Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Who wrote the Stones songs? Mick or Keith?
Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 29, 2020 18:52

I am always curious about who wrote different and all Stones songs. Would like to keep a thread going about it.

Who wrote You Can't Always Get What You Want?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-30 10:57 by bv.

Re: Who Wrote It
Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: April 29, 2020 19:11

I’m gonna take a wild guess. Was it Jagger/Richards? Hehe.
Seriously tho like all the best ones they wrote it TOGETHER.

Date: April 29, 2020 19:15

vertigojoe
I’m gonna take a wild guess. Was it Jagger/Richards? Hehe.
Seriously tho like all the best ones they wrote it TOGETHER.
Have their even commented on it at all?

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 29, 2020 19:18

Mick: "You Can't Always Get What You Want" was something I just played on the acoustic guitar—one of those bedroom songs. It proved to be quite difficult to record because Charlie couldn't play the groove and so Jimmy Miller had to play the drums. I'd also had this idea of having a choir, probably a gospel choir, on the track, but there wasn't one around at that point. Jack Nitzsche, or somebody, said that we could get the London Bach Choir and we said, "That will be a laugh."

Date: April 29, 2020 20:00

You Can't Always Get What You Want was basically all Mick. I remember him coming into the studio and saying, I've got this song. I said, you got any verses? And he said, I have, but how is it going to sound? Because he'd written it on guitar, it was like a folk song at the time. I had to come up with a rhythm, an idea...

- Keith Richards, Life (2010)

From timeisonourside.com

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 29, 2020 20:17

Salt of the Earth, Brown Sugar,Dead Flowers,Star Star, Fingerprint File, Miss You,Some Girls,Emotional Rescue, Out of Tears,are I think all Mick ,among others.Keith has probably written most of the songs

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 29, 2020 20:20

It's a Mick solo song! It's not the Stones! Jimmy Miller plays drums! FAKE STONES!

So Mick came up with it, Keith gave it a shove.

Brown Sugar, SFTD, Sway, IORR, Miss You, 100 Years Ago - Mick has come up with some excellent songs.

I'll leave it at that.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 29, 2020 20:22

stanlove
I am always curious about who wrote different and all Stones songs. Would like to keep a thread going about it.

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Check out the 'Track Talk' section on this site and then click on the links for the individual songs. In many cases, you'll find quotes from the individual band members on the writing and recording of the song

For YCAGWYW :

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-29 20:22 by Gazza.

Posted by: z ()
Date: April 29, 2020 21:53

Taylor1
Salt of the Earth, Brown Sugar,Dead Flowers,Star Star, Fingerprint File, Miss You,Some Girls,Emotional Rescue, Out of Tears,are I think all Mick ,among others.Keith has probably written most of the songs

Salt of the Earth all Mick?? I don't think so.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 29, 2020 21:57

I remember an interview with Anita years ago, she said that the lyrics of YCAGWYW were written by Mick and her.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 30, 2020 01:02

Gazza
stanlove

Check out the 'Track Talk' section on this site and then click on the links for the individual songs. In many cases, you'll find quotes from the individual band members on the writing and recording of the song

For YCAGWYW :

That's correct I used it regularly in the past it's a good place to make up your mind who did what on writing songs....

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 30, 2020 02:19

z
Taylor1

Keith said it was in an interview to Rolling Stone in 1971

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-30 02:25 by Taylor1.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 30, 2020 02:28

I remember an interview with Mick not sure if it was '68 or '69 were Mick stated after he was ask about song writing he said I don't write tunes only lyrics ....you have to ask Keith.......

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 30, 2020 02:34

ROCKMAN

Posted by: z ()
Date: April 30, 2020 05:19

Taylor1
z
Taylor1

He was talking about the lyrics imho, not the music.

Date: April 30, 2020 08:20

z
Taylor1
z
Taylor1

He was talking about the lyrics imho, not the music.

And he helped Mick a bit with the lyrics as well.

That was recorded in the) studio (not on a cassette). Mick's words, but I think I was there for a bit of them too. I'd forgotten about that actually. Nearly all Mick, that one.

- Keith Richards, 1971

Salt of the Earth, I think I came up with the title of that and had the basic spur of it, but Mick did all the verses.

- Keith Richards, Life (2010)

Date: April 30, 2020 08:34

Gazza
stanlove

For YCAGWYW :

I never saw this before. Thanks

Re: Who wrote the Stones songs? Mick or Keith?
Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 30, 2020 11:02

There are several books about this. Like this one:

The Rolling Stones All the Songs: The Story Behind Every Track

Bjornulf

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 30, 2020 12:18

Before the Stones made solo records I got the impression 70 % of the lyrics were Mick's and 70% of the music was Keith's.
After listening to their solo albums i have the same impression but also feel certain that some of the more meaningful material like Gimme Shelter is Keith's, and that the sound of the Stones is Keith's.

Now in resent decades that dynamic and ratio has changed, I'd say 70% of the music and lyrics are down to Mick.

I would also point out that Mick's best spell of writing in the early 70s had a lot of help from Mick Taylor who gets virtually no songwriting credits, but a lot of great songs during that period have Taylor all over them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-30 12:24 by keithsman.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 30, 2020 12:47

Until the end of the 1960's, Keith wrote just about all of the music and parts of the lyrics, and Jagger the lyrics. Starting from 1969 Mick started to write more and more of the music, and the songs started to be really joint efforts. From 1985 on Keith seems to be fairly dried up, with Talk is Cheap his last truly great effort.

Mathijs

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: April 30, 2020 13:15

According to Mick his first written song "melodically" could be Yesterday's Papers.

Date: April 30, 2020 13:38

Mathijs
Until the end of the 1960's, Keith wrote just about all of the music and parts of the lyrics, and Jagger the lyrics. Starting from 1969 Mick started to write more and more of the music, and the songs started to be really joint efforts. From 1985 on Keith seems to be fairly dried up, with Talk is Cheap his last truly great effort.

Mathijs

Absolutely agree with the first part of your post, Keith was definitely responsible for most of those great meaningful sounds and memerable songs in the 60's, and of course the masterpiece Exile was very much down to Keith and it's well documented that at that time Keith was very much relied upon, people waiting and waiting for the creative Keith to arrive and trying to work around Keith's hours of functioning.

But on iorr many posters focus on the Mick Songs.

But most fans are aware that the best music , the music this band is famous for, and 70% of the music that is played live is very much down to Keith and the sound he creates with those monster intros and killer riffs, that's what puts the chills down your spine musically speaking, of course it would be nothing without Mick's singing, Keith is the sound of the music, Mick is the voice, that's how I'm hearing it.

Someone will comment in a minute that Brown Sugar is all Mick for instance to sway the discussion and try to turn it upside down, but even if you give Brown Sugar to Mick, what would that song have achieved without Keith's amazing intro and riff and general sound , it might have sounded like Testify or something from a Mick solo album.

As for you thinking Keith dried up about 85' I'd say sure, but Mick dried up a whole lot more when it comes to writing great songs, and by the way i don't consider Crosseyed Heart dried up, far from it, someone needs to get Keith in the Studio and inspire those creative juices out of him, sadly Mick is no longer capable of doing that or willing to do that.

Date: April 30, 2020 13:47

<Testify or something from a Mick solo album>

Ronnie smoking smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 30, 2020 14:52

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 30, 2020 15:36

keithsman
Mathijs

Mathijs

Absolutely agree with the first part of your post, Keith was definitely responsible for most of those great meaningful sounds and memerable songs in the 60's, and of course the masterpiece Exile was very much down to Keith and it's well documented that at that time Keith was very much relied upon, people waiting and waiting for the creative Keith to arrive and trying to work around Keith's hours of functioning.

But most fans are aware that the best music , the music this band is famous for, and 70% of the music that is played live is very much down to Keith and the sound he creates with those monster intros and killer riffs, that's what puts the chills down your spine musically speaking, of course it would be nothing without Mick's singing, Keith is the sound of the music, Mick is the voice, that's how I'm hearing it.

Someone will comment in a minute that Brown Sugar is all Mick for instance to sway the discussion and try to turn it upside down, but even if you give Brown Sugar to Mick, what would that song have achieved without Keith's amazing intro and riff and general sound , it might have sounded like Testify or something from a Mick solo album.

As for you thinking Keith dried up about 85' I'd say sure, but Mick dried up a whole lot more when it comes to writing great songs, and by the way i don't consider Crosseyed Heart dried up, far from it, someone needs to get Keith in the Studio and inspire those creative juices out of him, sadly Mick is no longer capable of doing that or willing to do that.

As typical, you really can't see such an honest question in trying to figure out the facts who did and what as anything else but a just another dick measure contest between Jagger and Richards. And we all know which one you suck.

- Doxa

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 30, 2020 15:39

keithsman

Crosseyed Heart was mostly a bunch of left-overs from 1988 to 2003, with some covers added to it.

Whilst much of Jagger's output is not my taste, he did have quite a lot of new songs in the 90's and 2000's, both Stones and solo. Voodoo Lounge, BtB and BB were mostly Mick's songs, and he had quite a prolific solo output.

Mathijs

Date: April 30, 2020 15:56

DandelionPowderman

Ronnie smoking smiley

Sorry DP i meant Mother Of A Man, how you doing mate, well i hope.

Date: April 30, 2020 16:07

No too bad, Riffie. Weird times.

Date: April 30, 2020 16:17

Doxa
keithsman
Mathijs

Mathijs

As typical, you really can't see such an honest question in trying to figure out the facts who did and what as anything else but a just another dick measure contest between Jagger and Richards. And we all know which one you suck.

- Doxa

A typical response from you, I'm just putting it out there as i see and hear it, the poster of the thread wants to know who is responsible for the music and songwriting credits for the Stones.
I thought that was an honest accurate account without going into your typical miss leading details.
If someone comes up to me and askes who writes the music for the Stones they don't want to read an essay on the assumed fantasy world of someone called Doxa, i don't tell them i have just the answer for you, there's this guy on iorr that loves Mick so much that he will convince you Mick Jagger did in fact write everything any good for the Stones and if you disagree it must be because you want to suck the lead guitarist.

Be honest Doxa the thread tittle is provocative, it's either designed to create a dick measuring contest or give the poster the credit of doubt it's a nieve question, it says Jagger Richards compositions, so it's a dick measuring contest and musically Keith wins, dress it up how you wish, Keith was the main songwriter in the peak era.

Date: April 30, 2020 16:22

DandelionPowderman
No too bad, Riffie. Weird times.

That's good to hear thumbs up, yeah sad and confusing times , take care mate.smiling smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1656
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home