Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: Any love for "Mixed Emotions"?
Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: May 10, 2020 20:37

Liked it a lot and still do.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 10, 2020 20:45

GasLightStreet
Witness
To me both "She Was Hot" and "Highwire" are great songs, whereas "Mixed Emotions", considered up against their career, is a rather moderate song from a moderate album.

[ Whether the only outright great song on STEEL WHEELS, "Continental Drift", might have become something approaching a hit, if released as a single, I really am uncertain about. ]

Remove the instrumental part of Continental Drift - what do you have?

A really bad Jagger solo album, Love Comes At The Speed Of Light, most likely a leftover from PRIMITIVE COOL. It makes sense - it has a similar dorky music aspect to it like Party Doll and Primitive Cool do. Keith got so bored with it he shoved a comb or a spoon or a knife into the spokes of a spinning bicycle wheel to give it "percussion".

Why should I leave out the instrumenral part? It is the whole that counts. The parts as parts of the whole. And seen from the other side, that song serves the instrumental part in a brilliant way, at least for this listener.

Added: The one other song that "Continental Drift" is distantly in family with, I would say would be " Can You Hear the Music".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-10 20:53 by Witness.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 10, 2020 23:24

Witness
GasLightStreet
Witness
To me both "She Was Hot" and "Highwire" are great songs, whereas "Mixed Emotions", considered up against their career, is a rather moderate song from a moderate album.

[ Whether the only outright great song on STEEL WHEELS, "Continental Drift", might have become something approaching a hit, if released as a single, I really am uncertain about. ]

Remove the instrumental part of Continental Drift - what do you have?

A really bad Jagger solo album, Love Comes At The Speed Of Light, most likely a leftover from PRIMITIVE COOL. It makes sense - it has a similar dorky music aspect to it like Party Doll and Primitive Cool do. Keith got so bored with it he shoved a comb or a spoon or a knife into the spokes of a spinning bicycle wheel to give it "percussion".

Why should I leave out the instrumenral part? It is the whole that counts. The parts as parts of the whole. And seen from the other side, that song serves the instrumental part in a brilliant way, at least for this listener.

Added: The one other song that "Continental Drift" is distantly in family with, I would say would be " Can You Hear the Music".

Because it's two different things, that's all. So remove that instrumental part, which was brilliantly used as the intro music for the tours, and you've got something that should've been left off the album.

Date: May 11, 2020 00:29

Well, I presented my own view on the relation between whole and parts in my preceding post.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: May 11, 2020 01:00

Remove instruments from Start Me Up and what you have left?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 11, 2020 01:04

a way cool accapella sex-song .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 11, 2020 01:43

Witness
Well, I presented my own view on the relation between whole and parts in my preceding post.

If they hadn't've gotten the phone call the instrumental bit wouldn't exist and it'd be filler.

Date: May 11, 2020 07:07

GasLightStreet
Witness

If they hadn't've gotten the phone call the instrumental bit wouldn't exist and it'd be filler.

Without the instrumental bit, we don't know what "it" would have been. Possibly, an unfinished studio outtake. Or a song that might have been given some kind of musical treatment or other development. All of that is unnecessary speculation, however, we are favoured with what the song ended up as.

Much, much later edit: A missing letter added.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-27 13:50 by Witness.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1236
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home