Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Which album best shows off Charlie's drumming skills?
Date: October 13, 2020 10:02

For me, it has to be the studio version of LIVE WITH ME, hands down. It gives me goosebumps every time I hear the drums entering - and I first listened to the LET IT BLEED album on 20 February 1995. Superbly recorded by Jimmy Miller.

Date: October 13, 2020 10:09

GasLightStreet
I've never believed that Charlie is on Fight or Hold Back. Neither sound like him.

Charlie is on Fight. That sounds like classic undercover-era drumming to me. Hold Back... it's hard to tell...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 16, 2020 03:26

Lurv Charlie on dis one .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: October 16, 2020 10:38

Charlie's great on all albums; I remember thinking how well he played on the last one, A Bigger Bang, even though I don't listen to it anymore. If I were to pick one album it would be LA Friday.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: October 16, 2020 19:13

Personally I really like Mixed Emotions. He is just driving, like a train...steady, steady...and then suddenly a fill and a crash cymbal...very effective! smiling smiley

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 16, 2020 20:29

Not a complete song but I love his drumming on the outro of LSTNT.

Posted by: HTD ()
Date: October 23, 2020 23:38

I saw "Live In Texas '78" in the theater when it was out for that two day run prior to the release on disc. I'm sure it had a lot to do with the mix, THX Certified Theater Audio, etc., but I was completely knocked out by the drums in that show. I just remember the kick they had and just how they stood out. His playing was incredible.

That said, played on a good stereo, his drumming on "Love You Live" also blows you away (me anyway.) Same for LA Friday.

On the other side of the coin, I'm not too enamored with the current tuning for the drum sound in live performances. Since Steel Wheels they generally have a thinner, hollow sound as opposed to nice, well-rounded toms from the '70s. I don't know anything about tuning , micing, etc., but that's got to be a conscious choice to have them sound like they currently do for most shows.

Duck

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: October 25, 2020 20:13

grzegorz67
Not a complete song but I love his drumming on the outro of LSTNT.

This version of LSTNT has a weird outro... :-)

https://youtu.be/jGNQKYuAMEI?t=199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-25 20:15 by ErwinH.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 25, 2020 22:15

ErwinH
This version of LSTNT has a weird outro... :-)

The drummer’s thinking that he’s dynamite...! grinning smiley

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: November 30, 2020 07:50

All of them, obviously, but I would say Exile and Voodoo Lounge. Almost Hear you Sigh is smooth as silk.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 30, 2020 12:42

I think he never was better than on the 1975 tour. He really was pushed by Ollie Brown to experiment, never playing four beats straight for 2,5 hours.

Mathijs

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 30, 2020 18:21

I've always loved Honky Tonk Women from LOVE YOU LIVE. Charlie performs it with perhaps the most perfect cadence of what the roll is in rock'n'roll with a great influx of swing in it, which gives the song an open flow and a ton of room. Plus Keith's playing is supreme, and the chorus is excellent, the most fitting version of the chorus in accordance with the rhythm of the song. Even Woody fills in the holes with tasteful licks.

What seems to be the second best live performance is on SOME GIRLS LIVE IN TEXAS, which is excellent in how it carries over the 1975-76 vibe of openess only with a bit of agitation in it, how Charlie changes up the beat early on and the guitars are a bit chippy. It speeds up a good bit, which is hilairious given the hype of Charlie being a metronome.

Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: November 30, 2020 20:39

SLAVE!!!!!!!!!

Date: November 30, 2020 21:06

Ya ya's. Dynamic, aggressive and to the point. Splendid hi-hat work, the snare sound is great, the bass drum working perfectly together with Bill, his ride approach on "Love in Vain" is gracious. Yes, Charlie's best live album to me.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 30, 2020 21:23

TheflyingDutchman
Ya ya's. Dynamic, aggressive and to the point. Splendid hi-hat work, the snare sound is great, the bass drum working perfectly together with Bill, his ride approach on "Love in Vain" is gracious. Yes, Charlie's best live album to me.

That is the best live album regarding Charlie, specifically. His intense plodding thumping double beat in JJF is incredible (it's even better in the GIMME SHELTER version) as well as practically every song on the album. Certainly the foundation for the apex of his power, and that style of drumming, which you can find starting with Dandelion and We Love You and pretty much ended around 1978, especially in regards to his live performances.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2070
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home