Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Longest Time Span Between Official Releases
Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: November 20, 2020 05:02

This may have been discussed previously but I can’t find any such thread, so here goes my question.....

Beginning with their release of “Come On” in June 1963 to an official release of “All The Rage” via the GHS Deluxe album in September 2020, do the Stones own the current record for any musical act with the longest time span between debut and most recent official releases of unique songs (i.e. excluding re-issues) at 57 years, 3 months? Or can someone else lay claim to a longer span (perhaps a solo artist has had a longer career output of new material, but certainly not a band)?

Thanks all!

Re: Longest Time Span Between Official Releases
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 20, 2020 14:35

sf37

do the Stones own the current record for any musical act with the longest time span between debut and most recent official releases

If you go into the area of Classical Music, then definitely no. An example would be the Staatskapelle Dresden - a German orchestra based in the capital of Saxony and founded in 1548. It's considered to be the only orchestra still in existence that has played uninterruptedly for more than four and a half centuries and at the same time - as contemporary reports prove - has always been one of the leading orchestras of the various epochs. [en.Wikipedia.org] , [www.Qobuz.com] .

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: November 20, 2020 14:40

Irix
sf37

do the Stones own the current record for any musical act with the longest time span between debut and most recent official releases

If you go into the area of Classical Music, then definitely no. An example would be the Staatskapelle Dresden - a German orchestra based in the capital of Saxony and founded in 1548. It's considered to be the only orchestra still in existence that has played uninterruptedly for more than four and a half centuries and at the same time - as contemporary reports prove - has always been one of the leading orchestras of the various epochs. [en.Wikipedia.org] , [www.Qobuz.com] .

One of the violin players was really beautiful back in the 1620s, but she's looking a little ragged these days.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: November 20, 2020 15:10

Irix
sf37

This is quite a fascinating read, Irix - - I had no idea of the existence of this continuing orchestra. Thanks so much for sharing!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 20, 2020 15:14

ChrisL
Irix
sf37

One of the violin players was really beautiful back in the 1620s, but she's looking a little ragged these days.

A little bleary, worse for wear and tear....

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: November 20, 2020 16:55

I don't think so, Vera Lynn was releasing albums during the war and when she was 100+ a few years ago

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 20, 2020 17:00

sf37
This may have been discussed previously but I can’t find any such thread, so here goes my question.....

Beginning with their release of “Come On” in June 1963 to an official release of “All The Rage” via the GHS Deluxe album in September 2020, do the Stones own the current record for any musical act with the longest time span between debut and most recent official releases of unique songs (i.e. excluding re-issues) at 57 years, 3 months? Or can someone else lay claim to a longer span (perhaps a solo artist has had a longer career output of new material, but certainly not a band)?

Thanks all!

Willie Nelson released his debut album "... And Then I Wrote" in September 1962 and his most recent "First Rose Of Spring" in July.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 20, 2020 18:26

Dylan released his first album in 1962 and his last one in June 2020 (and I'm sure there will be many many bootleg series releases in the years to come)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 20, 2020 19:16

ChrisL
Irix
sf37

And then another went solo in an attempt to breakaway, but had limited success causing division amongst the fans,
and ultimately decided to rejoin the group leading to what some have described as "the Vegas years".

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: November 20, 2020 21:33

Hairball
ChrisL
Irix
sf37

And then another went solo in an attempt to breakaway, but had limited success causing division amongst the fans,
and ultimately decided to rejoin the group leading to what some have described as "the Vegas years".

True, but we’ll always have “the Constantinople years” in the 1780s. That might be my favorite period.

Date: November 21, 2020 01:25

ChrisL
Irix
sf37

grinning smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 21, 2020 01:31

Irix
sf37

That's not relevant to the question, though.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: November 21, 2020 04:48

Stones will have to stay alive, active, and keep recording and releasing music all the way to 2040
to top the world record currently held by Kaspar "Stranger" Malone,
a U.S. musician whose lifetime recording career prior to his passing in 2005 lasted 77 years,
from 1926 to 2003 -- that's 8 consecutive decades.

About Kaspar Malone: [elisewitt.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 21, 2020 12:30

GasLightStreet

But it was relevant enough for a non-relevant comment. So: where's your useful reply to the original question?

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: November 21, 2020 13:47

Wow! 1548! Long live Staatskapelle Dresden. smiling smileythumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 21, 2020 16:41

stone66
Stones will have to stay alive, active, and keep recording and releasing music all the way to 2040
to top the world record currently held by Kaspar "Stranger" Malone,
a U.S. musician whose lifetime recording career prior to his passing in 2005 lasted 77 years,
from 1926 to 2003 -- that's 8 consecutive decades.

About Kaspar Malone: [elisewitt.com]

Little known fact was that he had a top 10 single on the pop charts in each of the decades he was actively recording.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 21, 2020 20:43

sf37

Thanks all!

As far as bands go, the one that springs to mind for me is The Blind Boys of Alabama. Formed in 1939, first release was 1948 and most recent album - a collaboration with Marc Cohn called 'Work to Do' came out in August 2019.

So, 71 years and counting. With a career that's now 81 years long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-21 20:44 by Gazza.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: November 22, 2020 05:11

Gazza
As far as bands go, the one that springs to mind for me is The Blind Boys of Alabama. Formed in 1939, first release was 1948 and most recent album - a collaboration with Marc Cohn called 'Work to Do' came out in August 2019.

Except that Clarence Fountain, the last surviving original member, passed in 2018 and was only involved in his final 2 years after having been non-active since 2007.

It's like imagining the Stones with no longer the lineup of Charlie Watts, Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, or even Ron Wood.

Rolling Stones 2035: songs by Matt Clifford and Steve Jordan, credited to "the spirit of Jagger/Richards" with occasional compositions by band leader and main side man Chuck Leavell; guitars by Blondie Chaplin; bass by Darryl Jones; and lead vocals by a constantly revolving door of Mick Jagger's multitudinous offspring. With their latest album release: Working Dirty...

Noteworthy is the Temptations: active since 1960, still with an original member, recorded releases dating between 24 July 1961 and 12 April 2018 (most recent), and their album output runs from 1964 to 2018. Mind you, the ranges of these dates relate to original songs and album releases.

Which means that when future music historians are compiling these stats, the Stones sill be seen to have had formidable competition in the longevity department, even in these later years running down to the wire.

You kind of have to hand it to the Temps on a technicality. While the Stones did release a studio album in 2016, they nonetheless went the whole decade without a new album of originals, whereas the Temps have released new albums in every decade since the 60s and even 4 since 2006. Altogether, the Stones have released 30 studio albums, and the Temps 43.

One thing historians will surely note: The Rolling Stones are the kings of compilation albums: 27 so far. Wouldn't be a hoot if in the end they wind up with more compilations than originals? That right there tells a story in itself.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 22, 2020 05:55

Would the Stones also be kings of live albums, too?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 22, 2020 07:30

Irix
GasLightStreet

But it was relevant enough for a non-relevant comment. So: where's your useful reply to the original question?

I've not found anything useful because I haven't looked and it appears that stone66 may've found it.

Relevant enough? No it wasn't. It's not relevant period. An orchestra that has nothing to do with the subject is not relevant enough or at all since it was specific.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: November 22, 2020 08:18

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Chuck Berry so far:
1955 - Maybellene
1957 - After School Session (album)
2017 - Chuck (album)
60 years between albums, 62 in total

Do The Stones wait with the release of their final album to beat Chuck? smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-22 08:25 by Happy24.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 22, 2020 13:26

Hairball
ChrisL
Irix
sf37

Their best era was when Mikael "Mick" Taylor joined as a lead instrumentalist, 1869-1874, fans are still debating that over a hundred years later on their message board.

Date: November 22, 2020 14:40

IrelandCalling4
Hairball
ChrisL
Irix
sf37

Their best era was when Mikael "Mick" Taylor joined as a lead instrumentalist, 1869-1874, fans are still debating that over a hundred years later on their message board.

He sounded rather bored on the 1873-tour, though...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 23, 2020 20:26

stone66
Gazza

Except that Clarence Fountain, the last surviving original member, passed in 2018 and was only involved in his final 2 years after having been non-active since 2007.

It's like imagining the Stones with no longer the lineup of Charlie Watts, Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, or even Ron Wood.

I dont think it really matters in relation to the original question. Its the same band that just happens to have gradually replaced members down the years due to age/death, and as far as I'm aware they never broke up.

Temptations are a good example indeed.

Stones are definitely the longest with the same core line up though - to have three members still in the band since January 1963 is quite remarkable.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 23, 2020 23:07

i dont think a band that claims to exist without any original members is the same band, i know this is a grey area which provokes much debate but to have a band exist in a certain timescale and claim to be the longest serving band surely at least one member has to be constant.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: November 24, 2020 11:38

DandelionPowderman
IrelandCalling4
Hairball
ChrisL
Irix
sf37

I thought they relied rather heavily on the warhorses during the Crimean War.

Date: November 24, 2020 12:57

teleblaster
DandelionPowderman
IrelandCalling4
Hairball
ChrisL
Irix
sf37

I thought they relied rather heavily on the warhorses during the Crimean War.

They learned that lesson after the Civil War..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-24 12:58 by DandelionPowderman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1923
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home