Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What’s your LP collection worth?
Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: November 18, 2020 21:21

Hello friends, an offer has been made to me for my complete Vinyl record collection, included are many Rolling Stones albums and about 150 boots
I’ve used Discogs to establish some degree of pricing on the standard releases, by country, but they don’t price guide boots.
Does anyone have a similar source to assist please?

Re: What’s your LP collection worth?
Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: November 18, 2020 21:25

Don’t do it midiman! Donate to the ChrisL vinyl collection instead!

(Just kidding. But being a vinyl fan, I can say prices vary wildly online, so it’s all about what you can get. Even on discogs the variations are crazy.)

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 18, 2020 21:48

Maybe 10-15 percent of its initial value? I have an ordinary collection. It's not that easy to sell though. Unless you find someone who's ready to buy the whole collection at once.
Of course you can put it out on the net and sell it piece by piece. But that takes time and effort. For, in most cases, small earnings.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: November 18, 2020 23:42

Almost impossible to tell, I’da say...
How much are you willing to offer for my 600+ UK albums? And my 700+ USA albums?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 18, 2020 23:50

1963luca0

How much are you willing to offer for my 600+ UK albums? And my 700+ USA albums?

The amount which your insurance offers .... winking smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 19, 2020 00:20

A million dollars. Now to find someone who will give me that for it.....grinning smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 19, 2020 00:22

My lifelong collection is priceless - NOT FOR SALE!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 19, 2020 00:28

Just hang around a record shop and wait
till some cat drags a pile of his prized
vinyl in ta sell .....

Watch his face as they pick out a couple of
the albums they can move... then tell him ....
We'll give ya twenty bucks for these two or thirty for the lot ....

Seen it a million times .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 19, 2020 00:37

midimannz
Hello friends, an offer has been made to me for my complete Vinyl record collection, included are many Rolling Stones albums and about 150 boots
I’ve used Discogs to establish some degree of pricing on the standard releases, by country, but they don’t price guide boots.

It all depends on what’s IN your collection. Try and figure out what’s worth the most, and work from there...

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: November 19, 2020 00:51

Yeah be selective about what you want to sell and how you do it. Pull out the really special albums and flog them one at a time on ebay or discogs or somewhere like that or direct to collectors if you have the connection. The rest, pull out the crap you want to let go cheap and take it to a local record store, be prepared for Rockmans response and just take what they offer and walk. The medium stuff, not really rare or desirable but things you didn't want to ditch cheap, and try flogging it on the bay individually or in groups but expect it to take a while.

Beats just unloading it at the local record shop, they want to maximize their profits by buying low and selling high, which seems to be the opposite of the way I end up doing it.

jb

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 19, 2020 00:53

midimannz

Why would you sell your collection? If you're desperate for money, okay, but else ... it's part of your life.
I remember some 30 years ago somebody offered me 250 guilders for my unseen Rolling Stones LP with read label, which I had bought for a fraction of that price many years before. The idea of having a Stones LP worth that kind of money gave me a kick. Off course I still have that album and wouldn't sell it for any money. It's part of my "Stones life" cool smiley

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: November 19, 2020 01:00

Zero. No longer have any.

Date: November 19, 2020 01:25

I have a collection of MFSL original master discs some still sealed I would never part with.

I think the Dark Side Of the Moon UHQR disc only 5000 made is worth a lot since one of them is still in the original wrapper.

No, my Sticky Fingers and Some Girls still sealed are not for sale.

Date: November 19, 2020 01:28

try flogging it on the bay individually or in groups but expect it to take a while.

Yeah and get ready ta responds to a million questions...
Can you take a close up photo of track three ....
How much is it in postage ??..
Would you swap it for six Beatles albums ?
Can you do it any cheaper ....
Is the cover in good nick ????
Does it play LOUD ?????

Then if ya do sell it ya got all the
hassle of packing .. tracking numbers ... etc etc

Six weeks later they contact you ta say album its
buckled with three metre high swells and they want their money back ....HHhhaaaaaaaaaa

GOOD LUCK

ROCKMAN

Date: November 19, 2020 01:58

Totally true Rockman, all of it. I never had problems on ebay except when I attempted to sell records. All the bug holes come out and they do come with the endless questions. I mostly ignored them but maybe thats why I didn't really have that great an experience. I got the only negative feedback in my life selling records and it was total nonsense. And yeah don't forget, you will have to be in love with being a packing and shipping clerk and then getting a lot of guff about how you should only charge 2$ shipping or something. And of course when you ship it cheap they complain about it taking so long or getting crushed in the mail (duh...thats why its cheap).

Hardly worth it to me but you know, its tempting when you want to unload your collection. Of course you will regret it later and probably buy it back at some point for ridiculous prices, but its all part of the edumacation.

jb

Date: November 19, 2020 02:15

Yeah Melbourne has just come out of lock-down
so I ventured up there a few days ago ....

Just talking to record and book shop owners they
all said that on-line sales went thru the roof but
they learnt how much trouble it is to sell on line
with all the packing .. postage .. tracking numbers etc .....

As the guy from Avenue books told me ....

Its so easy selling over the counter ....
Someone wants ta purchase a $30 book ...
Cash or card at the counter... SLAM... deal done .... all over in 30 seconds

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 19, 2020 02:33

Nothing....most of my Stones records are completely worn out

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 19, 2020 03:09

I went to CDs and digital, mostly. A friend opened a used record shop and was struggling, so I gave him most of what i had, probably 300 to 400.

I kept all my Stones and bootlegs and a few sentimental others -- like my first ever purchases of Jim Croce and Harry Nilsson. I kept all my Chuck Berry lps too, even though I have them on digital, I just love them too much.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: November 19, 2020 04:05

It's very hard to find anyone interested in a whole collection that doesn't want to break it up... the hobby is collecting which doesn't mean buying in one lot. If you enjoy finishing you don't just run off down the fismonger instead.

I buy a fair number of collections and for truly great stuff I will pay truly great money but regular stuff has to be in top condition and the work and expenses in selling the parts you don't want is not to be underestimated, Any buyer or self seller always get stuck with 20% to 40% that probably is more efficient to give away.

I tend to buy memorabilia collections as opposed to record ones but most collections I see have a actual market value of around the same as the best 10% and 20% of items. The drop off in value between the really great items and the rest is usually large. Sure I will re home your $10,000+ 60's gig posters and pay on the spot but don't expect me to pay extra for your Voodoo Lounge tour programme.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: November 19, 2020 04:48

I have spent 45 years putting together (I have been told) among the most complete US collections, bar none, be it LP and 45 with all sleeves, promos, and most variations from 1963-2016. I also have some really insane UK items. Many items I picked up at quite modest (for now) prices back 40-30-20 years ago, while some items I got as a steal, and some I paid well for. How much do I have in it? No clue, but I am convinced that due to having the ridiculously rare top stuff, I could command well more than I have in it.

However, while there seems to be an uptick in vinyl right now, high-end collectible vinyl is an ever-shrinking hobby where major players are fewer and fewer and father between. A look at the high end Beatles' market shows that the mega-players are getting out or making noise about moving on.

Why, we ask? At some point, despite how much we (mostly middle-to-older-age guys) love this band, The Rolling Stones, their relevance will begin to fade. At that point, like the Elvis market, real contraction will occur. Were this not enough, many of our children are no longer "collectors" who need 3 different Orange London Label Promo Street Fighters, an RSM-1 and the RSD-1, 14 Exile on Main Street (all different, slightly!) or all 4 UK 1st LPs with the short "Tell Me."

So, those among us with collections which really do matter are faced with a dilemma, the resolution of which may result in not getting all the $$ we may expect to get.

"That's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ( - Dennis Miller)

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: November 19, 2020 05:58

mattleeuk
It's very hard to find anyone interested in a whole collection that doesn't want to break it up... the hobby is collecting which doesn't mean buying in one lot. If you enjoy finishing you don't just run off down the fismonger instead.

I buy a fair number of collections and for truly great stuff I will pay truly great money but regular stuff has to be in top condition and the work and expenses in selling the parts you don't want is not to be underestimated, Any buyer or self seller always get stuck with 20% to 40% that probably is more efficient to give away.

I tend to buy memorabilia collections as opposed to record ones but most collections I see have a actual market value of around the same as the best 10% and 20% of items. The drop off in value between the really great items and the rest is usually large. Sure I will re home your $10,000+ 60's gig posters and pay on the spot but don't expect me to pay extra for your Voodoo Lounge tour programme.

Fair enough. I appreciate the feedback, my little memorabilia collection is not worth much. The magazines, books and local newspaper cuttings and articles from 70's and 80's are not considered rare.

Date: November 19, 2020 06:00

georgie48
midimannz

Why would you sell your collection? If you're desperate for money, okay, but else ... it's part of your life.
I remember some 30 years ago somebody offered me 250 guilders for my unseen Rolling Stones LP with read label, which I had bought for a fraction of that price many years before. The idea of having a Stones LP worth that kind of money gave me a kick. Off course I still have that album and wouldn't sell it for any money. It's part of my "Stones life" cool smiley

I wasn't considering selling my vinyl. I've been approached by a buyer
It's now on my radar as I don't play them anyway. Even in the 'olden days' I used to play once to record on cassette and then put the LP's away in storage.
I'm still over run with videos, books, cd's and magazines from the past.

Date: November 19, 2020 06:43

>Even in the 'olden days' I used to play once to record on cassette and then put the LP's away in storage.

Me too but with me it was reel to reel tape usually. Its funny though, even though my records have basically only been played once, no one really seems to value that, all they care about is the condition of the cover.

The exception is my reggae music collection; I have been a DJ both radio and live for over thirty years specializing in reggae so a lot of my reggae records have been played and on strange and suspect equipment. But like I said, no one seems to notice or care.

Personally if I am faced with a record collection with a history of not really being used, short of warpage caused by improper storage, I am all over that ish.

So midimann, if you got a buyer asking you to sell you are way ahead of the game. Don't sell yourself short; give the guy/gal a deal if you want to but don't let them steal it by any means. You have a more or less captive audience so let them show you how much they want it.

jb

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: November 19, 2020 08:06

Factoring in Time Value of Money & then working your way to a fair & reasonable seems to be the way to go.

For example, lets say you invested $2,000 USD b/w 1964-1974 & another $3,000 1974-1984 on RS LP's, 45's etc. How much would that same $ be equivalent to today? (that's the real value of $ invested).

Also your buyer(s) would have to spend a lot of time & $ chasing down the rare/semi-rare stuff, so factor that in (& use it as a selling point, i.e. convenience to them, saving time & $). Also they get to see the merchandise & possibly sample it etc (known quality & quantity/value/safe investment)...another selling point. Also, they save on shipping, which adds up quickly per LP. Also your collection is damage free vs. something they ordered online, which may not be (hassle, refund status questionable)...Peace of Mind.

Even a collection of "basic" mainstream LP's, the examples above apply, just on a slightly smaller scale of varying monetary degrees.

I'd prepare a nice spreadsheet/word doc w/descriptions & pics (the sizzle) to entice the buyer(s), let them scroll/flip through it, now it's tangible, if they're not physically holding the records. This imprints on their mind & adds to their desire for your collection.

Don't accept the 1st offer (if possible), unless it's way, way over what you were hoping to get initially. Just don't sell yourself short.

Lastly, put your best LP's at the front & back of the stack, with a few scattered throughout the middle. Humans tend to remember the 1st & last thing they saw.

I hope this helps you get what your collection is truly worth & wish you the best of luck!

Posted by: jbgoode ()
Date: November 19, 2020 09:52

Popsike.com

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 19, 2020 22:00

They'll all be practically worthless when the new vinyl fad passes. They'll be standouts like an unopened Beatles first album in the U.S. on the VeeJay label. Then the only ones left will be the hard core collectors, who have always existed.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 19, 2020 23:16

my old dad passed away on sunday, he was 79, loved george jones, has a big collection, wondering what they are worth, most originals i think.

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: November 19, 2020 23:30

buttons67
my old dad passed away on sunday, he was 79, loved george jones, has a big collection, wondering what they are worth, most originals i think.

Sorry for your loss, may he RIP.

When my dad passed in '05, I took his Frank Sinatra & big band/easy listening LP collection to my local record shop...they didn't want any of them, despite being in Mint Cond, including the covers. Most of them were bought in the 70's & early 80's, which may be why.

They only wanted Beatles, stones, Led Zep, Hendrix, Floyd etc.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: November 19, 2020 23:32

buttons67

RIP to your dad.

I think not much, but if you have Salutes Hank Williams or Sings Bob Wills, I’ll buy them from you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-19 23:32 by ChrisL.

Date: November 19, 2020 23:57

What are hot these days are delta blues 78s. Have to find the right buyer though.

All reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld where Kramer comes up with a record collection he thinks has to be worth millions and Bleeker St Bob I believe it was had to set him straight. Basically get that crap out of my store and do it now. Based on a real store with a well known attitude. Pretty funny as always.

jb

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1751
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home