Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bobby Keys
Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: November 1, 2005 03:02

What does this guy do when he's not touring with the Stones?

Re: Bobby Keys
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 1, 2005 03:10

eats

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: November 1, 2005 03:15

and drinks......

Posted by: davido ()
Date: November 1, 2005 04:59

Check him ou in the Mad Dogs and Englishmen DVD Re-release!
Great stuff. By the way, does he have any solo albums?

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: November 1, 2005 05:23

the best bobby keys solo work is on "bobby Keys-live from the old country buffet" . Great stuff on that one. No seriously, I would also like to know other Bobby keys projects.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: November 1, 2005 06:13

Bobby Keyes played with the great Joe Ely Band during the mid-80s and toured with Keith and the Whinos in 88 and 93. Super nice guy and the combination of him and guitar great David Grissom made the Ely band of that period my favorite live act next to the Stones. They absolutely sizzled.

Date: November 1, 2005 06:14

And I'm fairly certain it was Bobby playing on John Lennon's Whatever Gets You Through The Night...

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: November 1, 2005 06:16

Pop & Step Dad both knew Bobby many years ago in Lubbock. I got to meet Bobby several times when he was playing with Joe, but I did not really know who he was then (I'm 29).

Posted by: Keyman ()
Date: November 1, 2005 08:43

Carl Carlton and the Songdogs!

[www.carl-carlton.de]

Posted by: Aucoin ()
Date: November 1, 2005 09:40

Why is Bobby not with the Stones on the ABB Tour?

Date: November 1, 2005 12:03

he isnt?? first I've heard of it...

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 1, 2005 12:35

Aucoin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why is Bobby not with the Stones on the ABB Tour?

He is on the tour.

Posted by: J.Marty ()
Date: November 1, 2005 15:39

Ok, probably hundreds of answers to this question on the board.
Anyhow ;-)

Why isn't he introduced when Mick presents the band on the Hampton '81-show (I just recently saw it for the first time)? Ok that Ernie Watts plays on most of the songs but Bobby is definitely there...

J.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: November 1, 2005 16:36

Bobby made a solo album for Warner bros in 1972, which is very hard to find.

Posted by: redrum ()
Date: November 1, 2005 16:49

Bobby played on Lennon's 1974 LP: "Walls & Bridges", and on Harrison's 1970 triple album "All Things Must Pass". He was doing session work for the latter when he got a call from the Stones.

If memory serves, Bobby played with Delaney & Bonnie on an English tour, c1969-70. During that period he met John Lennon and George Harrison. Bobby was part of Lennon's back-up 'Ono Band" during a one-off show in England around that time (War is Over, Happy X-mas?).

As for Bobby Keys and the 1981 Stones US Tour: I believe he played with the boys at Los Angeles (October 9 & 11 '81).

redrum

Posted by: john r ()
Date: November 1, 2005 17:04

Bobby's first RS session was Live With Me; the earliest credit I know of is Delaney & Bonnie's classic second album "Accept No Substitute" (spring '69) tho his son mentioned some Elvis sessions from the mid 60s.

Posted by: stonesriff ()
Date: November 1, 2005 19:59

Yes he is on this tour, we had a few beers with him at the Ballentyne Resort right after the Charlotte show was over. Although they dont have him out there or the horn section as much for this tour, but he is there.

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: November 1, 2005 20:05

His solo was the highlight of Cant you Hear Me Knockin' on the last tour since Ronnie couldn't carry the guitar solo through.

Date: November 1, 2005 20:49

J.Marty Wrote:
> Ok, probably hundreds of answers to this question
> on the board.
> Anyhow ;-)
>
> Why isn't he introduced when Mick presents the
> band on the Hampton '81-show (I just recently saw
> it for the first time)? Ok that Ernie Watts plays
> on most of the songs but Bobby is definitely
> there...
>
> J.

he only guests on a couple of songs. He wasnt a regular part of the band on that tour

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 1, 2005 21:00

Born the same day as Keith Richards!

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: November 1, 2005 21:54

He also played with Eric Clapton on many projects. I'd have to look at my Cds but he is credited several times for playing on a bunch of his stuff.

Date: November 1, 2005 22:06

A good quote about Bobby and the mid 80s band from liner notes to an Ely compilation:

"On a good night on stage or in the studio, they rock and rolled, Lone Star style, as if they were the world's greatest. Especially when joined by another Lubbock expat, Bobby keyes, often also seen with that other "greatest band" with his snake-charming, butt wigglin' sax riffs."

That last line captures Bobby's playing, doesn't it?

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: November 1, 2005 23:42

I have a great boot recording called "Rolling Stones Alumni" which was recorded over 3 nights in a club somewhere in Florida in the early 90's. The players include Bobby Keys, Nicky Hopkins and Mick Taylor with Fuzzy Samuels on bass. It is a great sounding aud recording and the band just smokes. Nicky steals the show, what a talent he was. Each night is highlighted by a 10+minute jam on the inst. portion of CYHMK, played completely different each night! Other highlights include Little Red Rooster, You Gotta Move, and Nicky's Tin Man.

Great stuff from so many key contributers to The Stones greated era! Contact me if you want a copy!

Ross

Posted by: barcelona ()
Date: November 2, 2005 00:17

He practices throwing TV's from the windows

Date: November 2, 2005 03:50

BK is a highly paid and highly paid session man. He's earned his chops and delivers where he turns up!

He works when he's not working w/the Stones. Best way to keep away from junk and coke and booze and puzzy and rich food.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: November 4, 2005 09:28

Bobby also played in the faces album long player

Posted by: smith ()
Date: November 4, 2005 11:12

believe it or not - he's a hard-core collector of everything in context with "Sticky Fingers". so I guess he's scrolling thru the Ebay-pages almost everyday...;-)

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: November 4, 2005 13:09

He came across has a really nice guy when i met him in manchester last tour.

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: November 4, 2005 13:30

Chas Wrote:
> His solo was the highlight of Cant you Hear Me
> Knockin' on the last tour since Ronnie couldn't
> carry the guitar solo through.

I really don't know what is the use of bashing Ronnie once again in a Bobby Keys thread. Yes Bobby's solo was a highlight, but for me it was Ronnie's solo and Mick harp solo as well. Ronnie did a great job with CYHMK solo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1029
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home