Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Any love for "Mixed Emotions"?
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 1, 2020 15:20

Unfortunately, there is only one dance remix of this song made by Chris Kimsey. So we can not evaluate the complete glory of the track. Can you imagine how good would be Oh-Oh Hard Dub Dirty Hands Extended Sexy Trance Perfecto Straight Vocal Soul Solution Bonus Roll In Hand with Fluke Deep Dish Grunge Garage Remix Edit?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 1, 2020 15:21

Dirty Work and Steel Wheels both were disappointments for me,....things changed at that point....and Mixed Emotions sort of represents a blandness that they haven't recovered from....Mick and Keith can/have done better..

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 1, 2020 15:34

Mixed Emotions and Highwire...last great songs

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: March 1, 2020 15:51

If you like it for the chorus, you should get into this track called Too Tight

Date: March 1, 2020 15:52

Its more in your face and less pretentious

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 1, 2020 16:03

I loved it when it came out. Bought the 45, was severely intrigued by the B-side. After 1991 I stopped listening to STEEL WHEELS so whenever it came on listening to JUMP BACK and later, FORTY LICKS, it was fun. Nowadays my girlfriend will play JUMP BACK in the car and she sings it.

1000 times better than RAAHP. Not a great song by any means but as far as their "recent" output ie The Vegas Years, it's alright.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: March 1, 2020 16:18

It has a nice ring to it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 1, 2020 16:19

stones40
Mixed Emotions reached No5 in USA which was the Stones last big single hit
Which was quite a surprise for to everyone.

I don't recall that as being a surprise...they were still hitting the top ten with their lead singles up to that point, and they hadn't had an album in 3 years.

By comparison, Harlem Shuffle was a #5, (pretty good considering it was a cover), Undercover Of The Night #9, pretty uncommercial song for the time, SMU #2, and Emotional Rescue #3.

Re: The Fonda Theater.
Date: March 1, 2020 16:59

sonyzzz
I have been a fan all my life at 58 years old. I listened to Sticky Fingers from Vault with a quality set of headphones. Frank Sinatra, I am a huge fan and a slew of others. This album is a masterpiece, Mick's voice never sounded better. I don't understand at that age how this could be. Sinatra's voice change very much, but I loved it. Cigarettes and smoking never helped. Elton John completing lost his voice, as a Stones fan we are very lucky, for me the band is on fire. And their all in their 70's when this was recorded.

you don't understand how in 1989 this could be? mick was in his mid 40's then, better studio tricks to enhance a voice and he really hadn't done a tour in about 7 years so his voice was rested. not that hard to figure out

Date: March 1, 2020 17:05

that post is just in the wrong thread

Date: March 1, 2020 17:38

Nikkei
that post is just in the wrong thread

oh. well I see now stick fingers live mentioned and micks voice is not better than it ever sounded on that release

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 1, 2020 17:59

Sighunt
...as far as I'm concerned, one of their last great rock and roll hits.

yes! "Jump On Top" and "Love Is Strong", being among the others.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 1, 2020 18:24

I liked it in `89 and for 3-4 more years.

But in general, I think it's good when they play "1986 onwards" material at tours after Bill Wyman left, the Hot Rocks/Rewind songs are such letdowns compared to how they played them in the 60s and 70s.

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: March 1, 2020 18:39

This was actually the song that got me into Stones. Heard it at a 9th grade school farewell party and went out and bought Steel Wheels the next day, and never looked back since!

I quite enjoy listening to it from time to time. As a songwriter I especially enjoy the chorus and in hindsight I think even Max Martin would appriciate the strong opening ;-)

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 1, 2020 19:29

The song was as good as one could get in 1989, if some other band could record a song as good as Mixed Emotions, it would be their career highlight, a Top 5 hit.

But it was a Stones song, and we know, Rocks Off is better, All Down The Line is better...

The same goes on with any post 1981 stuff... and some people still want new stuff released when they trash any stuff of the past 35-40 years.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 1, 2020 19:29

It is so interesting to me how a lot of the Stones fans on this board pan Mixed Emotions and the Steel Wheels album in general. And I get it, because at first listen, it was hard to get through the over production of this album as compared to earlier efforts. But as a whole Steel Wheels had several solid tracks on it: Mixed Emotions, Sad Sad Sad, Almost Hear You Sigh, Slipping Away, Hold on to Your Hat, Terrifying (yes the lyrics could have been tightened up a little bit), and my personal oddity piece that has grown on me over the years simply because it was different: Continental Drift.

Date: March 1, 2020 19:44

georgelicks
The song was as good as one could get in 1989, if some other band could record a song as good as Mixed Emotions, it would be their career highlight, a Top 5 hit.

But it was a Stones song, and we know, Rocks Off is better, All Down The Line is better...

The same goes on with any post 1981 stuff... and some people still want new stuff released when they trash any stuff of the past 35-40 years.

not going that far. many other bands recorded much better songs than mixed emotions

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: March 1, 2020 19:46

Steel Wheels stood up when it came out. It was of the time period. We can only hope that their new music will have some jump to it. I would take Steel Wheels seven days a week over a Bigger Bang. The stones were at least attempting to be relevant. I prefer Voodoo/Bridges for the "Modern sound" of the stones but Steel Wheels is fine. It has it's place within their catalogue.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 1, 2020 20:06

georgelicks

I think it's the other way around - if some other band wold have recorded a song as bad as Mixed Emotions, they would have been laughed right out of the business.
But being this was a tune from The Rolling Stones, the name of the band carried some weight which allowed it to do as well as it did in the charts.

As for post 1981 stuff, there's lots of material that's better than Mixed Emotions including several originals, along with their cover of Harlem Shuffle and the Blue and Lonesome covers album as a whole.
Looking forward to new stuff, and there's always hope it will be good just as there's always been hope when it comes to new Rolling Stones material - it doesn't always pan out that way, but it's good to have hope.
First things first though - they have to release new material before any of us will ever find out if it's good or not. All we know now is that it's been called "uneven" in the past, and has been continuously delayed - but still, there's hope.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-01 20:07 by Hairball.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 1, 2020 20:59

Mixed Emotions is a B-Plus single. Sometimes they start out with a second level song as the first single, followed by the best song as the second single. Unfortunately for SW, there is no big followup. A lot of good, sometimes great album cuts, but no single.

I was driving an old van with only an AM radio. First I heard the drums, and wondered. Then I heard the choking bass and knew it was Bill. It's a Rolling Stones single. It tells the story of where the band was, reunited after some problems. I'll turn it up if it comes on.

Date: March 1, 2020 21:02

24FPS
Mixed Emotions is a B-Plus single. Sometimes they start out with a second level song as the first single, followed by the best song as the second single. Unfortunately for SW, there is no big followup. A lot of good, sometimes great album cuts, but no single.

I was driving an old van with only an AM radio. First I heard the drums, and wondered. Then I heard the choking bass and knew it was Bill. It's a Rolling Stones single. It tells the story of where the band was, reunited after some problems. I'll turn it up if it comes on.

Almost Hear You Sigh was a great single, imo.

Date: March 1, 2020 21:07

DandelionPowderman
24FPS

yes almost hear you sigh is the highlight of that album

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: March 1, 2020 23:50

I personally like "Mixed Emotions." I will admit the verses are poorly written but it's the chorus that makes the song for me.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 2, 2020 01:01

Light weight souly-pop-rocker knocked out
by Mick-Charlie-Woody at the end of a session …

Not a big fave but when that intro slams out
radio and pace picks up its aged better than imagined it would …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bam ()
Date: March 2, 2020 01:43

bam
I loved Mixed Emotions when it came out, and still like the album version. Mick’s vocals were angry. The song had a bite to it that live performances haven’t always had.

The Desert Trip version (which I only saw on video) missed that bite. That performance didn’t have Keith singing. The song works in part because of the blend of Mick’s voice with Keith —- and how that makes us think about their relationship. Having the backup singers singing with Keith and Mick — as it was usually performed on the road —- diluted that bite. Having the backup singers without Keith didn’t cut it at all.

Official promo video: [m.youtube.com]
Tokyo 1990: [m.youtube.com]
Desert: [m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-08 03:50 by bam.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 2, 2020 01:49

Monitor mix really bring out the guitars.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 2, 2020 01:57

Better than One Hit, not as good as Highwire. Solid nonetheless. thumbs up

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 2, 2020 05:30

shadooby
Better than One Hit, not as good as Highwire. Solid nonetheless. thumbs up

I like it better than both One Hit & Highwire. And agree, a solid track.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 2, 2020 09:00

DandelionPowderman
24FPS

Yes, but by the public reaction, not a great, popular single. It's a very mature Stones, and who the hell wanted that in 1989?

Date: March 2, 2020 09:47

24FPS
DandelionPowderman
24FPS

Yes, but by the public reaction, not a great, popular single. It's a very mature Stones, and who the hell wanted that in 1989?

We gotta come to terms with them being old by then. Brilliant track, but hard for 46 year olds to claim their relevancy by releasing good music alone.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2175
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home