Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Rudeboy: The Story of Trojan Records
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: May 31, 2020 19:13

Wonderful new documentary on the origins of Reggae in England and Trojan Records influence. This is part of the "We Are One Film Festival" which is presently
running on Youtube.

[www.youtube.com]

Featuring Jamaican reggae and ska legends like Lee “Scratch” Perry and Marcia Griffiths, Rudeboy chronicles a multicultural revolution on the dancefloors of late ’60s and early ’70s Britain

Re: OT: Rudeboy: The Story of Trojan Records
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 31, 2020 19:35

As with most things Trojan, this is a rehash of films that have been around for a very long time. A film like This Is England is much more revealing of the society at that place and time. Still its nice to have more full length features on the history of reggae and its predecessors in Jamaica and as they were transplanted to the UK and elsewhere. Many do not know: Trojan records was started by Chris Blackwell before Island, as a company that imported JA records into the UK to sell to Jamaican expats. Blackwell was a white Jamaican who saw the need and then built it into an empire largely on the back of Bob Marley but also with help from artists like Traffic.

jb

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 31, 2020 21:42

jbwelda
As with most things Trojan, this is a rehash of films that have been around for a very long time. A film like This Is England is much more revealing of the society at that place and time. Still its nice to have more full length features on the history of reggae and its predecessors in Jamaica and as they were transplanted to the UK and elsewhere. Many do not know: Trojan records was started by Chris Blackwell before Island, as a company that imported JA records into the UK to sell to Jamaican expats. Blackwell was a white Jamaican who saw the need and then built it into an empire largely on the back of Bob Marley but also with help from artists like Traffic.

jb

A white Jamaican, born in Westminster and educated at Harrow.

Date: May 31, 2020 23:54

Thank you.

Although I preferred Richard Branson's approach to reggae: when Sex Pistols ended, send John Lydon to Kingston as A & R man to sign artists to his Virgin label, instead of relying largely on what Lee Perry and/or Bob Marley brought him like CB tended to do. But then again Branson is one of my life heroes and Blackwell, well, somewhere beneath that level. Peter Tosh called him Whiteworst for a reason but you know, Peter had a lot of reasons, rational and irrational, for doing a lot of things.

And some people had problems with Virgin as well.

You see front line, I see barbed wire. Music have no place in a gallery.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-31 23:55 by jbwelda.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: June 3, 2020 00:36

I’m sitting here wearing a Trojan T-shirt and just thinking about the label takes me back 50 years. It’s an excellent documentary. Trojan also did a lavish book

Date: June 3, 2020 01:53

Notice the typo on "Slipmat" on the back cover? That qualifies it as pure JA product (via UK).

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 3, 2020 01:58

This Is England ...yeah good doco ....
Sum footage me never see beefour .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 3, 2020 02:04

Notice the typo on "Slipmat" on the back cover?

maybe deh want to call it ah Spliffmat ....

ROCKMAN

Date: June 3, 2020 03:09

Spliffmat, now you got something!

jb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1858
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home