answers were the Ramones, Guns n’ Roses, The Eagles… And after a few weeks of digesting this question, we’ve come down to a few solid names that could even hold a candle up to those British bands.
[eraofgoodfeeling.com]

Interesting!

«but maybe that’s just how American pop culture has shaped up to be. We crave and reward individual talent and personalities mainly because Americans have been programmed to do so – we are obsessed with the success of the individual»..

MisterDDDD
It is interesting and persuasive. After a second cup of coffee and reading it again, I agree with most of it including his final pick.

Interesting indeed. A must read for anybody who is interested in American rock music at all — or rock music in general for that matter.

My only reservation is, however, the author picks The Doors as the greatest American rock band of all time albeit ad interim. How many song titles of them can a casual music listener or an average person of the general public name when they are asked? Probably only two — Light My Fire and The End. Maybe Hello, I Love You and Touch Me, but that’s it. Compare them with the case of The Beatles or The Stones — go figure.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 4, 2020 15:14

Rockman
....dont matter ... they all wanted
ta be The Stones .... how many interviews
ya read from Bruce ta Iggy where the say they
saw The Stones on Sullivan or live or Tami and wanted ta be them ...

Cant recall ever reading someone saying they saw
The Beetles and wanted ta be McCartney or george ..... HHHHaaaaa

Iggy surely got his shit right.

I started going wild — getting drunk once in a while. Borrowed cars, crashing’ em. Got my first fingerprints and mug shot. And I was listening to two albums — Bringing It All Back Home, by Bob Dylan, and The Rolling Stones Now! And maybe Out of Our Heads, by the Stones too.

What was it about Dylan and the Stones that hooked you?

I was learning song construction. How to write, how to play. How to make it feel. Music should never be too good, too tight. It should excite you. The Stooges’ music is supposed to make me feel good. And I’ve always had faith that if I feel good, others will. That faith has been tested [laughs].

What did you learn — and take — from Mick Jagger and Jim Morrison when you started singing with the Stooges?

From Morrison, it was the way to stand at the mike — the stance and the grab. He hung on the stand. Nobody else did that. The other thing was he might do anything — and he doesn’t respect you. You don’t get respect for ten bucks — sorry! From Mick Jagger, it would be his moving around while he performs the song. Also, the voice as an irritant. When he sang, it was the opposite of nice.

Here is Iggy's closer take on 12X5 (and also of the significance of Jagger and Dylan for him and on prefering the Stones over the Beatles...) - a great read! [vinylwriters.com]

And here is the famous quote by Bruce from 1984:

Mainly, we planned to be just like the Rolling Stones. They were the band we liked the best at the time. But you grow up, and when you finally put that suit of clothes on, sometimes they don't fit, or they fit differently, and you're a different person, and what you're gonna do is different, I guess.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-04 15:42 by Doxa.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: December 4, 2020 18:46

I like the Velvet Underground, but John Cale is Welsh, which eliminates them from this discussion.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 4, 2020 18:49

Javadave
I like the Velvet Underground, but John Cale is Welsh, which eliminates them from this discussion.

The Velvet Underground was an American rock band formed in New York City in 1964 by singer/guitarist Lou Reed, multi-instrumentalist John Cale, guitarist Sterling Morrison, and drummer Angus MacLise. MacLise was replaced by Moe Tucker in 1965, who played on most of the band's recordings.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: December 4, 2020 19:34

Eagles
Ramones
Fugs

Posted by: Keefy ()
Date: December 4, 2020 19:39

The Doors & The Beach Boys

Posted by: RWFish ()
Date: December 5, 2020 00:48

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. Quality and Quantity of music is extraordinary.
Creedence Clearwater Revival. Consider the amazing output between 19968-1970.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 5, 2020 17:41

Witness
DandelionPowderman
With a couple of more great albums under their belt, Cordovas will get there, imo.

Fantastic band! Check them out, if you haven't heard them.

[www.youtube.com]

Yes, a first impression of that song was very good, thank you! I did not know about them at all.

Apparently, associated with someone with the name Joe Firstman. Founding member or producer?

Excellence. Thanks. Didn't know.
Dandy is an Ace.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 5, 2020 21:41

If you would have asked this question to Mick Jagger in 1958, very likely he would have said ... Buddy Holly and The Crickets.
For me (I'm not an expert, just an old man): CCR (but I enjoy many other American bands winking smiley).

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: December 5, 2020 23:34

RisingStone

My only reservation is, however, the author picks The Doors as the greatest American rock band of all time albeit ad interim. How many song titles of them can a casual music listener or an average person of the general public name when they are asked? Probably only two — Light My Fire and The End. Maybe Hello, I Love You and Touch Me, but that’s it. Compare them with the case of The Beatles or The Stones — go figure.

There are plently of songs by The Doors that are pretty much known for an average listener to name (besides those you've already mentioned). People are strange, Roadhouse Blues, Riders On The Storms, LA Woman, Break On Through, and that amazing record they did with Jim chanting under the Adagio by Albinoni, to name the few.
And I don't even follow them close.

If the band that only existed for less than decade left such a legacy as the Doors did, they easily can be the greatest American band ever. At least, that's what I'm totally agreed with.

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: December 5, 2020 23:40

I've heard Billy Idol and his song Rebel Yell was inspired by the Stones. Can not add the quote, as I don't remember where I read that.

Date: December 6, 2020 00:39

Mariuana
RisingStone

There are plently of songs by The Doors that are pretty much known for an average listener to name (besides those you've already mentioned). People are strange, Roadhouse Blues, Riders On The Storms, LA Woman, Break On Through, and that amazing record they did with Jim chanting under the Adagio by Albinoni, to name the few.

If the band that only existed for less than decade left such a legacy as the Doors did, they easily can be the greatest American band ever. At least, that's what I'm totally agreed with.

Break On Through maybe. But are the other titles you mention as well-known for an average listener or among the general public as those I picked above, really? I’m not so sure...

Date: December 6, 2020 02:09

RisingStone
Mariuana
RisingStone

Break On Through maybe. But are the other titles you mention as well-known for an average listener or among the general public as those I picked above, really? I’m not so sure...

More people probably know of Riders on the Storm and L.A. Woman than they do Touch Me. Also Roadhouse Blues, People are Strange and Break On Through are better known than Touch Me- especially Break on Through.
Touch Me was sort of a curveball imo (w/the strings, horns, etc.), and far from being one of their best/signature tunes, but I do like it just as I do most Doors tunes.

Having grown up in the Venice/Santa Monica area, I was a big fan back in the day. I vividly remember my older brother buying L.A. Woman when it was released in '71 w/ Love Her Madly being a big hit on the radio. By the time I was in high school around '79/'80, I was somewhat of a "diehard". Trivia: The "blue bus" Jim refers to in The End is in reference to the public Santa Monica bus's which were blue and known as 'the big blue bus'. Also, the line "I see your hair is burnin', hills are filled with fire" evidently was written when Jim was watching the massive Topanga fire of 1970. As a seven yr. old, I also recall watching it from Santa Monica as the entire mountain range was ablaze, and the sky to the north was filled with smoke billowing over the coastline.

Are they the best American rock band of all time? Hard to say, but they're definitely up there in the rankings of all time American greats.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-06 02:13 by Hairball.

Date: December 6, 2020 04:03

Hairball
More people probably know of Riders on the Storm and L.A. Woman than they do Touch Me. Also Roadhouse Blues, People are Strange and Break On Through are better known than Touch Me- especially Break on Through.
Touch Me was sort of a curveball imo (w/the strings, horns, etc.), and far from being one of their best/signature tunes, but I do like it just as I do most Doors tunes.

Are they the best American rock band of all time? Hard to say, but they're definitely up there in the rankings of all time American greats.

Okay...Touch Me is a weak link in my argument, admittedly.
I still feel to single out The Doors as the greatest American band of all time stretching the point a bit no matter what.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: December 6, 2020 04:21

I'm thinking CCR, Buddy Holly & The Crickets and Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band. Unfortunately all three are arguably true bands - they are all led by amazing front men who wrote the songs.

This seems so much different than British bands - Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, all had partnerships for writing.

Date: December 6, 2020 05:20

The thing with CCR is they basically repeated pretty much the same three or four songs. They have really grown on me over the years though.

jb

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 6, 2020 05:20

Sly and The Family Stone

Delaney & Bonnie and Friends

NRBQ

Date: December 6, 2020 05:57

RisingStone
Hairball

Okay...Touch Me is a weak link in my argument, admittedly.
I still feel to single out The Doors as the greatest American band of all time stretching the point a bit no matter what.

Yeah I agree it's a stretch, but there doesn't seem to be an agreement here on which band is, and the Doors could be it just as easily as CCR, or the Beach Boys...or just about any other band that's been mentioned.
As for the Doors, was thinking after reminiscing earlier that my fandom seemed to be a temporary phase that sort of peaked when I was in high school c.'79/'80, and afterwards it gradually petered out.
Unilike the Beatles and obviously the Stones who I still love to this day, I don't really think too much about the Doors or have a major desire to listen to them very often, but I still like most of their songs.
A few live boots here and there seemed to be enough beyond their standard catalogue, and I never desperately sought out much else beyond that - it's almost as if I grew out of them.

All that being said, I'll go out on a limb and nominate DEVO right here and right now along with all the others who have been mentioned.
I saw them live at the Santa Monica Civic back in 1980, and have been tainted beyond repair ever since lol.

I've come to realize that America doesn't have just one best American rock band of all time - we have a bunch of them!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 6, 2020 06:24

Hey, if it's open to Devo...I'll go one better and list SPARKS.

They've been so far ahead of the times so often that it seems the world will never catch up with them.

The depiction of America found on their 1975 album Indiscreet was a keen-eyed antidote to all of the Bicentennial blah-blah-blah we lived with the following year:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: December 6, 2020 08:18

Mariuana
RisingStone

One of may favorites, just beautiful. bvv

The Doors - A Feast of Friends (Albinoni Adagio in G Minor)

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 6, 2020 10:05

I see Springsteen and E St. Band are on Saturday Night Live next weekend. I'm sure the odds are good they'll play Santa Clause is Coming to Town!

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: December 6, 2020 10:13

The Band.
Aerosmith.

Date: December 6, 2020 10:49

Mariuana
I've heard Billy Idol and his song Rebel Yell was inspired by the Stones. Can not add the quote, as I don't remember where I read that.

Billy is English.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home