Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Holland (Question on the tour).
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 1, 2005 17:20

They always play Holland don't they? Amsterdam is always played.
Do any of you know where they will play for sure in Amsterdam???
I'm hoping to get tix....

I have put aside 2000 Kr (Approx. 285 American Dollars) for two concert tickets. If I go to Copenhagen's Parken Stadium and to the Amsterdam Arena (for example), would that be enough money??? Or even for three tickets (Thinking somewhere in northern Germany here).

JumpingKentFlash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-01 17:33 by JumpingKentFlash.

Re: Holland (Question on the tour).
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 1, 2005 17:35

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They always play Holland don't they?

yes

Amsterdam is
> always played.

no its not. Until the ArenA was built in the mid 90's, they had only previously played small halls or clubs there. The first stadium shows there by the Stones were at the Amsterdam ArenA in 1998.

> Do any of you know where they will play for sure
> in Amsterdam???

probably the ArenA. There arent any other stadiums or large indoor venues that are suitable in Amsterdam.

> I'm hoping to get tix....

you, me and about 300,000 others. From what I've heard you might want to keep the weekend around July 23rd free, although of course nothing's set in 'stone' as yet

"De Kuip", Feyenoord's stadium in Rotterdam seems to be a much more preferable venue amongst fans than the Amsterdam Arena which has a reputation for bad acoustics. But its easy enough to commute from Rotterdam to Amsterdam anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-01 17:37 by Gazza.

Date: November 1, 2005 17:37

Thanks Gaz. Do you have some more answers. I edited the post.

AND ANOTHER EDIT!!!!!
Is Amsterdam too hard to get tickets for???

I'd eat my own Shit and @#$%& men if I could get to see them indoors.

JumpingKentFlash

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-01 17:41 by JumpingKentFlash.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: November 1, 2005 17:52

Gazza Wrote:
> JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

>
> > Do any of you know where they will play for
> sure
> > in Amsterdam???
>
> probably the ArenA. There arent any other stadiums
> or large indoor venues that are suitable in
> Amsterdam.
>

Well the Heineken Music Hall would fantastic. It is known for there acoustics, the place can hold 10000 people so it would be hard but he, they played the Paradiso in '95...

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: November 1, 2005 18:00

Dont know what the prices will be..cheaper than the US I'm sure and hopefully reasonably affordable if some of the shows have standing on the pitch...in that case, $285 should get you into a couple of shows OK

Amsterdam is a hard ticket for several reasons. Not only are the Stones very popular in Holland, but the location of the place makes it very accessible for fans from Germany, Belgium, France, England and beyond. Plus they always play multiple shows there, which is another advantage if you're coming far. When they announced the BTB tour at the end of 1997, I remember they only announced about 20 cities at first, with maybe one night in each. The demand for Amsterdam was so great that they ended up playing 5 shows and sold them all out (250,000 tickets) in three hours. Yet they struggled to sell more than one show anywhere else. (Wembley eventually sold 2 shows and they had to cancel a 2nd Paris show) - and even that wasnt enough. They added another field show in the Hague with a crowd of 80,000 and then came back in '99 and did a few more outdoor shows.

However, that was in the "pre corporate Stones" days so whilst they wont sell that many shows so fast at today's prices, it'll still be a fast seller. For a stadium show, you'll ALWAYS be able to get tickets at some point easy enough even if they sell out. People are always going to end up with extras. Thats what I plan to do with some shows next year. I'm not planning to go apeshit and book tickets for several shows when they go on sale like I normally, but I'll see what suits me later on regarding stadium shows. I ended up with extras last time for Twickenham when I got upgrades and even though the show was a sell out it was very hard to get face value for them and I lost money (because whilst some category A tickets are excellent, others arent quite so desirable)

I dont think theres as much advantage on seeing the band indoors on this tour as there was last time. Its essentially the same show. Certainly not enough to warrant advertising your darkest sexual deviances, which no doubt some twisted individual reading that will be happy to take advantage of....

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: November 1, 2005 18:00

Always. According to people I know, there are some reliable sources that indeed say they will do the Amsterdam Arena, probably multiple times. But they will also VERY likely play the Stadspark in Groningen which I'd strongly recommend you to go for. The dutch Stonesforum.nl has even started an action to send letters and e-mails to Mojo to stop them from having the Stones play the Arena. This was in most television-news and newspapers for a couple of dayes. U2 played the Amsterdam Arena a while ago and there were some bad, BAD reviews of that, and not because of the quality of U2's performance. Bono mentioned they were "playing a bathhouse". I have a bootleg of the 1998 tour and it sounds very bad, despite the fact that the recording is actually quite good. There's an extreme ammount of reverb. They always close the roof(it can open and close) because it may rain, causing it to be very hot. It sounds horrible. Especially because your going to be paying about 1000 Kr for a ticket, it's not worth the money.

Keith in the Amsterdam Arena in 2003.

The Stadspark on the other hand, which they played in 1999, gets very fine reviews. It's a field, not a stadium. It's pretty big, it holds 90,000 people. Because it's a field, the sound quality is pretty good.

Keith playing the Stadspark in 1999.

Remember, Holland is really small, and from Amsterdam to Groningen will not take you more then 2 hours.

Date: November 1, 2005 18:01

Wuudy Wrote:
> Gazza Wrote:
> -----
> > JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> >
>
>
> >
> > > Do any of you know where they will play
> for
> > sure
> > > in Amsterdam???
> >
> > probably the ArenA. There arent any other
> stadiums
> > or large indoor venues that are suitable in
> > Amsterdam.
> >
>
>
>
> Well the Heineken Music Hall would fantastic. It
> is known for there acoustics, the place can hold
> 10000 people so it would be hard but he, they
> played the Paradiso in '95...
>
>
>
> Cheers,
> Wuudy

I didnt realise the Heinken was as big as that. I would have guessed maybe half that size. Thanks for the correction

Its a possibility I guess. There was a strong rumour near the end of the last tour that they were going to ad a couple of shows there in September 2003...

Date: November 1, 2005 18:02

Reptile Wrote:
> Always. According to people I know, there are some
> reliable sources that indeed say they will do the
> Amsterdam Arena, probably multiple times. But they
> will also VERY likely play the Stadspark in
> Groningen

I've heard that too.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: November 1, 2005 18:08

Gazza, the Heineken music Hall is indeed not that big. I think it can hold about 5000. I was confused with Ahoy (rotterdam) wich can hold 10000. My mistake.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: November 1, 2005 18:42

STONES TO GRONINGEN 2006 YEAAAAAH!!!!

Let them play in my backyard :-)...

The rumour is they will play Groningen on 27th July.. the day after my wedding... nice afterparty!

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: November 1, 2005 18:49

In 2003 I decided last minute to go to the 2nd Rotterdam Kuip show. It was easy to get tickets just a day before the show for regular prize (75 euro).
Come to Switzerland, it is always very relaxed to get tickets for the Swiss shows.

Sjouke

PS. Groningen would be great, almost in my hometown...

Posted by: jack_daniels ()
Date: November 1, 2005 20:33

Gazza Wrote:

Amsterdam is
> always played.

> no its not. Until the ArenA was built in the mid
> 90's, they had only previously played small halls
> or clubs there. The first stadium shows there by
> the Stones were at the Amsterdam ArenA in 1998.

Some correction is needed here Gazza:
Before the Arena was built it was common for the Stones to ALWAYS play in the soccerstadium of Rotterdam: "De Kuip". It has almost the same capacity as the Amsterdam Arena, but it is an 'outdoor' stadium.

Even when the Arena was there they also played "De Kuip". E.g. during the Licks Tour they played De Kuip (50.000) en Ahoy (10.000) in Rotterdam and Arena (2x) in Amsterdam en a club in Utrecht (Vredenburg)

We (from the Dutch Stonesforum.nl) sincerely hope they will play in "De Kuip" and also Ahoy again in Rotterdam and outdoor venues like in Groningen or even Landgraaf or Nijmegen. In Amsterdam they should play Paradiso (club) or Heineken Music Hall (arena).

But as Michael Cohl is in charge they probably go for the 'safe' Amsterdam Arena. Good commercial contracts prevale above "customer satisfaction". (And they play and sing that too smiling smiley)

I'm just a Monkey Man

home.planet.nl/~verm6412/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-01 20:34 by jack_daniels.

Date: November 1, 2005 20:39

jack_daniels Wrote:
>
>
> Some correction is needed here Gazza:
> Before the Arena was built it was common for the
> Stones to ALWAYS play in the soccerstadium of
> Rotterdam: "De Kuip". It has almost the same
> capacity as the Amsterdam Arena, but it is an
> 'outdoor' stadium.

I know it is (I was at the VL shows there - excellent stadium, excellent crowds and excellent shows)..

dont know about them 'always' playing it before the Arena was built. They only first played there in 1982.

they played stadium shows at The Hague in 1976.

like I said in my first post, de Kuip seems to be a preferred venue with fans for the reasons a few people have mentioned above

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 1, 2005 21:05

Reptile Wrote:

> Remember, Holland is really small, and from
> Amsterdam to Groningen will not take you more then
> 2 hours.

And Groningen is closer to Copenhagen than Amsterdam is.

Posted by: jack_daniels ()
Date: November 1, 2005 22:40

You are completely right Gazza. They played De Kuip from 82 onwards. Before that they didn't.
But I thought I read in your post that you said they only played small clubs and halls 'there'. And when I read it now I see that the word "there" means "Amsterdam". And then you are completely right.

But as we are in the discussion in the netherlands Not to play A'dam Arena in favor of De Kuip, hence the misunderstanding winking smiley)

ANyway I hope they will play enough concerts in NL as they have always done, so everybody in Holland (and Belgium, Germany and Denmark smiling smiley) will be happy!!!!

I'm just a Monkey Man

home.planet.nl/~verm6412/

Date: November 1, 2005 22:43

easily lost in the translation..lol

Date: November 2, 2005 15:41

So maybe the gathering we talked about late last year should be in Groningen???

BTW: Thanks to all.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: November 2, 2005 15:53

Ofcourse I meant they always play Amsterdam since the Amsterdam Arena was built, sorry for the confusion.

The Kuip is very unlikely at the moment... what a shame...

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 2, 2005 15:55

Reptile Wrote:
> they always play Amsterdam since the Amsterdam Arena was built

They didn't play there in 99. Groningen and Landgraaf instead.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1426
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home