Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Ronnies Guitar playing still terrible
Date: November 3, 2005 16:55

IMO,

In 1989 Ron Wood still was a great guitar player. Listen to the solo on Undercover (Atlantic City), listen to 7th Of July (London 1990). In 1994/95 he still had some magic, but the good moments became fewer. In 1997/98 something must have happened to him. His playing was really bad, and he was turned down in the mix. 1999 wasn't any better, despite the exciting setlists. In 2002, Ron was put higher in the mix, something that suited the band better. He still played sloppy sometimes, but did some great stuff also. The quality in his playing declined furthermore during the european leg of the tour (2003), and in Stockholm (the show I saw) he seemed drunk and was buried way down in the mix again. I think he hit 2 or 3 notes at max on his Wild Horses-solo.

I have only heard the Charlottesville-show from this tour + Sway and Dead Flowers from Columbus(?), but based on that, he is playing and rocking (audible), but the quality varies a lot. Songs like GOOC, Miss You and Rain Fall Down (Charlottesville) are OK, but others (RJ, YGMR etc. are really bad).

What strikes me is the change of his sound from 89 to 94. And now, he attempts the fuzzy, heavy-guitar sound - doesn't suit him...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 3, 2005 18:06

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Soon I will announce a place where frustrated old
> Stones fans will be able to check in and tell all
> their frustrations without bothering those of us
> who still can hear our heart beating. Hearing aids
> will be provided and there will be half price of
> course.
>
> Bjornulf

Nice. That'll be cool. In the meantime "The Bitching Few" can enjoy themselves here: www.shitcity.com
grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 3, 2005 18:57

Manhattan wrote "Again, 1976 was sooooooooo long ago. Get real guys" Thanks for the time line Manhattan but you missed the point of my post. The point was that based on what I have heard Ronnie play in the past I know that he is capable of playing better than he currently does. I don't buy this old age and drug addled excuse either.

Bjornulf, you have the best Stones site on the web and so I hope you will distinguish between those who have constructive view points to air and those who are constantly and deliberately dispariging of the band and fellow posters. Part of what makes this board great is the wide variety of opinions, both pro and con, regarding the band that most of here love.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1497
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home