Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Rolling Stones Autographs - In Person Collecting - Post your examples
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: November 18, 2020 00:01

I have always been shy about asking for autographs, like I didnt want to intrude on their privacy. I have to be around someone for awhile to attempt to ask, and then usually it is something I have just bought from them, a record usually. I used to have a girlfriend though with no such inhibitions and she collected up a bunch for both her and I. Mostly reggae greats though, rarely any rock or pop music, mostly because I didn't patronize it for a long time.

It is like taking a musical trip back though, to look at an autographed flyer for the original Israel Vibration trio backed by original Roots Radics band.

jb

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 18, 2020 00:03

Rockman
Have Anita's in a small notebook ......

Nice...come on..tell the story...smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 18, 2020 00:30

Topi
I've heard that Charlie in particular is pretty good in responding to fan mail.

From what I've seen/experienced---he is extremely generous. Makes it very difficult to not go this route since he is so great about it. Hope it hasn't become a nuisance for him...

Date: November 18, 2020 01:38

How does one address fan mail so Charlie gets it?

jb

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: November 18, 2020 04:12

Charlie´s signature got it in Mexico 2016

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: November 18, 2020 09:26

jbwelda

jb

You have to be a willing horse and do your research. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-18 09:36 by Topi.

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: November 18, 2020 14:27

My favorities of my 72
By myself exept Brian
[www.cjoint.com]
[www.cjoint.com]
[www.cjoint.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-18 14:29 by JMARCOU.

Date: November 18, 2020 19:00

Topi
jbwelda

jb

You have to be a willing horse and do your research. winking smiley

Thats what I thought I was doing, silly me.

If you don't want to publish it publicly, please email me. But I suspect it is widely known in circles I do not travel, namely fazebook.

Or I could try the obvious:

Charlie Watts
England, UK

And see what happens. Perhaps that will narrow it down sufficiently.

OK thanks!

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-18 19:01 by jbwelda.

Date: November 18, 2020 19:13

I remember BV telling not to share addresses on this board. So out of respect I'm not doing that.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-18 22:28 by Topi.

Date: November 18, 2020 22:16

Right, thats why we have email addresses plainly visible (or at least I think mine is plainly visible).

jb

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: November 19, 2020 03:22

Another one from the first six... this one dedicated.

Date: November 19, 2020 06:54

So Matt, do you find that these guys enjoy people asking for autographs? Are they suspicious that one (not you necessarily) will take the autograph and sell it and really have no motive beyond the financial gain (which if you ask me, should be shared with the artist if so)?

I ask because I was blessed to spend some quality time with reggae legend Alton Ellis and one thing he told me was, "I don't get stressed when people ask for an autograph, I get stressed when people DON'T ask for an autograph." I thought that might be pretty true as a gauge of popularity and public acceptance, and it probably carries over to people who have dealt with it the majority of their lives and in fact probably cannot escape it.

So I was wondering if you could share what you have picked up of Ronnie's view of that matter. Obviously he enjoys signing stuff for you but thats probably because you have cultivated a friendship with him. How's he feel about just walking down the street by himself in broad daylight for instance?

jb

Posted by: wickerman ()
Date: November 19, 2020 10:23

I personally know one of the "A-list" rockstars (not any of the Stones though) and he mentiones that he can rarely be recognized while walking on the street, taking tube etc. He says it obviously changes when he's on tour, as fans are stalking him regularly (it's especially crazy in Latin America), but he can enjoy free walk, dining out etc. without much hassle or recognition. This person is not super keen on signing autographs "on the street" though, especially avoiding autograph dealers.

Date: November 19, 2020 11:32

So many interesting experiences and stories about this where do I start, I could write all day... One thing I would say is I actually have a level of respect for the professional autograph hunters. Having effectively been a Stones only one albeit for my own collection or for friends then I have spent very many hours with some of them (there really aren't many of them). When I look at the big online market places and even the major auction houses its the tiny minority of sets I would put my name to. The vast majority of autograph sellers are just pushing fakes because the reality is it takes many many hours work and not insignificant expenses to collect real ones, narrow than down to good real ones and it's a huge amount of time. I often did 3 or 4 nights a week of between 4 to 8 hours for about 18 months.

If you have an interesting item and you pick your moment then they are usually all great about it. I can't emphasis enough it's about picking your moment. If you want a really good one you really need to be on your own or with one maximum two others. Don't approach them during a meal or whatever, not even when they go to the toilet... wait! When they are finished, they have there coat and they are waiting for the car to pull round, politely ask, don't rush up to them. I understand many think it will be their only chance but they get far too intrusive.

Ronnie is traditionally the most generous when it comes to signing... with two or three people he would often do a couple each however I have seen him get frustrated by pushy or rude people. One time he and I were at a table in a pub and a fan spotted him, came over, and without asking put a camera literally two feet from his face and took a photo. The first time I ever spent a good chunk of time with just him was in 2007 on thee Friday before the Led Zeppelin show (incidentally he was second on the bill although had never agreed to do it!). We spent six hours together in central London and generally he wasn't bothered inside places but a couple of times on the street people spotted him and a few autographs later we jumped in the waiting car and moved on.

It's all fine until the first person spots him and then once one asks it can get out of control fast. Probably the craziest time was when we were having dinner in Chelsea his mate Adam Green (sadly passed) called to say Saint Jude were playing at the 100 Club and did he want to come. We jumped in a cab (the cab driver was excited and reckoned he was the best famous person he had had in his cab) and went to the club. It was fine getting in as we pulled up, skipped the line and went straight to the sanctuary of the dressing room (more like a corridor). It was leaving that was harder... he signed for the few faithful that had waited patiently but once up on the street it was a complete Cab desert! What Oxford street was not short of was drunk people... once he was spotted I had to quickly usher him around the corner to the Sanderson hotel who were great and arranged a car, I then went home on the central line ;-)

Date: November 19, 2020 11:40

This was always one of my favourites to get signed by Ronnie and he was super happy with an LP I gave him already signed by Bo. This is the Laser Disc.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 19, 2020 20:39

I really like that drawing of Ronnie doing his art that you posted above, Matt!
Hadn't seen it before.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: November 19, 2020 20:45

angee
I really like that drawing of Ronnie doing his art that you posted above, Matt!
Hadn't seen it before.

The one in the herringbone trousers? That's actually of Mac. It's one of the many pieces of art on the sleeve of Gimme Some Neck. I have about 10 of the original art pieces and quite a few of the original lyrics too. I love this period of Ronnie's work.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 20, 2020 00:46

Hi Matt, I have a couple of things which I'm not sure about - I wonder if you mind looking at them for me if I send photos of them to your email address. I know seeing a photo is not like seeing them in person but I would still value your opinion if that's ok.

One is an inner sleeve from a bootleg called Dripping Honey which, apparently, Keith signed on behalf of the whole band in 1973. It does look like a couple of keith signatures I've seen but................(Bought at a record fair in 2000, although the actual LP is long gone.

The second was given to me by someone I've since lost contact with in 2013. It's Ron Wood's Raw Instinct catalogue for his art. It has the printed generic 'Ron wood' autograph at the bottom but then also has 'Peter - Ta?.....keith' at the top which does look like it's actual biro....

Peter has then re-dedicated it to me..............

Date: November 20, 2020 01:59

This was from back in 2000 when Ronnie was signing 3 or 4 albums for me and I had handed him the stack. He didn't realise he had got back to the beginning so signed this one twice :-)

Date: November 20, 2020 02:03

EddieByword
Hi Matt, I have a couple of things which I'm not sure about - I wonder if you mind looking at them for me if I send photos of them to your email address. I know seeing a photo is not like seeing them in person but I would still value your opinion if that's ok.

One is an inner sleeve from a bootleg called Dripping Honey which, apparently, Keith signed on behalf of the whole band in 1973. It does look like a couple of keith signatures I've seen but................(Bought at a record fair in 2000, although the actual LP is long gone.

The second was given to me by someone I've since lost contact with in 2013. It's Ron Wood's Raw Instinct catalogue for his art. It has the printed generic 'Ron wood' autograph at the bottom but then also has 'Peter - Ta?.....keith' at the top which does look like it's actual biro....

Happy to give you an opinion. As you say it's impossible without being there but I am not short on experience particularly for post 2000 stuff. I was seeing Ronnie a lot around the time of Raw Instinct and own a few pieces that were in that Exhibition.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 20, 2020 03:04

mattleeuk
EddieByword

Happy to give you an opinion. As you say it's impossible without being there but I am not short on experience particularly for post 2000 stuff. I was seeing Ronnie a lot around the time of Raw Instinct and own a few pieces that were in that Exhibition.

Cheers Matt - PM on it's way with 5 attachments.............thanks....smileys with beer

Date: November 20, 2020 03:46

A double Bill ;-)

Not long before Bill stopped signing Stones stuff (at least not without a lot of persuasion)... now he appears to have mellowed on this...

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: November 20, 2020 11:24

Yawn

Date: November 20, 2020 17:05

stargroover
Yawn

But you are still awake enough to click this thread...

Date: November 20, 2020 17:07

stargroover
Yawn

There are thousands of other threads to participate in if autograph collecting isn't your thing...

Here's another one for those that like it... would be great for others to post their examples too!

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: November 20, 2020 18:14

Oslo 1965. Old, but fun to havesmiling smiley

All the Best!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-20 18:23 by Heart for Stones.

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: November 20, 2020 18:28

One Love.

All the Best!

Date: November 20, 2020 18:30

The older ones look cooler =)

Don't know why, probably because they're more rare. What would a Brian Jones signature fetch on the market these days, BTW?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-20 18:58 by Topi.

Date: November 20, 2020 19:08

Topi

Don't know why, probably because they're more rare. What would a Brian Jones signature fetch on the market these days, BTW?

That Topi totally depends on the history / authenticity, what it's on and if the other band members are present... could be $250k plus if it's on the first contract (as seen in Exhibitionism / Unzipped) but could be a few hundred on a blank bit of paper.

Date: November 20, 2020 19:09

Topi

When buying: do the research before!
I purchased my BJ autograph ten years ago via Ebay for not
that much...always risky, but it´s written on an old lobby
card of the Park Avenue Hotel in Göteborg, where the band gave
a press conference. I saw a video where fans were getting
autographs after the PC.

Brian´s autograph is always beautiful and written in one
take plus two lines. Heart of Stones´ BJ autograph has
very similar lines, it was made 2 months after mine,
so it´s another hint that mine is real.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home